Electric Cordless Mower Motors

GoldenMotor.com

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
What's the scoop with all the ads for these things? I can't find motor sizes listed with the specs on any brand. :confused:

It seems most are 24 volt motors and come with SLA battery packs of about 17ah. So what's the average wattage for the motors? I got a line on a working cordless Emower, less charger, for 20 bucks and read that someone is running their bike with a mower motor and is liking it alot. The seller hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I just wanted an average. :oops:

Ooops, nix that. He's not running the motor, just the batteries.

Last edited:

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Hokay! I talked to the owner's wife and all she could tell me what that it's a Homelite brand and is 24 volts. <sigh> Guess I just gotta go down and look at it tomorrow. Hope it's still there.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Yeah, it's on their site, but like all the other brands, the specs doesn't include the motor size..................well now. I just saw the specs for a Black and Decker MM1200. 24 volt, 1200 watt motor. Hmmm.

I also just read some reviews on this one and only cordless that Homelite sells. Kinda hit or miss. Well, $20 is cheap enough to take a risk.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
What th.........spam got through anyway? Perfect example, for those that start grumbling on their 2nd post, why this site doesn't allow links and such on the first few posts. Looks like this was one persistent knucklehead.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Well, the seller decided he forgot he had a doctor's appointment today, so that didn't work out. <sigh> Maybe tomorrow, if the weather holds up. We got a storm brewing to our west and heavy showers are forecast. Yeah, I had to ride home from work in the rain. :p

Thing is, I don't know if these motors have enough torque. I'm also thinking they're direct drive, so no gearing. No gearing, no torque? 1200 watts sounds good, but how will it be under load? Can a hub motor be an example of direct drive performance? If so, eeeuuu. Even the wife likes more neck whipping torque and the speedy acceleration, although she just loves sneaking around with that hub thang. laff

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my walmart electric bike had no special gearing,you just put a small gear on motor and bigger one on wheel. you should be good for 15-18mph for about 5-10miles for a hour or 2. but it probally wont get you up no hills unless you peddal a lot up them or run it threw the bike gears,but then you couldnt peddal at all without special parts. it'll have some torque,maybe enough to pull you and a bag of grocerys but probally not a trailer.
i switched to a gas engine and now i can go up hills like a rocket and pull a family of 5 in a wagon behind me if i wanted too.

i would get it,its a steal for that price,im sure you'll find a way to make it work.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I'm guessing a bigger watt motor will do the hills fairly well then. Shucks! A CL seller has a couple of 1000w scooters for sale, but he's asking $200 for a scooter that's 3 years old and sells for under $400. Too bad. He had 2 and thought he was selling both for $200. For $200, I can order a geared motor and all the electrics that match it and the batteries...........and a bike. :)

Well, the day wasn't a total loss. We did manage to score of couple of matching Fuji mountain bikes for $30.....for both. They have very little rust and just need a little cleaning. They're both solid frames and would be a good start for a motorized bike project. Chances are I'll cannabalize most of the components and wheels to use on other bikes. The Shimano components themselves are worth more than what I paid. (^)

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
my walmart electric bike had no special gearing,you just put a small gear on motor and bigger one on wheel. you should be good for 15-18mph for about 5-10miles for a hour or 2. but it probally wont get you up no hills unless you peddal a lot up them or run it threw the bike gears,but then you couldnt peddal at all without special parts. it'll have some torque,maybe enough to pull you and a bag of grocerys but probally not a trailer.
i switched to a gas engine and now i can go up hills like a rocket and pull a family of 5 in a wagon behind me if i wanted too.

i would get it,its a steal for that price,im sure you'll find a way to make it work.
I went down from gasoline bikes to ebikes. I am not an environmentalist by any means. To be honest I just did a post about how ebikes are not really for exercise. Both of my bikes have small motors. One is a 250 hub and one a 350 pusher chain drive. both 24volt rigs. Yes I have to pedal going up hill but I don't have any gears. I have a simple coaster wheel with the standard gearing. I find it really pretty easy to climb hills.

With the pusher it will almost climb the hill without help. I usually do it just to keep the speed up but it will pull up slowly by itself most any of them.

The hub motor pulls a trailer filled with batteries so it isn't too bad at pulling. But then if the batteries weren't in the trailer they would be on the bike so I guess they don't really count.

If they ever get the battery issues settled this is going to be the way to go.

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
Hey old post, I know but I just googled this page.

I just made a bunch of emails to people selling some cordless mowers. To be honest, I cant find much information at all on other people who have done this setup. The mowers seem to be around 1kW, in the 24Vdc range. I know you can probably go up another 12Vdc to 36Vdc or even or another 24Vdc to 48Vdc without much heat problems.

The corded ones are in the 140Vdc output from a rectifier off the 120Vac input.

Those treadmill motors too are high voltages, and spin 10k+.

I am going to get a cordless mower engine for free, or very cheap. Then buy some HobbyKing Lithium Ion batteries and charger, and perhaps a controller from a scooter place. I heard those scooter motors MY#### arent that great. But thats gunna be my plan C. Plan B might be 24V starter motor. All I know is I am just going to wing it, trying to find some cheap motors to play with.

I have honestly been pondering a motorized setup for quite some time. I dislike the high cost of a kit, $1000 or more. But love how their so silent and the power is instant. Unlike gas motors which are noisey and the power band is narrow.

Im definately going to go with a variable internal hub setup like a 3spd up to 9spd depending on how cheap I can buy one. This should give me torque for the hills, and speed for the flats, all while silent and doing the fake pedalling. Gunna do a rear rack mount setup, all hidden with air vents. Cant wait to do a couple 10km runs and not break a sweat, even on the hills.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
We are now selling the EGO cordless mower --- uses a 56v battery that will run the full sized machine for 45 minutes. It will also recharges in 30 minutes. Only drawback.....it sells for $499.

(Home Depot)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Might want to consider the battery requirements. Problem with using 24v with a high wattage motor is amperage draw. 1200w@24v is 50amps, where its 25@48v. Am not really familiar with mower motors but assume them to be brushed. Brushless motors absorb voltage increases pretty well, think its harder on brushed motors. Voltage is also good for speed. Im getting 930w@62v drawing 15amps from my 500w hub motor. Comes in just under 30mph with a fresh charge. Thing is I can cruise in the low 20s at around 5amps even less(2-3amps) with assist. the 56v battery in the above post is starting to be used by ebikers but I believe its only 4ah:confused:. would take 2 to get decent range and I believe they are $$. Thing is decent hub kits can be bought for just over $200, bolt on quickly,and are pretty tolerant to jacking the voltages pretty high. batteries are always the $$$part!

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
ebikes got a front for $205, about the same graph lines as the 3540 rear for $450.
Been contimplating the EM3EV site as well, seems to be not a flaky site like BMSBattery. Kind of wish I was working, I am in a tricky spot because I get my license back in a few months free n clear, a few grand and I am driving again. Should have gone electric 10 years ago.