Are Motorized Bicycles the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Re: Are MBs the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

I had a spandex fool on a ten speed try to think he could outpedal me. I smoked him once, let him pass me, then smoked his ass again.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

I had a spandex fool on a ten speed try to think he could outpedal me. I smoked him once, let him pass me, then smoked his ass again.
XD bet he woulda shouted many profanities at you if he could catch his breath and catch you.

granted i congratulate those who pedal only, can get to that speed and stay there. but i don't condone their attitude.

was in a bike shop once some months back and needed them to get the freewheel off my old mangled rim, there were 2 spandex people their. i wouldn't have had a problem but they just kept giving me these dirty looks (maybe cause i was in my torn jeans and a black t-shirt).

Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
i'm putting that in my sig!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I used to get about half and half. Half the people I use to encounter, including the "spandexters", used to love my previous bike. They thought it was the coolest thing they ever saw. The other half either had something rude or insulting to say, or tried to scare me by doing things that might run me off the road.

I've noticed that the bicycle mechanics I've encountered aren't very subtle about not wanting to work on a MB. And motorcycle shops, those guys look like they might bust out laughing any second at the sight of a MB. We're kinda in our own little world.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I really hate to say this because it's so bad, but smoking a spandexer is great fun. Yeah, it's so unfair, but what can I say? I may need counseling.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

The guy thought he was a smartass, coasting past me like he was king of the road. I let him go till he was just within eyesight before I smoked his ass the second time. It was hilarious. I was in a dark mood that day, and smoking that fool twice put a smile on my face.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

we few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
for he that shares the road with me shall be my brother. be he nare so vile this ride shall gentile his condition . and pedestrians now afoot will hold there manhood cheap when passed by a motor bike geek.

Once again Prussian Truly Shakesperian. :)

Does this not explain us in a nutshell!!! I love this.

I feel the same about the nay-sayers and the spandex revolutionists who begin to comment or bring the negativity. I say let 'em spew their foulness upon those that care. Me I just offer them to give it a try. I think The brother hood we share is awesome. This hobby has grown by huge numbers in little time, the more we build and ride the more widespread it becomes. Seriously; How many spandex people do you think now ride a MB? Even if they may not admit it.

I have yet to see ANYONE ride one and not want one. If they wanna be negative, don't get mad or pass them by..twice..(that's just funny) Just offer them a ride. You never know. They may be the next addict.

And if that doesn't work, pass them again :D

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

I have yet to see ANYONE ride one and not want one. If they wanna be negative, don't get mad or pass them by..twice..(that's just funny) Just offer them a ride. You never know. They may be the next addict.

And if that doesn't work, pass them again :D
as a certain fictional character would say...

use a motorbike.... and if that don't work.... use MORE motorbike!

XD

bet the TF2 engie would have a sentry gun mounted on his..... (MUST BUILD IT!!!)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

I don't get it.

"Smoking Spandexers"?

So your 2.5 HP gasoline engine can beat a pedal bike?

I would be surprised if it couldn't.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I don't get it.

"Smoking Spandexers"?

So your 2.5 HP gasoline engine can beat a pedal bike?

I would be surprised if it couldn't.
I know, it really is a pretty sick pastime.

SupaBaked

May 8, 2011
San Francisco

I scream " Cheater on your Left!!! Cheater on your left!!!" as I pass the peddlers. They usually get a kick out of that.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

What else do you expect from hillbillies?

spacey

May 7, 2011
springfield, oh.

Twenty dollar Murray, Cheep Chinese two-stroke, Look of disdain on roader's faces .... Priceless !

( and I can't stand the clicking sound those shoes make ... )

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co

i do alot of both...the pedalling and the twisting...i love it both....i laugh at the the pia roadies ,,,,, no worries guys... the mountain bikers and bmxers hate them too...and hey its easy to yell at something thats going by too fast to carexct2

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.

i like that saying alot :)lol..i always git mixed comments all the time..sum like it sum hate it

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Nah, it takes a lot to offend me.

I like to keep a low profile. Under the radar.

Don't go fast, use a stock muffler, don't rev-rev the motor at stop lights.

I haven't been out there on a MB very long, but I have had no negative encounters so far.

Speaking of the spandex guys, when did this get popular? The Lance era? I mean I've been riding bikes since I was 5 and you didn't see all these weird painted on clothes back then. People rode their bikes with normal regular outfits on.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

when i started racing my mtb in 92 it was already popular....
Popular is relative. I've been up to my neck in motorcycles since the sixties, but I never heard of a China Girl till last year. I do think our popularity is exploding though.

The town I live in has seen an increase in MBs of 300%. That's the three MBs I've built lol.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

No question that bikes are getting more popular. Every weekend I see a couple of groups of a dozen guys or so all in spandex on road bikes.

I haven't seen anyone on a motorbike yet. (cept me)

Now there are a lot of kids on BMX'es and a lot of everyday folks on cruisers and mountain bikes, but they don't ride in packs and they don't wear spandex.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

I just do my own thing and like it-besides I'm a heavy Camel smoker let them peddle