New biker

GoldenMotor.com

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
How true that statement is, but it is what it is. Always proceed with carefully , they don't realize your rate of speed is 25 - 30 mph. Ride safely !

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Harry.
Yup, true Powertool.

Also, I recommend a MC helmet big time. Really does help them know your not a regular bicyclist.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
"Loud pipes save lives"... You really gota watch people trying to turn left infront of you. There turning there head back and forth trying to see several lanes in a few seconds. The mind really only see's what its trained to see. And bicycles dont go that fast,right!
Truth is if your in the active lane of trafic and there trying to cross that lane ,you have the right of way. Knowing this wont help you in the hosp.! But again its not what you ride it's how you ride...And wear a helmet ! Enjoy the forum ,great guys,good advice.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ride as if you're invisible. It's the best defense against any situation. Always assume that a driver will either not see you or not respond to you. And like has been mentioned, wear a DOT approved helmet.

Tom

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I live in hill country often its difficult to tell how fast you're going downhill. People aren't expecting you to be doing the speed limit let alone going faster than the speed limit. Which means you could be the cause of a wreck if you're speeding. Bicycle speedometers can be purchased for less than $ 30. I also have head, brake, tail and signal lights, mirrors, as well as a horn on my bike. Other than a head light for night riding my state (Tennessee) doesn't require the other lights, horn, mirrors or speedometer only reflectors in the rear. However I've got the other lights, horn, mirrors and speedometer for my protection. These are tools to help you manage your ride on the public roadways. This being said being aware and alert is by far the most important thing you can do.

Last edited: