I have the engine, but what if I get the wrong bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
OK, I bought the 66cc kit and it says standard "26 bike is what I need. First off I have no idea how bikes are measured but I can read labels, so crisis averted... I am having one issue that I cant seem to figure out. It seems as if a wheel with to many spoke will not work due to the 9 bolt pattern of the sprocket.. I'm a little worried about having to carry the engine kit into a bike shop to see what will and wont work. Are there any basic rules to follow when it comes to choosing a bike like about of spokes, wheel size, frame tube size and all that? I have yet to receive the kit I ordered and was planning to have the kit first then get a bike to match but I am quickly realizing that even getting the kit first may not spare me from buying a bicycle that wont work.. Any quick tips are appreciated, I'm sorry if my question is not specific enough but I think you guys catch my drift. Thank guys... - Tye

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
First off, welcome to the forum.

The easiest bicycles to install a motor in are beach cruisers. I suggest a beach cruiser with 26" wheels. 18" frame size is more than enough, which will be most beach cruisers.

What price range are you looking in. Walmart has several low priced beach cruisers to choose from.

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
Tye,
I'm sort of a newbie too, but I can answer some of your questions. No need to take anything from your engine kit with you when you buy your bike. 26" refers to the diameter of the wheels. If you buy a men's 26" bike you will generally have room for your engine kit. Do some extensive research in the forums here and you will find a wealth of knowledge about which bikes work well. As for the number of spokes: your kit sprocket has 9 holes in it and it comes with what some folks call a "rag mount". In order to get your sprocket to fit you need a 36 spoke wheel (36 divides evenly by 9 that is why). The type of hub that is on your new bike is slightly important. If you get an internal shifting hub (like I did) the you will have to make the hole in your sprocket bigger to get it to fit. Single speed hubs or hubs with cassette type shifters usually are the right size to fit the sprocket without modification.

I bought my bike online and I'm very happy with it. I got a Micargi Rover (3 speed internal shifter) from www.bikebuyers.com and only paid $250 with shipping.

I wish you luck in finding what you are looking for and luck in building it.

CGGB

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
First off, welcome to the forum.

What price range are you looking in. Walmart has several low priced beach cruisers to choose from.
I hear alot on this site about staying away from walmart bikes, at walmart they have the onyx 29 which i really like, but unfortunatly its a 48 spoke so its not gonna work with the stock kit...bummer. I think i am gonna go for a more standard cruiser/fixie..

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I hear alot on this site about staying away from walmart bikes, at walmart they have the onyx 29 which i really like, but unfortunatly its a 48 spoke so its not gonna work with the stock kit...bummer. I think i am gonna go for a more standard cruiser/fixie..
A lot of people have made MBs from an onyx. Ask them how they did it. That's what we're here for.

Here's 3 very popular bikes beach cruisers you can buy from walmart, that are very popular on the forum.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26-Men-s-Panama-Jack-Cruiser-Bicycle-Matte-Black/14122737

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-Cranbrook-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/17012387

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Breeze-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/16913468?findingMethod=rr

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Im thinking about going with the cranbrook. I want a bike that the kit will go right onto with no modification. My goal is a simple instal and then to move on to a more custom build. I no nothing of bicycles. Im going to try and do some research on that particular bike (cranbrook) to see if it will all bolt up. Any issues that you guys know of with this bike?

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
you know what, every post on any bike from wallmart is filled with hate lol. I guess ill wait till the kit shows up, take some measurements and go out bike hunting at a local shop.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
OK, I bought the 66cc kit and it says standard "26 bike is what I need. First off I have no idea how bikes are measured but I can read labels, so crisis averted... I am having one issue that I cant seem to figure out. It seems as if a wheel with to many spoke will not work due to the 9 bolt pattern of the sprocket.. I'm a little worried about having to carry the engine kit into a bike shop to see what will and wont work. Are there any basic rules to follow when it comes to choosing a bike like about of spokes, wheel size, frame tube size and all that? I have yet to receive the kit I ordered and was planning to have the kit first then get a bike to match but I am quickly realizing that even getting the kit first may not spare me from buying a bicycle that wont work.. Any quick tips are appreciated, I'm sorry if my question is not specific enough but I think you guys catch my drift. Thank guys... - Tye
Welcome to the club, Bammer.

My suggestion is to check out this forum and the other one. See which bikes have had the easiest install with no problems. Then buy one of those bikes.

That's what I did.

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Its 200 out the door at my local bike shop. I talked with the shop owner about my plans and he said hes gonna swap the spokes out to a thicker/stronger gauge as well. I like this bike for a few reasons... The tires are nice and big, the frame is over sized to fit someone of my size/body type (6'2 and ape arms lol) but with 26' rims and its made 20 minutes away from my house. So its kinda a local pride thing. There is a couple of different options of finish and accents to choose from of which I haven't decided on yet.

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Biknut, What would you recommend I always feel uncomfortable on a normal 26 inch bike, I have been on the panama jack at walmart (to small) and there is a 26 inch schwinn here at the house (also small on me) . Any ideas? Thanks

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Biknut, What would you recommend I always feel uncomfortable on a normal 26 inch bike, I have been on the panama jack at walmart (to small) and there is a 26 inch schwinn here at the house (also small on me) . Any ideas? Thanks
Maybe you would like these.

http://www.2wheelbikes.com/rover-gx-m-beach-cruiser.html

http://www.2wheelbikes.com/rover-lx-m-beach-cruiser.html

This one's a 3 speed

http://www.2wheelbikes.com/rover-nx3-m.html

I built one like these. It was a beautiful bike and pretty easy to build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXysa1FNzEs

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If you get the wrong bike for that engine......that would be a bummer, Bammer:D

J/K......all the help you need is here.....welcome to the forum (^)

dnut

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
I bought the bike today, I went to a few different stores and none of the bikes fit my body type. So I bought a 3G Venice. I rode it around with the girlfriend for a few hours down at the beach and it was great. It rode great and was the most comfortable bkie I have had since I was 5'9 and 14 years old.I got it for 200 hundred out the door. The shop keeper will install front brakes for $30. I'm pretty happy with it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I bought the bike today, I went to a few different stores and none of the bikes fit my body type. So I bought a 3G Venice. I rode it around with the girlfriend for a few hours down at the beach and it was great. It rode great and was the most comfortable bkie I have had since I was 5'9 and 14 years old.I got it for 200 hundred out the door. The shop keeper will install front brakes for $30. I'm pretty happy with it.
The frame looks like it should be real easy to build with. I think you made a good choice. It looks like a bigger version of a OP Roller. That should be real nice.

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
I Posted a pic of the actual bike. I was planning on getting the glossy black on red, but I decided on mat black and copper.. I posted it in a new thread. The engine kit is due to arrive on friday, so I will hopefully be riding by Saturday morning.