Should I be worried?

GoldenMotor.com

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
I have about 100 miles on my HT engine. So I removed the right side cover to add some grease to the gears, and noticed about a half teaspoon full of metalic powder in the bottom of the case. I thought it may be clutch dust, but it looks to be silvery aluminum. Hopefully this is normal and won't get into the motor.

(p)
Rod S

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
Look on the inside of the cover. The three pins that the clutch plate drives may be grinding against the cover. You can add another gasket for some more clearance, or dremel down the inside of the cover a little.

To get that dust out, I'd spray a little brake cleaner on a rag and wipe it out, rather than spraying the brake cleaner directly in.
Aha! I can't believe I didn't see that. It actually seems that the single brass screw holding the flower nut is rubbing. When the clutch is pulled in the plate moves outards. It seems to have dug in a mm or so. It's a relief to know what caused that. I think I will Dremel it a bit, shouldn't take much. Thanks Nougat.

FR

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
In that pic you have there your star nut is turned around backwards, you need to lock the clutch lever into position and take the start retaining screw out and unscrew the star nut, flip it over and then screw it back down till snug and then back it up about 2-3 groves from where it was aligned with the retaining screw hole when it was snug down, it looks like that may well be your fix for that problem.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
well NOUGAT I guess we are on the same page here, you were typing the same time I was, I posted and bam there it was you had posted the flower nut being backwards as well, I just called it Star instead of flower, but you are right it is refered to as flower nut, I had a momentary lapse of reasoning......... it looks like after the FLOWER NUT is on there correctly the retaining screw should hold it fine, one of my engiens has a much smaller head screw than that one and it works just fine.

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
Wow! I can see what you are talking about. It does look upside down, and the screw should go between the petals. This is the way it came from China. Good QC? Maybe this will get rid of some of the rattling from that side of the engine. I'm glad I posted a picture. I would have been riding this way till it fell apart. :) Thanks again!

FR

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Your very welcome "Flight Risk" make those little changes and your clutch may work better than it ever has, it cant help but at least be a little better I would think.
Happy Safe Riding.......!

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
After correcting the flower nut issue that the others mentioned and depending how your pedal clearance is looking when the gear cover is on you could also try a thicker gasket or doubling up on the gaskets for the cover to give a little bit more clearance inside the gear case.