Sprockets

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I have a 44t sprocket right now an I'd like to get a 32t or something faster because it is mostly flat here.I'm on a small budget for different upgrade parts so I'm still trying to find a blank sprocket since they can be much cheaper than already made ones..There is a few threads here saying that you can use a #41 chain,could i possibly find a 32t sprocket an chain locally?If not what are some websites you'd recommend

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I called tractor supply and they have a 32t sprocket for use with a #40 chain will this work?Quick answers please!!Thanks

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
not sure of the 40 chain:(
you could also try a 1-piece cranks sprocket (I have seen them drilled and mounted

any kiddie bikes laying around or a goodwill type place would have a whole bike cheap :)

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Not sure if you want to go with a sprocket from TSC, it's going to be made for machinery it'll probably be hardened so drilling will be tough and that sprocket only has a 1" bore.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
You could check out King's Sales & Service for that sprocket, but call him because he's slow on the email thing.
I got a 34 tooth from him and I can easily get 43 mph on a flat and down hills, it's "Whoopie!!" I'm really movin' now!

xct2

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
A #40 sprocket is much wider (thicker) then even #41 chain. If you have 410 or 415, the chain won't go on the teeth of the 40. I used a 40 sprocket one time with 41 chain and had to grind the sprocket down A LOT to the 41 chain to work. Not worth the extra work in my opinion.
WC

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thanks for the input so far.I plan to have money next month for some upgrades over stock,I'd like to get a sprocket from Kings sale and service but can't afford that so eh spookytooth has a 36t chainring sprocket for $10 Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Black Splat - 36T Chainring

If i am right,upgrading the sprocket to a smaller size will help the engine in the long run but how much speed will i gain from a smaller sprocket and will i lose acceleration at all?

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Thanks for the input so far.I plan to have money next month for some upgrades over stock,I'd like to get a sprocket from Kings sale and service but can't afford that so eh spookytooth has a 36t chainring sprocket for $10 Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Black Splat - 36T Chainring

If i am right,upgrading the sprocket to a smaller size will help the engine in the long run but how much speed will i gain from a smaller sprocket and will i lose acceleration at all?
I like the smaller gears for the lower cruising rpm's so it should last longer. faster by maybe 1-2
km per tooth, if you go faster in the top end your gunna go slower down low

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008

I just switched from a 44t to my first 36t about a week ago. It is the best decision I ever made. Then again, my regular commutes are about 5-10 miles with few stops on flat ground and 35 MPH traffic. The only thing I noticed is you need to pedal about 1-2 mph faster before clutching. The low end acceleration (5-10 mph) is slow but once you pass 10 it accelerates you just as fast as the 44t only at a faster speed. IMO, my bike feels alot more like a motorcycle with the 36t as I can cruise very comfortably around 25-30 and even 35. Haven't pushed it past 35 but it def could..trk

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
That is what i wanted to hear man!Its good to hear your having fun with the new sprocket over the stock sprocket.I think I'll be purchasing the 36t chainring sprocket from spookytooth tomorrow an hopefully it will work with the 415 chain (^)

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I use a 36 from King's and a tuned pipe from Sick bike parts so it gets a lot more low end power to make up for the loss. Go's much faster now (38.9 on the flat).

The only real problem is that I don't get any real exercise, so I have to ride my trainer inside (boring) but safe. Otherwise I will plump up like the Pillsbury dow boy.

Mike -live to ride, ride to eat-Frye
exct2

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
I'd love to know if the chainring sprocket works. I spent $30 with shipping for my 36 tooth 415 sprocket. Plus I had to spend 20 minutes grinding down the giant square teeth on the beastly thing so the chain would actually settle! I have two other bikes which now need 36 t's...I always just assumed standard bike chain sprockets were the wrong size and especially too thin. I'll be checking back...let us know how it goes!!!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Last year I got a lot of three 36t from BGF for $35 shipped ($12 ea). Actually top speed goes down on some bikes but smooooooooth running at cruise is worth it. Best investment yet for HTs.

IMO screwing around w/crank sprockets is foolish.