The book update

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not that so much as trying to get more weed whacker's rescued from the junk man. May have to start a movement, "Save the gasoline Weed Whackers". The slogan will be "Save a weed whacker and build a motor bike." or "Have you hugged your weed whacker bike today?" or "Let a weed whacker bike take you fishing."

If I can get them declared an endangered species, I could probably get a grant. You know something like that.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I would like to take a minute to explain a couple of things....

Some of you will remember me struggling to make the weed whacker bike work at all. Then I went through a lot of used motors to get the design simple enough for anyone to do. I even ruined a brand new one along the way.

My concept from the beginning was to create a cheap motorized bicycle that even a senior could build and ride comfortably and safely. Not a speed demon bike, but one a guy or gal could hop on and run to the bank or out to breakfast. Actually not a commuter bike but an urban bike was what I had in mind.

This kind of bike might not be up to replacing the commercial commuter bikes but it can easily do what I envisioned. Plus it will work for that man or woman who needs an inexpensive way to make that five mile across town ride to work. Even for an employee or student to ride his bike to the bus pick up point, then from the drop off point to the campus or to work

Most people my age aren't up to riding a pedal bike five miles up and own the hills, but with a weed whacker engine of at least 25cc most anyone can ride it for a few miles. Even if some of those miles are up long hills.

Even better it is a chance to enjoy some time out doors on a cool bike.

Okay so why if I did this to help old guys like me am I charging for the instructions. Believe it or not I put a lot of my money into the testing and retesting of materials. I have bought at least half a dozen weed whackers one new even. I have bought three used bikes pretty much just for this purpose. All in all I have probably four hundred dollars or more in this project.

At four bucks a pop after fees, it will only take me a hundred sales to break even, which I most likely will never do. If and when I do, I will give the instructions away on my blog. If I never reach it or there is no interest in the instructions, I will just post it on the blog anyway.

No I'm not a philanthropist I just wanted to do a little something for people who can't do it for themselves. Thats why I am charging for the instruction booklet.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I love it, that you are using your work and investment in learning to share with others. If more people understood that it is not how you get over on someone but how you help each other that matters we would have a more lovely place. deacon, it is people like you that are making it a pleasure to work around here. By the way can you fix my carburetor? ;) I have one on order just to see what it is you did do. By the way instead of mailing it You can just send me a zipped file and I can work with that. Then you can make 5 bucks.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You should have it by now and let me know what you think of it. I don't remember doing anything to your carb. Sure that wasn't norman lol...

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
Deacon, if you'd like, I can host that zip file in a protected folder on my server for free... and you could give the password to whomever paid for it...and we could change the password every week, day, hour, or sale. You'd save a lot in shipping costs. Let me know if you want to. I've got a terrabyte of server space and tons of bandwidth I don't even use.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It looks like I might have to do something like that if people in fact order them. I have been attaching them open to their email but it is a bit of a pain if there were a lot it would be very difficult. I might well use you. Thanks I appreciate it. I'll let you know if there is enough interest to warrant it.

I think I might do better to just upload it to tiny file since they are all jpeg files and just send a list of the addresses to the buyers.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
This is part of the reason that I like this community so much- that it IS a community where people reach out and help one another.

Deacon- You put a lot of work into this reap the rewards. There is a website called etsy, all handmade goods. I sell a lot of my handmade books on there and do quite well, you end up keeping more of your profits as etsy.com has a much lower fee rate. You can use your paypal account to accept payment. It's very easy to set up an account. I can recommend etsy highly. I've had nothing but positive experiences.

(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I will take a look at it tomorrow. I really only want to make 400 then ill give it away. I would like to reach different people with the hot to thing though so I will look at any alternate outlet you can think of.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
The server is a good option, with the CD only for those who want it. I can make my own CD but Why? I would just put all files on my 'puter any how.

The book looks great so far (10-12 pages). I will definately be looking for weedeaters to work on. You share some ingenious ways of doing things on the cheap, without spending more than necessary whis is a good thing for me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Lenny would you mind if i a bit of your post in my adv... it's exactly what I wanted to say but hated to do it myself.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
That is why I said it, to be quoted and published too. I have a few motors to build into bikes but will be trying your methoud too as I see it helps to learn about these motors. Thanks again for your efforts, they will help a lot of people. The most pro way to distribute is as a CD or a set of files on a server as has been offered. People probably like to make the choice too.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have an adv on ebay for each. One is for the cd on is for the email the way you received it. Thanks for the quote I appreciate it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't think this is a particularly important thread, but I think the whole DIY concept is worth marking and sending people to. I have grown fascinated with the diversity of these bikes compared to the sameness of the the kit bikes.

I know the kit bikes are all different but they are also all the same. Each DIY bike is a mess and a piece of art at the same time. Remember the famous line by Edward Weston, Form Follow Function. A DIY bike is the essense of that. Everything is there for a purpose. As long as it works then it is a thing of beauty.

Even the suicide clutch lever lol