Leaping Tuna air cleaner

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
what abought finer particles like dirt and dust? are you not worried?
No, I'm not worried as I think the stainless steel scrubber will stop just about everything, especially when it accumulates some blowback gas & oil. It would be easy enough to substitute foam rubber with the pot scrubber and still use the tuna can. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know enough to advocate the pot scrubber thing for others. People should use their own good judgment with everything on this forum. You are wise to question.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The filter that came in my BGF was what looked like a 1/8 inch thick very large pore foam filter,wouldn't stop much more than large clumps and those d**n mosquitoes

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Silver,
I'm always amazed what you can do with tin cans and bicycles. Thanks for sharing. Just wondering what your filter would look like with louvers instead of holes. You could make little slices in the metal and bend them outward...:)
Anyway, not to highjack your thread but since we're talking about cheap alternatives to aftermarket parts I thought I'd toss this hat in the ring. It's a poor man's chrome air cleaner made from a spray paint can top. Close inspection will tell what it is but from a couple of steps away it adds a bit of shine to the engine and it cost virtually nothing, unless you count the price of the rattle can chrome paint. A little work with a Dremel, a self tapping sheetmetal screw and presto, a chrome air filter. It completely covers/hides the original plastic kit supplied one and looks better, I think. The neat thing is you could use the top from whatever paint you use on the bike and have a color matched air cleaner.
Tom
Clear coat it when done and it will be even beter

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey Curtis,
Do you know of a good clear coat? I've tried a couple kinds before that weren't really very clear. I'd like to find a good one.
SB
Silver,
I've had good luck with a model airplane product from TopFlight, called LustreKote. I'll look for a link for you. It should be available at any good hobby shop that caters to the flying model airplane crowd. It's fuel proof and has a nice shine.

Edit: here's some info> http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/lustrekote.html
Tom

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Silver,
I've had good luck with a model airplane product from TopFlight, called LustreKote. I'll look for a link for you. It should be available at any good hobby shop that caters to the flying model airplane crowd. It's fuel proof and has a nice shine.
Tom
I have used Plasti-kote and Krylon Some times it takes a couple of coats.
I will try TopFlight see how it works.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks guys.
SB
If you wet sand your parts with 1,500 or 2,000 sand papper before clear coat. It will come out extra smoth and shiny. You should practes with the clear coat ,if you get it to close it will get milky.
Just like anything the more time you spen the better it comes out.......Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Barely, this one's for you. The stainless steel scrubber breathes nicely without a single bug inhaled. Although it takes a while to get accustomed to the metal taste, I like the look as it hides missing teeth and gives a sparkling countenance. It makes me feel special as if I stand out in the crowd, one set apart and unafraid to be a little different than your average bear.
SB

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silver bear, just painting the last parts of the bike but glad to see you. From what my Dad told me about living in that neck of the woods you live in, that if a skeeter hits you they are so big, a pot scrubber is of little use except to identify the remains.

Steve.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
No, I'm not worried as I think the stainless steel scrubber will stop just about everything, especially when it accumulates some blowback gas & oil. It would be easy enough to substitute foam rubber with the pot scrubber and still use the tuna can. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know enough to advocate the pot scrubber thing for others. People should use their own good judgment with everything on this forum. You are wise to question.
SB
But when the fuel dries and the particles such as dirt dust sand are left it will possibly suck those particles right into your engine, maby not but it is probable.wee.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The gasoline will ofc evaporate - but it leaves the 2 stroke oil behind, which will serve to trap the smaller particles like sand and dust. Periodic examination will show how well it's working, if the side closest to the engine is also covered in grit - it's not fine enough.

Bsides, compared to stock itsa Fram lol

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I also think you need to use judgment based on where your ride. If you ride dusty roads or the beach then there will be a lot of dust and sand. I don't. I really wasn't kidding about bugs as I think that in my part of the world especially in May, June and July there are plenty and are of more concern than sand. Sometimes I'll ride through a swarm of gnats in the evening and it feels like you're being peppered with sand. I wear glasses anyway, but if I didn't I'd have eye protection for sure. Each environment has it's own conditions. I'm not saying that a stainless steel scrubber is as good as a K&N commercial filter. It probably isn't, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the stock air filters that come in our kits and even with those I haven't had a problem in the past. I was more motivated by how much I don't like plastic and wanted something that looked more like it could be vintage and more in keeping with something from 1939... also something in my budget. I get two scrubbers for a buck at the dollar store. If you eat tuna fish anyway then the can is free. Besides, I'm not really advocating, just reporting and sharing the home made stuff I think is kind of cool. I just yesterday made a little tail light from a cat food can. I've shined it up and want to try the clear coat on it. When i find appropriate red lens material I may mount it on my old Elgin. I like the way it looks. It's my bike and I 'can'. It's a kick making your own stuff, especially something out of nothing. Fabricating is just plain fun!
SB