Coil Failure?

GoldenMotor.com

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I think my coil is dieing. It is hard to get running, when it does it is very weak, it has a weak rough idle for a few seconds and it dies. If I give it gas, it dies instantly.

I took the bike to a hill, pulled the plug wire and put a spare plug in it. I started down the hill, released the clutch, grabbed the spark plug and was only getting a mild tingle, no shock.
I have done this with the killswitch connected and disconnected, no difference. I have checked all connections and I have checked the carby. Both appeared fine.

Is there a better coil than stock?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!
You are a bold fellow, Hstar!

lol you oughta read fugit's post abt putting a sparkplug wire back on his honda 4 while going down the road! lol it's in the crash thread.

Usually it's the coil wire that is suspect.
or you could have a prob with the kill switch wire.

After checking both those I'd replace the cdi with another china unit. they are cheap enough.

rohmell also has an excellent thread on building your own cdi.

Good luck
rc

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Wow!
You are a bold fellow, Hstar!

lol you oughta read fugit's post abt putting a sparkplug wire back on his honda 4 while going down the road! lol it's in the crash thread.

Usually it's the coil wire that is suspect.
or you could have a prob with the kill switch wire.

After checking both those I'd replace the cdi with another china unit. they are cheap enough.

rohmell also has an excellent thread on building your own cdi.

Good luck
rc
It isn't a big hill, and I was only pedaling. There was a spark plug in the head, but not connected,I had the spare plug in the wire. There was no way the motor could start. It was just a simple way to check what kind of spark I was getting. I have tried this with the killswitch connected and disconnected.Both ways same result.

If it is the coil, even though they are cheap. I would rather upgrade. I already have a good chunk of change (around $1500) in this thing, what's another $80? What can I say, I like to shower my toys with cool accessories.LOL

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
r.ly.
It isn't a big hill, and I was only pedaling. There was a spark plug in the head, but not connected,I had the spare plug in the wire. There was no way the motor could start. It was just a simple way to check what kind of spark I was getting. I have tried this with the killswitch connected and disconnected.Both ways same result.

If it is the coil, even though they are cheap. I would rather upgrade. I already have a good chunk of change (around $1500) in this thing, what's another $80? What can I say, I like to shower my toys with cool accessories.LOL
If you got the result the same while playing with the kill switch something else is going on?