Android speedometer (gps) apps question.

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Next month I plan on finding a way to mount my phone on my bike to use as a speedo. But I was sitting here thinking and wondering if there are any speedo apps that can use your gear ratio and speed to calculate an estimated rpm? I stress ESTIMATED rpm, because I know that it wouldnt be near as accurate as a real tach, but it would give one a BASIC idea of rpm range, and I think it would be cool if there was a speedo app that could do that.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
It's sort of a really specific situation. You could find someone who is good at programming to write a program for it (I would, but I have no experience with phones yet).

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
One you've figured out a way to do it, please share. ;) Every now and then I stare at mine on lunch break trying to figure out where and how to do it so that I don't lose or damage the phone (that I'm still paying for).

I have a couple of apps on my phone, GPS speedometer, "GPS Bike".. sometimes the nav/map system would be nice to have but I can always stop and use that one.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
thats why i run the NT with the choke on it and a dual brake lever to keep the clutter down only thing im adding is a speedo and maybe one of these mounts for GPS so i can find faster or safer routes headlight is going to mount to the front fender or if i can afford it a springer

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i have useless radar trailers scattered around by me if i want to know how fast she is feeling i just make a good run at one since all they do is show you your speed

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm thinking about laying it on the gas tank on the flat-ish space behind the cap, I'll just have to come up with a sleeve for the phone with some padding on the back and system of straps to go around the tank to make it work. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy, it measures about 2 3/4" by 5 1/4".