Attention Biknut

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Hey biknut,

I read your post some time ago long before I ever considered making a motorized bike. I have an old quote from you, is there any chance you can get me some sources on this? Or update it?

This is the straight skinny, and I know everything, so forget what everyone else says because none of them know squat compared to me. I even tell the local police what the law says.

In Texas all motor vehicles are considered self propelled. Read that again, and understand it. Self propelled means, that with the motor running, you can just ride it off totally under it's own power from a stop. If you can't do that, it's not self propelled, so it's not a motor vehicle. If it's not considered a motor vehicle, you don't need a license for it. It doesn't make any difference what size the motor is.

A car is self propelled. A motorcycle is self propelled. A moped is self propelled. A motor bicycle is ???????? maybe, maybe not self propelled. That's why it's a gray area.

Texas law makes no specific mention of gas powered motor bicycles. A typical china girl style motor bicycle, cannot ride off from a dead stop totally under it's own power. They must be peddled up to at least a few mph before letting the clutch out. That's what makes them legal. I talked this point over with the head of the, TDOT motorcycle safety division in Austin, and they told me that's what makes it a gray area in Texas law. They said as far as they're concerned it's up to each locality to decide what to do about enforcement.

The reality is we ride free all over the state without harassment. I live in Dallas, and ride in 7 local cities with no problems in 2 years. If you should get a ticket it will probably be for riding an unregistered moped. If you pay the ticket they will take your money. If you challenge the ticket it will most likely be dismissed without comment. No prosecutor wants to take a chance on losing a court action, and setting precedent for the entire state. At the time I talked to the TDOT they told me there had never been a conviction in Texas for riding a motorized bicycle.

Some people will tell you about a moped under 50cc is legal, but that law was changed last January, and never applied to us anyway.

You might like to browse my Texas thread.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=26328
Thanks,
-the shake-

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
This is the straight skinny, and I know everything, so forget what everyone else says because none of them know squat compared to me. I even tell the local police what the law says.

at least he has nut in his name hahaha:)
And bik too ? Nut lighter? laff I know nothing about everything and like it, so fugettabout it rotfl

Squat is a militant cumquat ? lol

dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey biknut,

I read your post some time ago long before I ever considered making a motorized bike. I have an old quote from you, is there any chance you can get me some sources on this? Or update it?

Thanks,
-the shake-
The source was the TDPS motorcycle safety division in Austin. You can call them and talk to them yourself, but it's been so long now I don't have their number anymore. I got the number from the local tax office. Some others have talked to them since I did, and basically were told the same thing.

If you're looking for iron clad legality, you're not going to find it, because there's no law in Texas that specifically covers gas powered motor bicycles.

The Texas DPS says they consider gas powered motor bicycles, just bicycles, but they said each locality will interpret the law for themselves. They are somewhat evasive answering what would constitute a legal, or illegal motor bicycle. They have their reasons for this.

Make sure your bike can't be considered self propelled, and you'll be safe from conviction of riding an unregistered moped. If any cop sees you ride off from a stop without pedaling, you're in violation.

That's the best information I can give you.

As far as know nothing has changed since that time in 2010. To Quote "we ride in a gray area of the law" I was told the DPS considers a gas powered motor bicycle just a bicycle.
in most cases.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You might like to keep an eye on this thread. Texas motor bicycle riders are encouraged to post their experiences about riding in Texas. So far not one person has reported any trouble with the police merely for riding a motor bicycle on the streets. I think one person was stopped for running a stop sign.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=26328

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That's one of my favorite threads BN. Keep telling Carol I wanna fly down just to hang out with you folks.

Last time, she replied; "bet it would beat riding from Hartford" LOL

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's one of my favorite threads BN. Keep telling Carol I wanna fly down just to hang out with you folks.

Last time, she replied; "bet it would beat riding from Hartford" LOL
We'd love to have you. So far the biggest ride we've had was 4 bikes. That's a pittiful showing for a city the size of Dallas.

Everywhere I ride people always ask questions about my bike, but they can't seem to get past the part about having to make it themselves.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear some more confirmation bias my way. I tend to respect the laws in regards to stop signs in lubbock texas. If I see anyone (even a biker) going down the same sidewalk I put it at the lowest possible throttle because I don't wanna rustle any jimmies. Seems OK so far. I had a cop drive by and stop and he was asking "how I got it" and whether I engaged the motor (i had killed it just before). I said "occasionally." And that was about it. I hope the rest of the people around here can respect some people walking down a sidewalk and not wing past em at 30mph. It's common sense really isn't it?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear some more confirmation bias my way. I tend to respect the laws in regards to stop signs in lubbock texas. If I see anyone (even a biker) going down the same sidewalk I put it at the lowest possible throttle because I don't wanna rustle any jimmies. Seems OK so far. I had a cop drive by and stop and he was asking "how I got it" and whether I engaged the motor (i had killed it just before). I said "occasionally." And that was about it. I hope the rest of the people around here can respect some people walking down a sidewalk and not wing past em at 30mph. It's common sense really isn't it?
I guess you already know it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk anywhere in the state. I know that law is usually not enforced, but I personally never motor down a sidewalk unless it's a short distance, and nobody is around.

I don't think the police will bother you riding your motor bicycle on the street as long as you're obeying all the traffic laws for a bicycle, but motoring on a sidewalk wouldn't be a good idea.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
And bik too ? Nut lighter? laff I know nothing about everything and like it, so fugettabout it rotfl

Squat is a militant cumquat ? lol

dnut
Scotto is my assistant know it all. He handles 4 strokes, and the race division.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I guess you already know it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk anywhere in the state.
Well, it's illegal to ride down a sidewalk on campus for sure. I got a ticket for riding a regular bike down a campus sidewalk. But on the streets for real? It would be suicide to ride a bike around texas roads. you know how these drivers are. Surely the sidewalk in front of my apts. is an exception. I'm literally in front of a highway. and if the motorists saw me physically on the road, I'd imagine they would get a lot more pissed than me being on the sidewalk. Sidewalks here are about 10ft wide and hardly get used. I swear I ride on these sidewalks 10X more than any pedestrian walks down em. I need to make a set of stripes =)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i believe there's a state law that makes it illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk. The only exception would be a sidewalk on private property, which would include some apartments.

I pedaled my motor bicycle on the sidewalk in front of police many times in the 2 1/2 years and no one has ever said anything to me.

Here in Farmers Branch I see people riding the sidewalks everyday with no problems, but surprisingly the only person I know that was stopped was a little kid who is my best friends son. Cop told him not to ride on the sidewalk. Go figure.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I once got yelled at by a passing cop who told me to "Get on the sidewalk!"
Lol!
There WAS no sidewalk on that road!
Cops are people too, some smart, some not so much.