Storing/moving motor bike

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I am starting work in Houston in 2010, but my family and toys will not move until my house in AZ sells.
I anticipate storing the china girl bike for 90 days or so, as my kids think that it is too much trouble to ride it. Here is the plan. I'm open to suggestions.
Drain the fuel tank (defueling is req'd by the mover)
Drain the float bowl
Spray oil in spark plug hole and turn it over a few times
Remove motor chain, so movers will not have to deal with the clutch

Should I run the motor with some fuel stabilizer additive before defueling to help preserve the gaskets?
I will be pedalling my mountain bike in Houston until my house sells.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sounds like you have it well covered WB.

I have stored China girls much longer and not gone threw doing all that and had no problems starting any up. I am certainly not suggesting it, but was fine. Some engines I have that will be stored for long periods, I just run dry of gas. I should probably try using your method.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Well, just remember... taking the chain off will prevent anyone (movers) from taking any un-authorized drives also.

I had a friend who was shipping a recently restored 66 Corvette and the movers reported that his car and the Challenger ahead of it broke loose and banged into each other for the whole trip. Turns out that the front and rear of the car was bashed but, there was also rubber up in both of the wheelwells! Not from him either! Far as I know they're still hammering out that one.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have a master link so no problem there. I may put my old gas tank on the bike before shipping in case of damage.

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Just a thought here. I have an aversion to Keeping the clutch held in needlessly or for too long of a time due to the fact that the clutch springs being tight enough to stretch the cable.

Rob zpt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Like Rob, I seem to develop clutch problems when I leave it disengaged just overnight.
I think I'll still remove the chain.

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Good idea "WB6" (hey; I type with one hand.) You never
know what those moving A-holes will do. I wouldn't count on them to release it.
As far as they're concerned; Once it's on the truck .....!!??
I'd probably try to "fool-proof" it too. ;/

Robzpt
Here's mine. put up for winter.
(I've yet to find a suitable blanket.)

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Did you spend some time in Germany? We don't see many Puch MTBs. The Puch mopeds and motorcycles sold by Sears until the 70s are more common here.

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Re: My Puch. My Uncle brought it with him from Austria
ten years ago. Sighting the fact that I spent more time on it than he did;
(Drivers here scared the crap out of him.) He decided to leave it with me. I'm glad he did. This thing is like a TRUCK!!
He's shipping me a Daimler-Styer diesel engine for it in spring.
They're getting upwards of 220 M.P.G. with them there! (converted from k.p.l.)

Rob zpt