fabricating a Kubo (Koo-bo) like bike

GoldenMotor.com

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
So here it is... I know a welder and I think he would be interested in helping me with a one off project. I love the Kubo, the problem is I don't like the lack of stability that are provided by the tiny, tiny moped wheels. Especially on the nasty dirt road I live on. I'm working on a conceptual drawing of a more bicycle like version of the Kubo. I'll have it done in a day or two. I was just wondering what you all thought about it, I frequent the 2 and 4 stroke gas portions of the forums but I haven't had the opportunity to play with electric yet. So I wanted to get some opinions before going to far with this day dream.

The Kubo

Some interest "cargo bike" motorcycle designs that can be adapted.

Feddz motor scooter

Motofocker cargo scooter

And my personal favorite the Bullitt Cargo bike (Larry vs Harry)

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Concerning the Kubo I wouldnt be afraid of the scooter sized wheels. Having motorized bicycles, scooters and motorcycles in my stable for comparison I have to say the scoots are quite stable and have a high degree of handling with the new gen tires. The wider cross section tires may handle dirt better than bicycle tires. The Kubo Looks pretty high on the center of gravity when unloaded. If the roads are rutted/pot holed then perhaps larger wheels are in order. If you are custom building then lacing a set of smaller motorcycle rims to bike hubs and running m/c tires might be a good option. I also think on iffy surfaces a cargo bike with the load in a trailing position(behind) would be better than in front and depending on a smaller wheel for steering. I see your are in Hawaii, are the roads sand based? I wouldnt relish the idea of riding my loaded cargo bike down such a road. Think it would be kinda fun on my scoot. Here are comparisons of a 12" scoot tire and a bike cruiser tire.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Thanks for the insight. I looked at rear trailing cargo bikes and I found that there's a lot of chain slap going on. Look at how long those chains are!

This ones better, if you look close you can see the secondary gear and chain guide.

As for our roads... not sand that would be too simple. Imagine a rock quarry, with all the loose sharp rocks. Then make the edges on those rocks sharp like broken glass and you'll have an idea about what our road looks like. I'll have to go out and take a picture one of these days, but here's a pretty good example.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Those roads dont look like fun at all! Maybe a BMW GS would be better-lol. I really havent had any chain issues slap or other wise from my Xtracycle with a similar long chain and no idler. Could do like on a recumbent and figure 8 the chain, would add clearance too. Kevlar tires would be a must!

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
The road can be fun if your into dogging rocks, which I am because I grew up mountain biking and quadding, but there is a definite need for shocks on a road like this. Which has so far been the failing of every cargo bike I have seen. There's one guy in Germany that takes Bullitts and modifies them, adding electric motors and shocks. but its an extra $500 on top of almost $2000 and I don't even want to imagine what shipping it to Hawaii from Germany would cost!

I just came across the Xtracycle Freeradical extension. I think with a bike with Shocks this may be the solution I have been searching for.

Last edited:

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
That's one of the things I've been thinking about. The only solution I can come up with is Using an in hub electric motor with separate rechargeable battery. Something like a Currie or a BionX where the motor is self contained and the battery can be put out of the way. Also no extra drive chains or belts to much with.

Alternatly something like a honda would probably fit under the decking, which would all have to be removable so you could gas it and work on it. but that would be do able.

Also here's an interesting forum discussion about taking old bikes and making your own Xtracycle extension. If you did something like this then you could make your own decking to accommodate any motor you wanted.

Last edited:

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Awesome! Thank you! I'm looking at some hack no weld option... but I'm pretty sure as long as I stick with steel, provide all the bits pre-cut and ask really nice that my neighbor down the road will weld it together for me super cheap.