Road bike questions

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
:rolleyes:I use a Linchon [can't seem to spell that right] 30 percent or better duty cycle 220 wire feed gas combo, thing spreads steel beeds of metal like butter. I thought the HSS I think thats the right term of is more forgiving meaning metal won't crack next to weld if done with a wire feed as this.Please correct me if I'am wrong? Man I do love this welder It was not cheap ether.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
So, Goat herder you are using a Lincoln 220 volt wire feed welder and are you using gas shielding too? What kind of gas?Can you do it without gas? thanks I am thinking of getting a welder and want to make sure I get a good one thats not expensive.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
With a welder you get what you pay for, I use co2. Bigger duty cycle the better, makes that clean even static sound, The sound of a good welder.I don't know of a good known cheaper welder mine was close to 3000 dollers. Somebody here might be able to point you to one. Good luck oh and lastly mines DC current I was threatening to start welding alluminum. Have to switch too argon gas and a spool gun for this have'nt done that yet though

80ccspeedster

Jul 28, 2008
I have an 80cc motor on a trek 370 series race road bike size 43c, tires are 700s. It's a tight squeeze but doable. The tube is chromoly not the exotic metal so it's durable. I have 27 T Sprocket on it. Max speed so far is only 34. I have to tinker with the carb to make it go faster.

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
When somebody says road bike, everybody assumes road race bike. I own four road bikes and only one of them qualifies as a racing bike. My assessment would be yes for the cross bike and the touring bike and no for the racing bike. The near vintage hybrid is plenty strong but it's fast becoming a collector's item so it wouldn't be considered.

I don't know about everybody else but my heaviest and toughest bike is a road bike, a loaded touring rig. Heavy duty Reynolds 520 steel with hand built, custom, 36 spoke wheels. Built to continuously handle 60 lbs. on the rear rack and another 40 lbs. on the front. That's 100 lbs. of static weight plus my own for thousands of trouble free miles. Equivalent to a 300+ lb. rider going from coast to coast.

There's only one of my three mountain bikes that could come close to handling that.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The only problem I have ever had with road bikes is that the rounded structure makes using a tensioner a bad idea. But do the chain right and not use one and they have been fine. Not as comfortable as a cruiser or MTB, but functionally fine and are actually an easier mount. Build some thing cool!