whats the CHEAPEST kit you can buy?

GoldenMotor.com

mojoman288

Apr 26, 2010
Toledo, OH
Since chinese engine kits are a crap shoot, whats the CHEAPEST kit you can buy? (shipping included?)

I'd REALLY appreciate any responses here:D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol, it's just my opinion mind - but I think there may be a subtle difference between a crap shoot & russian roulette ;)

Still, if you just don't care about any sort of customer service and/or return policies then it's prolly ebay... but I also suspect that's where all the returned & damaged kits end up too, so you may be stacking the odds against yourself.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Agreed. flea bay is just a problem waiting to happen. The best/lowest priced kit you can buy w/out a headache is probably the stinger 2 stroke from here .....Bike Motor Kits Motorized Bicycles Engine Bike kits I mean shipping is gonna be the same no matter where it comes from. $120.00 for the kit is an excellent price, anything lower and you're asking to be on the phone looking to get replacement parts or a new motor.

Rule of thumb....you get what you pay for.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
WOW! I just realized that kit prices are climbing.....I may have to pack up the last 3 I have and sell them off.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A few thoughts on this subject. I'm always counting pennies so for several engines went with boygofast on ebay. I don't think his were the losers or returns and for the most part I had good luck until the last one which was an automatic. I first had to repair the pull start which came apart after maybe three pulls, then had a lot of trouble trying to get it going due to the fact that the CDI unit was no good, once going I rode it for twenty feet when the engine stopped engaging with the clutch. I don't speak Chinglish, so there were many communication problems and delays with the seller. He did try to work with me and did send a new CDI unit, but really the motor was a dud. So who's to blame? I picked that seller because I'd had good luck playing the odds in the past and minor problems he took care of. Shipping was always fast and so long as I treated the seller with respect and courtesy he did the same with me. In the end I have to blame myself for not picking one of our sponsors here who cost more, but also stand behind their products (at least some I know of do...Dax for one, SBP, Pirate cycles, Creative Engineering)... always easy to communicate with and people who are also members of this forum and dedicated to motorcbicycling. If I had bought that same engine from someone here I think my chances would have been good of being told to just send it back and another will be coming in the mail to replace it. Not only do they care, but also value their reputation here. But think about it. How can I expect the BGF seller to replace a whole motor when I have chosen the cheapest kit with shipping I could find? His profit margin has to be lower than that of the vendors here, so his loss if he has to return a motor is greater. I think BGF tries to give pretty good customer service, but profit is the bottom line and the last thing he can afford to do is return the whole kit. It is not going to happen. I think if it had been Dax or Justin at POirate they would have said, "...my apologies, a new motor is on the way." In the end it is good advertising for Dax or Pirate (or any of the other vendors here I have heard good things about, but lack direct experience with) and who have fixed their prices so they can give better customer service. So, you have to ask yourself what "cheapest kit" means? My last motor from BGF cost $160.00 including shipping (pull start automatic 2 stroke), but I was never able to use it. No automatic parts were available to repair it. I negotiated for parts to switch it to manual which would have eventually set things right (at least more right), but the engine was lost in a fire before that repair could be made. Even so, many hours went into that engine with nothing to show for it. And I paid shipping for parts totaling about $16.00. So now my motor cost over $175.00. Was it cheap? It was cheaply made, but expensive actually. From now on, I will buy from one of the vendors here who support this forum and help to make all of the great information available to people like you and me. You might be lucky with the cheapest you can find. But what if you aren't?
SB

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Well said SB. Thank you for elaborating what I was trying to point out in a quick response. I failed to put credit where it was justly deserved. I apologize If I offended any of the members or vendors of this forum as I hold you all in the highest regard. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

To correct my prior statement.....mojoman288 you will find a very dependable motor kit from any vendor from this forum whichever you choose. As far as price the prior mentioned kit is the lowest cost to my knowledge.

