Wanted junk CDI

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have taken one apart using a pocket knife. Basically it consists of an outer casing with two holes for screws and an inner box. The casing can be cut off, but with difficulty. The inner box is a solid plastic material and is most likely poured over the electronics in the manufacturing process. When I tried to cut it, it produced a grey dust. If you try to cut it in half be careful about the dust produced. Again, the inner box has wires sticking out and appears to be solid.

Glenn M

Sep 10, 2008
Middle of the Mitten
I have taken one apart using a pocket knife. Basically it consists of an outer casing with two holes for screws and an inner box. The casing can be cut off, but with difficulty. The inner box is a solid plastic material and is most likely poured over the electronics in the manufacturing process. When I tried to cut it, it produced a grey dust. If you try to cut it in half be careful about the dust produced. Again, the inner box has wires sticking out and appears to be solid.
What you were cutting is Bedding Epoxy and yes it is poured in the plastic housing to surround and secure the inner components. There are ways to remove the epoxy and reveal the inner workings.

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
How would you know if the CDI is faulty? I did a continuity test on CDI with a multi meter and nothing. Engine had no spark, replaced magneto spun engine got voltage output from the black and blue wires. But still no spark. I was really hoping it wasn't the CDI. So yeah I might have a junk one for you.