New to the motor bicycle world!

GoldenMotor.com

Cgk_iii

Sep 5, 2013
San mateo
Hey guys just got a Chinese made motor for my beach cruiser. What a project this bike turned out to be. Im very familiar with cars (especially the BMW E30) but never got my hands on small engines or bicycles for that matter. It took me a total f about 8hours to complete the bike because of all the problems i ran into and i went into this project completely blind with general knowledge on how every motor is supposed to work.. Mind you, that i dont have any type of bicycle tools what so ever. First thing was putting the wheel hub assembly together followed by the sprocket the kit came with. Then shortening the chain which was a pain since i had to use a dremel to remove a few links. After, I Hooked up the clutch, throttle, and mounted the motor to the frame. I've never worked with such a small carb before so that was a bit of a challenge figuring out how that went together. Finally everything was assembled and the last piece was the exhaust pipe.....doesn't clear the pedal!!?! So i brought out the torch and vice and bent that sucker into the right position. Everything's assembled wires in the proper position an everything zip tied neatly. I figured i would take it out or a spin and came to realize the wheel was locked up with the clutch engaged AND disengaged.. So dam frustrating ill tell you what.. Finally dug into the gear box and noticed that the clutch plate was WAY too tight against the pads :-|| Readjusted everything and everything is finally smooth sailing!! Im in love with this bike already called out sick to work and cruised around san mateo all day today. Anyways i thought I'd share my story with all of you! Ill definitely be referring to this forum for any advice i need! Ill post pics of my bike in a little bit dance1

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the forum and the exciting world of motorized bicycles. its a great fun and satisfying hobby, great to have you with us.

Cgk_iii

Sep 5, 2013
San mateo
Wow what a day.. Frst let me thank everyone for welcoming me to the forum! Sooo Nothing but problems so far :( seems like there is a lot of fabrication thats going to be needed with this bike. Its really fun and im enjoying the "head turner" factor but its one thing after another with this thing. Not going to give up though. I have to lock it up by the train station today until im able to get a truck and take it back to my place for work. Looks like im going to have to replace the rear hub and get a smaller tire to clear the chain my tire is now starting to show its tread.. Definitely more of a weekend you rather than a daily.

CranbrookKid

Jul 14, 2013
Western MA
Welcome from another motorized bicycle newbie. These bikes are addictive, before you know it you'll be building another one. Could you get a thinner tire and use the kit tensioner and tilt it away from the wheel just a smidge to make some room for chain?

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
Welcome!

What type of bike are we dealing with?

Pictures?
please! (it really helps to see what we are dealing with.)

I'm going to guess it is a beach cruiser of some sort with a coaster brake. Possibly a Huffy.
Did you open up the hole in the rear sprocket, or just mount it and throw away the dust cap on the hub? (been there done that.)
do you ride fast and jam on the brakes to "try" to stop quickly?
stopping these things with a coaster brake generates a LOT of heat which goes straight to the bearings which overheat and self destruct.

buying a new Hub is where i am at right now as well, and was advised that this is a good direction to go.
http://www.amazon.com/Hub-Shimano-Cb-E110-105G-Trim/dp/B004E3N02E or you can buy a complete wheel with a Shimano. (There are other more expensive, and/or better options, but this seems to be the best bang for the buck.)

Aric

Aug 8, 2013
maine
could always put a spacer in the hub extra washer or three just to give you clearance..but first an foremost make sure your tire is aligned correctly

Cgk_iii

Sep 5, 2013
San mateo
Sorry for such a late response to you all! I've been dealing a lot with my cars and unfortunately have had no time to mess with the bike it's been sitting for quite some time now and im just recently getting back to the build.

Well now im back and determined to get this thing rolling again.
Been looking into the following upgrades:
-Hub/sprocket adapters
-free wheel hub
-new wheels and tires
-front and rear brake kit
-dual brake lever

I figured with these upgrades i will be riding SAFELY. Speed can come later brnot

If anyone has any recommendations on what brands or sites i should be browsing for parts let me know!