Thanks again Silver Bear

Douglas A. Goldner

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Douglas,
I wasn't directing my comments at anybody else and am in agreement with you. I was trying to share the shift in my own thinking. I just reread your post and you are quite right in saying you get what you pay for. I paid for cheap and that's what I got. I had done OK on a total of five engines before the dud and on each one saved what maybe fifteen or twenty dollars? So, say I saved a hundred dollars on five engines over buying from a vendor here on the forum. With the dud which may never have been right and was a sinkhole for tinkering on I lost one hundred seventy five dollars. So did I save anything? Nope. You're right, you get what you pay for. Now I know better...
SB

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Go with a vendor on this forum, I also have a BGF kit that works great and one that went to crap in about 50 miles, i bought it before I even knew about this forum or all the great people here but didn't save me a freaking penny so go with the people here it's your best choice bottom line.

roxylanes

Jun 4, 2010
Winnipeg
I need another 50cc engine for my bicycle soon. I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada.
Please advise if anyone has one out there.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I sorta went the other way......I bought a Staton Mitsubishi TLE 43 friction drive kit.....cost me almost 500 bucks. I was looking for something dead solid reliable and it starts first pull everytime and runs like a sewing machine:)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Agreed. flea bay is just a problem waiting to happen. The best/lowest priced kit you can buy w/out a headache is probably the stinger 2 stroke from here .....Bike Motor Kits Motorized Bicycles Engine Bike kits I mean shipping is gonna be the same no matter where it comes from. $120.00 for the kit is an excellent price, anything lower and you're asking to be on the phone looking to get replacement parts or a new motor.

Rule of thumb....you get what you pay for.
Hi dag ........ how many years dose it take to ship from bikemotorkit ?

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
i think this is one of the most asked questions on this forum (in a round a bout way).

back when i joined this forum i asked the same thing before i decided where to go. alot of pressure was on me to go with thatsdax for reliability and customer service ect... but at the time i found a cheaper deal with boygofast on ebay. i knew what i was getting myself into,but couldn't argue cause im so tight on money.the engine kit i bought cost 110 bucks with shipping, but took 5 days to get to me in chicago (man i was pacing the floor waiting for it to come).

so heres the scoop, if you want cheap.... search thru here,google or ebay. its really a crap shoot on what your buying. i can tell you that luckyearlybird and boygofast on ebay has sent me wrong engines and shotty parts but i did at least get one good engine kit from them and it is my first engine kit and i still use it as we speak. if you can hold out for 20 to 50 more bucks id HIGHLY recommend finding a the cheapest grubee 2 stroke kit. from everything ive read and seen those engines are well worth the money and longevity.

good luck on your cheap engine quest.

Parbed

Apr 14, 2010
Manitoba
Actually yes I could fly my plane out next weekend as I have some other bussiness in the denver area. I won 55 million about 3 years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Parbed, here is a little advice from another Canadian. Drop the attitude real fast if you want help here. You were offered some advice and while you may not have cared for the way it was delivered, that kind of reply will have you on the outside looking in. Fast!

Your 6 posts dosen't beat Toms 3,156 and we know what his MB knowledge is and you are just a guy who hasn't shown us anything yet, except the fact your arrogant.

Steve.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Parbed, here is a little advice from another Canadian. Drop the attitude real fast if you want help here. You were offered some advice and while you may not have cared for the way it was delivered, that kind of reply will have you on the outside looking in. Fast!

Your 6 posts dosen't beat Toms 3,156 and we know what his MB knowledge is and you are just a guy who hasn't shown us anything yet, except the fact your arrogant.

Steve.

They seem to come in waves eh ? :p ......a large grain of salt may be required ...

LOL,
Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hi Salty Gator , did you go with the Limited Edition ZB 80cc Black Slant Engine Kit ?
Yes I sure did and also the standard finish....not a single issue with either engine and together they probably have 5000 miles between 'em !.....I love 'em....takes about a week to your door but they're from Canada so that's understandable.
Have fun!

Salty.shft.