4G Easy Bushing Service

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
You know the bump on the plastic drive cover where the 4G sticker is? I just sawed that bump off. The hole that leaves will allow me to get in to the clutch bushing to service it. I found out the hard way about how important lubricating this bushing is.

There is an oiling hole between a couple of the teeth on the clutch bell gear, but I'm just paranoid enough to want to remove the bushing to thoroughly lubricate everything. This new access hole will let me do that procedure without having to risk losing the little bitty cover mounting screws.

I got a couple replacement bushings from McMaster-Carr. Wow, am I over-compensating or what?!?!

usflg

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Overcompensating? Not at all! That bushing has to be kept happy, because if it isn't, it can't make you happy!

I bought 3 bushings in 2010. I'm using one, sold one, now I have one left. I have over 3000 miles on one real Oilite bushing. Once you have an Oilite, and it's lubed, you don't need to take apart the 4G to keep it that way. All you have to do is hit the flange of the bushing with the Marvel Lubricating Oil - preferably when the bushing is hot.

That access hole you cut will be real helpful. I cut one out of my cover, too, but it's a little too small.
I might have to do what you did and saw the whole bump off.

Attachments

Last edited:

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
Thanks for the idea! I took your advice and cut the bump off of mine and yes that sure makes a difference. Easy to service or change that bushing now. Thanks again.