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
I recommend disc brakes, at least for the front. I have front disc, coaster rear & I can tell you that having the option of being able to lock up the back wheel in a panic stop has saved me more than once from inattentive drivers who assume that when they see you on a bicycle that you aren't traveling faster than 10-15 mph. That aside, the majority of my braking comes from the front wheel. I do not trust rim clamp brakes, even for pedal power. They just don't grab hard enough for my satisfaction.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sadly I know this Huffy.

A guy bought it on Craigs for a 'great deal' but brought it me to repair because it 'never ran right'.

No kidding, the motor mount was crap, the back hub was toast, tensioner toast, no air cleaner, etc.

I gave him $100 off a new build I just happened to have on hand as I would have charged him more than that to fix the POS and it would still be one.

So I dropped $100 to get the $50 gasbike.net HD band brake hub with sprocket and had my local bike shop lace it into the wheel with the Huffy 12g spokes for another $50.

So $200 plus all the other new parts like front brake, dual pull lever, SBP front mount and time to make it 'acceptable'.

Nothing but problems still.
I just gave it to Cole my mechanic as a 'bonus'...
Pffft, more like a headache.
I guess it has frame cracks now and breaking front and rear spokes that puncture up through the rim even with the 'bullet proof' setup I do with HD tubes and liners.

I am not going to Huffy Puffy about trying to build a decent reliable motorized bicycle on a $100 WallyWorld bike other than recommend against it.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
That sucks KC, inheriting someone's problem child. Just making it right can cost more than just scratch building a new bike. And even when completed, it's STILL a used bike.

Theres a guy here on my local Craigslist trying to sell a used China Girl for $60.00 Claims its a 69cc GT5 he acquired in a trade. No way of knowing how used or abused it is or how many miles are on it. I doubt I will get it, could be more trouble that its worth.

Cgk_iii

Sep 5, 2013
San mateo
I recommend disc brakes, at least for the front. I have front disc, coaster rear & I can tell you that having the option of being able to lock up the back wheel in a panic stop has saved me more than once from inattentive drivers who assume that when they see you on a bicycle that you aren't traveling faster than 10-15 mph. That aside, the majority of my braking comes from the front wheel. I do not trust rim clamp brakes, even for pedal power. They just don't grab hard enough for my satisfaction.

Great advice! The only problem that i had with the coaster brake was that it burned up so quickly (almost like the previous owner didn't have grease in the hub) i dont mind having rim clamps so i might go with that but not too sure yet.

Cgk_iii

Sep 5, 2013
San mateo
Sadly I know this Huffy.

A guy bought it on Craigs for a 'great deal' but brought it me to repair because it 'never ran right'.

No kidding, the motor mount was crap, the back hub was toast, tensioner toast, no air cleaner, etc.

I gave him $100 off a new build I just happened to have on hand as I would have charged him more than that to fix the POS and it would still be one.

So I dropped $100 to get the $50 gasbike.net HD band brake hub with sprocket and had my local bike shop lace it into the wheel with the Huffy 12g spokes for another $50.

So $200 plus all the other new parts like front brake, dual pull lever, SBP front mount and time to make it 'acceptable'.

Nothing but problems still.
I just gave it to Cole my mechanic as a 'bonus'...
Pffft, more like a headache.
I guess it has frame cracks now and breaking front and rear spokes that puncture up through the rim even with the 'bullet proof' setup I do with HD tubes and liners.

I am not going to Huffy Puffy about trying to build a decent reliable motorized bicycle on a $100 WallyWorld bike other than recommend against it.
I know exactly what you mean. The frame on these huffys are soooo weak! Im thinking of getting a new platform to build on like a schwin. Hopefully i will be able to fin a good bike for the low.. Or i might go with a frame that one of the suppliers offers. Well see what my budget allows me to do for now.