New Old Guy from Va

GoldenMotor.com

'57 Phantom

Jun 26, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Hello from Virginia. I'm Ralph and I don't have a Motor Bike yet, but I'm thinking about it and here's why. I'm an HPDE Instructor (high performance driving instructor) and I've been thinking how nice it would be to have a pit bike/scooter/cart, something to get around the paddock area. Well last weekend I saw this guy put-put by on a cruiser-style bicycle with this small two-stroke motor. I was facinated and found him in the paddock. He told me to google bicycle motor kits, I did, and then I found this forum. Here's the beginnings of my plan. I have my original bicycle I bought from my cousin when I was twelve years old. It's a 1957 Schwinn Black Phantom and is all original execpt for tires. I'm not planning to restore it (I like the "daily driver" look to it... it still has the notches I cut into the handlebar grips, when I was a kid, to signify my racing victories!) but I did make it road worthy with new rims, tires and crank and bearings. I'm still trying to decide between a two stroke and a four but I'm leaning toward the two stroke because of the small size. I'll keep you all posted as I start this journey. Any advice along the way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the site. i grew up or was supposed to anyway in alexandria. graduated edison high in 75. hope you enjoy the site and glad to have you with us. also that phantom cruiser if in good shape is worth a healthy penny. not sure if i would put a motor on one if i had one
paul

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
Hello from Virginia. I'm Ralph I'm still trying to decide between a two stroke and a four but I'm leaning toward the two stroke because of the small size. Any advice along the way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the very best Motored Bike forum :D

The 2 strokes are a lot of bang for the buck but they have their issues
I prefer 4 strokes and there isn't a lot of off the shelf choices

You got a lot of reading to do......

'57 Phantom

Jun 26, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Yep, I know the Phantom is worth some bucks, but I don't ever plan on selling it. I paid my cousin $20 for it in 1961 and that was out of a 50 cent a week allowance!!! How many guys do you know still have the bike of their childhood, where all the dreams of driving were born. It's funny, I get on that old bike, sit on that seat and hold those old handlebars and I remember things that I haven't thought of in 50 years. Nope, it'll never be for sale. When I get the prerequisite number of posts, I'll post a picture of it. Anyway, I look forward to picking your brains as I go forward on this project. Thanks everyone. --Ralph

'57 Phantom

Jun 26, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Welcome to the very best Motored Bike forum :D

The 2 strokes are a lot of bang for the buck but they have their issues
I prefer 4 strokes and there isn't a lot of off the shelf choices

You got a lot of reading to do......
Yep, I've got a lot of research in front of me. Two issues for the 2 stroke that I'm aware of are vibration and convenience (adding oil to fuel). Any others that you may be thinking of?? By the way, since I'm using this as a paddock bike, speed is not a consideration as most pit speeds are 10-15 mph or less. Another thing that I was thinking... are there any kits that use a drive belt instead of a chain drive??? Thanks again,

Ralph

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Ever get your bike running? I'm from McLean, VA and planning to get a MB this spring. Any interest in riding together?

'57 Phantom

Jun 26, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Hi Virginian,
No, unfortunately other priorities took the place of the bike conversion. I might get to it sometime this year but I'm not in any hurry. Good luck in your endeavor. --Ralph--