Build #6- 5 speed Repco 24" wheels!

GoldenMotor.com

Jonda500

May 10, 2014
Canberra, Australia
Just got this one fired up today! Not quite finished as I am impatiently waiting for the new chrome handle bars that I ordered to arrive.

the air filter sits less than a millimetre from the frame so I have to undo the engine mounts to get the carb or the filter off- I guess I'll have to get a slimmer air filter for it!

I used the original left side friction gearshifter as the clutch lever.

I had to buy a new rear derailleur to get the twist grip shifter to be compatible.
For such a little bike it's surprisingly heavy but it's great fun- tomorrow I will swap the original freewheel for a new 14-34 that I got for it.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Nicely done. Did the bike originally have 24" wheels?
If it originally had 26" wheels, I was curious how you made the rim brakes
work with the 24" wheels.

Jonda500

May 10, 2014
Canberra, Australia
Yes the bike did come with 24" wheels (with nice wide chrome plated steel CMC rims) and chromed steel brake calipers which actually work better than I expected! I disassembled the wheels to clean up the chrome properly- they came up nice, the brake calipers I also pulled apart to polish but alas they were too rusty to shine up fully. The 2.5" maxxis hookworm tyres look and feel great although the front one doesn't clear the forks by much at all!

The HD lightning ignition works well- I have 4 of these and also 2 jaguar ones. I have switched between the 2 and can't notice any difference in performance. The challenge I set myself was to mount all 6 coils and CDIs without using any plastic zipties. Aside from easier starting and maybe a little less misfiring, they don't seem to perform any different to the original cheap chinese units (all my engines are stock standard unmodified though), but I feel more comfortable about using really high RPMs and think they will be more reliable in the long run.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the opinion on the CDIs. I just ordered the Jaguar for the stock engine. My engine is basically unmodded also. I was impressed that the advance curves retard at higher rpms. I bought the hype about the stock CDI being hard on the bottom end. Hope I can get mine mounted as nicely as yours.

Jonda500

May 10, 2014
Canberra, Australia
My chrome handlebars finally came - they were ridiculously narrow so I extended both ends by two inches.
I fitted a little rack and the speedo from the bike that this motor was previously in. I guess the speedo will now read around 10% slow but due to the 24" wheels :( oh well...

I was well pleased when my "poo poo" exhaust system actually fitted this bike, but then when I rode it I was astonished at the vast improvement in the engines performance - the random four stroking that used to occur when ever the throttle wasn't wide open and whenever the revs got too high is completely gone!! I'd been trying to fix this problem for months but eventually gave up and bought a new engine kit for the bike that this engine was in. This is one of my best bikes now!

The headlight is mounted on a cut down reflector mount and powered by a wonderful creations lighting coil that this motor has in it. It is permanently on and has only one wire as it earths through the frame.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Jonda500- I had similar problems with air filter clearance.
Maybe you can do something like this; http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45595&page=2 Post #5

Trey

Also, I have since tightened up the clearance between filter and carb, but didn't notice any difference in performance. This set-up has worked well. There is also an offset made for this problem, but why buy something when you could build something?! ;)

Last edited: