question about cables

GoldenMotor.com

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
So I'm moving along on my remodel of my cruiser. The frame is polished and waiting for clear, next I'm gonna clean up the engine and polish some details. What I'm currently brainstorming is hiding my cables...all of them.
Brakes x2
Throttle
Kill switch.
I'd like to run the cables through copper or brass line. I've seen people using hot rod cloth, which looks great but I want metal. I'm concerned with flex, the cables move a little bit under load and I'm wondering if the rigid nature of the "brass conduit" will impede normal function?
Thoughts?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Avoid sharp bends in your cable housings and whatever you're hiding them inside. Long radius bends will not impede the cable's ability to pull. I wouldn't make any bends smaller than those already in the cables. Lubricating the cables inside their housings will also help allow them to run smoother.
Good luck. Show us what you come up with.

Tom

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
You couldnalways run the cables through the frame
indeed i could, and ive considered it. but with it being an aluminum framed trek, i dont want to fill the frame full of holes. thank you for the suggestion though.
im currently researching 5/16 brass tubing, the lengths it comes in, bending it and whatnot. any suggestions on fittings if i cant get long enough lengths? im running into a 3' barrier at this point...i could use copper i guess....
squirrel