Micargi General

GoldenMotor.com

-=theGeneral=-

May 21, 2010
Long Beach
Hello all,
I am in the adjustment stage of my newly fired motorbike. I call it the General, thus my screen name. It's a Micargi General with a Grubee-Starfire GT4 engine and EPA muffler combo (i live in California). I got a few new parts for it recently, so new photos are to come. This is what I have built so far. I plan on attaching ammo cans and a toolbox on the rear rack ( to come ), and these will house all my tools, storage, and electrical circuits. I recently purchased a rear axle kickstand and an aftermarket air filter. I look forward to extending the exhaust towards the rear later on as well. Any suggestions for my new baby?

Attachments

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
TheGeneral,
You have fantastic taste in motorized bicycles! I too am a huge fan of Micargi's General. I've had mine for about a year now - I worked on it all through this past winter when it was too crappy outside to ride. Upgraded some stuff and added a few parts, and really dialed it in.
And then I had the bright idea to "port" the cylinder without really learning what I was doing first! So I destroyed my engine in the process, and I probably won't be able to buy a replacement for a few more months still...
But anyway it's nice to see another Micargi General out there. Enjoy the ride!

Attachments

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
Oi Cannonfish!

Where did you find that seat! I love that style, looks like I could still mount my 50 Cal. Cans in the rear too for my cargo. And seeing that triple crown gives me alot of hope for my marzocchi drop off triple to be compatible.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I like Macargi bikes, the General looks like a Pantera frame and I build a lot on that frame, end Big Red, my 4-stroke 3-speed shifter is on one.
What has bummed me out with the new ones is they moved the cranks forward.
Dandy for a direct drive but a real pain for a jackshafted shifter.

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
NorthEastRiot,
Thanks! The seat came from www.choppersus.com (it's just a bannana seat, you could probably find them anywhere). The seatpost was cut and welded back about 4" to move the seat backwards a bit, and the supports for the back part of the seat are made out of electrical conduit.

Just a thought, your Marzocchi triple fork might have a 1.25" steering tube on it (most higher-end forks and bikes use that diameter)... while the Micargi General has a 1" diameter head tube. It took some searching before I found a disc-brake-compatible fork with a 1" tube (ultimately found it on eBay)... I only wish I had the front suspension you're going to have on yours - that will be sweet.

Good luck!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hello all,
I am in the adjustment stage of my newly fired motorbike. I call it the General, thus my screen name. It's a Micargi General with a Grubee-Starfire GT4 engine and EPA muffler combo (i live in California). I got a few new parts for it recently, so new photos are to come. This is what I have built so far. I plan on attaching ammo cans and a toolbox on the rear rack ( to come ), and these will house all my tools, storage, and electrical circuits. I recently purchased a rear axle kickstand and an aftermarket air filter. I look forward to extending the exhaust towards the rear later on as well. Any suggestions for my new baby?
The General looks great. Good job on the color coordination.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
NorthEastRiot,
Thanks! The seat came from www.choppersus.com (it's just a bannana seat, you could probably find them anywhere). The seatpost was cut and welded back about 4" to move the seat backwards a bit, and the supports for the back part of the seat are made out of electrical conduit.

Just a thought, your Marzocchi triple fork might have a 1.25" steering tube on it (most higher-end forks and bikes use that diameter)... while the Micargi General has a 1" diameter head tube. It took some searching before I found a disc-brake-compatible fork with a 1" tube (ultimately found it on eBay)... I only wish I had the front suspension you're going to have on yours - that will be sweet.

Good luck!
Man when I was a kid a bannana seat was the "in thing" to have! I rode many an hour on dirt hills on one. Don't remember anyone having ADD OCC you got your but paddled if you didn't act right in class back then LOL! I really do think by burning off the natural energy kids have they didn't have the issues a lot of kids have today. You had to do something back then to get a thrill...run around 6 flags, go swimmin....somethin not just play with a joystick.

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
Yeah I've always been into downhill mountain biking but never thought about getting a cruiser and throwin a motor on it so it's my new adventure. I'll have photos of it up soon I haven't even gotten the motor in yet but once it's here I'll have a black flying horse engine, marzocchi drop off fronts suspension, Chris King headset, xtr shadow chains, and that's really all that'll fit at the moment. I couldn't believe that the brakes it came with are those pedal brakes, so what did you do to the rear to be able to have the space for everyone and throw disc brakes on?

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
NorthEastRiot,
Most definitely, I was under-impressed and a little afraid of the coaster brake by itself - the one I had didn't do a very good job of stopping the bike. I replaced it with a roller-brake on the rear wheel (plus the disc-brake in the front). Here is a link to some pictures of my installation - specifically look at step five: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=14721

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress!

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
NorthEastRiot,

Good luck!
Your right about the front end. Looks like I am going to have to weld it on. I believe it is a good enough investment and I'll strengthen all the other weld points on the frame at the same time. Now I'm looking at carbs and expansion chambers, Ive read great things about the CNC Carb. You have any suggestions? Also I am rebuilding the rear to hold 2 .50 Cal Ammunition cases like "saddlebags" with a 20" banana seat and a sissy bar with black cushioning. Mounted to the sissy bar 5 gal. Jerry Can. Hopefully with mavic 720 rims with Michelin performance tires.

Last edited:

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
I honestly went into this motor bike project because I lost my license. I have a very good knowledge of bikes but I come from a pro downhill perspective so speed means alot to me. I wanted to try a motor bike because all I have todo is add a motor but I was so used to a more universal system of products that this is very new to me. I mean I haven't seen a bike with pedal brakes since the 90's and I get the general in and what do I have, but pedal brakes.

It's great though because now I get to relearn everything I forgot and possibly one day make a downhill motor bike.