GoldenMotor.com

TehInteractive

Apr 29, 2010
Wisconsin
My dad FOUND this bicycle stashed in his bushes:

BikePedia - 2005 Trek 6700 Complete Bicycle

and he's planning on giving it to me. However, I'm currently using this:

BikePedia - 1995 Giant Rincon Complete Bicycle

What should I do? The Trek bike is in like, brand new condition, whereas my Giant is all rusty and crap (because it's like 20 years old). Also the Trek bike has DISK BRAKES. Plus the value of the bike itself is close to a grand.

My Giant bike's frame is chromoly steel, however. The Trek bike is made of aluminum. Do you think Trek's high-grade aluminum would crack and break if I put my engine on it? Should I just take the bike and sell it or something? I could probably get $600 for it or something.

Has anyone here used an aluminum framed Trek bike and had the frame itself fail?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
The Rincon pic doesn't show, the only thing wrong with aluminum is you can't weld on it :) I'd go with the Trek just for the disc brakes. You can still repaint and fix up the Rincon to resell, for sure.

TehInteractive

Apr 29, 2010
Wisconsin
My dad just dropped the Trek bike off today, damn is it a ****ing nice piece of equipment. It's so light though. I can just picture the engine cracking this aluminum frame. In the condition it's in I could get an easy $500 for it.

I just don't know what to do.