Falcon CFE-10 Hub

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
A few weeks ago we bought a pair of Schwinn legacy beach cruisers to motorize. Target...$119.00.

We assembled one of them and rode through one tank of fuel. I put it on the bench to check things over, and noticed that the rear wheel bearings were a bit loose. The bearings were greased and the pre-load set, initially. Adjusted the bearings again...everything seemed O.K.

Part way through the second tank of fuel, and the rear wheel is loose again!!! I pulled it completely apart this time and found that the rear hub had split at the bearing race!

No curb jumping...no Dukes of hazzard...no Evil Knievel stunts...just easy break-in riding.

We went to the LBS and bought a new Shimano CB-110E hub, ($25.00), and re-laced the wheel. I put the other bike on the bench upside down and removed the front wheel so that I could use the forks as a truing stand. Yes I know the dial indicator is over-kill but it makes truing a breeze. It took about an hour and a half to disassemble the old wheel and re-lace the rim and spokes to the new hub. We saved $45.00, so it was worth it. btw...the CB-110 has a far superior brake.

I think from now on I will swap out the hubs on any of the cheap beach cruisers I buy. $25.00 and a little time is nothing compared to the aggravation of a failed wheel.

Jim

Attachments

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Yep, I know how it feels those bearings are quite rough, theyre not as smooth as they really should be. The friction causes them to move the adjusting nuts out of their positions, I know all about it.. it is much more worth putting in the effort into building a decent wheel rather than trusting cheap and nasty setups..

KULUKIN

May 2, 2009
Burbank, CA
Hey Manic,
Since your here, I just wanted to thank you for your excellent customer service, Sorry I got the order mixed up! Kudos to the gears! they fit purrrrrfectly.
I'll b posting pics soon,
Adios!
JML

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Looks like the same wheel that the Huffy comes with and mine split too except mine had one long crack that went halfway around the race.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Looks like the same wheel that the Huffy comes with and mine split too except mine had one long crack that went halfway around the race.
Kevlarr,

Did you replace the wheel? How did you resolve the problem?

I don't know much about what's available, quality-wise, when it comes to off-the-shelf bike parts.

All experience based input is welcome...I know you guys know what works!

Jim

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
jim, try bikepartsusa.com. you can get a new wheel, 12g. spokes, and a shimano coaster for $40.

Wheel Master 26x2.125, Rear, B/O, C/B, H/D, Chrome Steel Wheel | BikepartsUSA

shipping's really cheap, plus they're in florida somewhere. might be close enough to pick it up.

i got a weinmann alloy wheelset, 12g. stainless spokes, shimano front and rear c/b, for 75 bucks from them, but they;re out of stock now.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
When I first got my Huffy I also had a strange clicking noise that never went away. I never took the time to figure out why, I just replaced the wheel with a heavy duty version from Husky. No problems since then.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
When I first got my Huffy I also had a strange clicking noise that never went away. I never took the time to figure out why, I just replaced the wheel with a heavy duty version from Husky. No problems since then.
Dude I have the same sounds on my huffy. Thats weird. it sounds like its commin from the front rim or somthing. I need to replace my wheels with some HD rims for these unforgivable roads out here in AZ

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
jim, try bikepartsusa.com. you can get a new wheel, 12g. spokes, and a shimano coaster for $40.

Wheel Master 26x2.125, Rear, B/O, C/B, H/D, Chrome Steel Wheel | BikepartsUSA

shipping's really cheap, plus they're in florida somewhere. might be close enough to pick it up.

i got a weinmann alloy wheelset, 12g. stainless spokes, shimano front and rear c/b, for 75 bucks from them, but they;re out of stock now.

Pretty much the same thing I got from my LBS for $43. For that much I don't have the patience to relace a wheel. lol

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, shimano's been around for a long, long time. they make top-notch products for everything from high-end road bikes, to our lowly coaster brakes. as far as the coaster brake hubs on the market today, they are by far the best.

they also make good fishing reels, too.

the other hubs aren't so bad, but shimano is an actual bicycle company, that supports and sponsors riders, unlike the other hubs made by some chinese guy in a sweatshop with a hammer. (like our motors...)

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
BUMP

Was going to make a thread warning about this after I just pulled my falcon off & noticed the same issue.

Didn't read the whole thing but the outer part where the spokes mount to was 100% separated, to the point where once I had the spokes removed and tipped the wheel, the thing just fell on the floor.

The hub was also cracked, which reshaped my ball bearings into bean-shaped bearings, which ate away at the cone they rode on, & the combination of all 3 things being so bumpy cracked the bearing into 3 peices.

Somehow though, this wheel was still functioning normally before I took it off. Just had some weird creaking sounds that were very suttle.

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca
I've learned from experience that the best set up is a rear freewheel. These cheap hubs will not last with the significant amount of weight added to the bike and stresses while trying to stop. I fried my last shimano CB110 internals to the extent that it locked up the whole rear wheel while I was riding and bent the rear drop-outs. Long story short - they need to be adjusted and watched constantly. These motorized bikes ultimately need disc brakes especially if you live in a hilly area like me. My rear shimano hub was making all sorts of horrible sounds after 3 tanks of gas. cheers guys!!!!

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The sealed cartridge bearing disk brake wheels have been absolutely bullet proof for me [think down hill mountain bikes]. I don't have much experience with the coaster brake hubs since my childhood tho. When B.M.X. trick bikes came out I fell in love with the free wheeling cranks. Cause then whilst doing tricks or recovering from a bad turbulent experience etc the brakes did not come on accidentally on me. lol

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I guess until there is an affordable single speed 110mm disc hub or a rear disc adapter that works with the majority of bikes most will be using the coaster hub.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.