Hello all, I could use some help

GoldenMotor.com

badpenny

Aug 2, 2008
I don't own one yet, but in the next couple months I am going to build one. Although, I love the idea of the streched cruiser, but it really is a bit out of my budget, in a one lump sum.

So I have some questions, but first, let me, let you know a bit about me. I am in my 30's I love bicycles, mainly antique ones (this is part of my questions) I was thinking about getting an antique western flyer for my bike.
Like this

Or would it be a bit risky? Meaning, a bike so old? I was really wanting to look at the potential to get a classic back where it belongs. On the street.
But then it brings me to another question. What motor? I mean, I have looked at retail propaganda till I am dizzy:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome badpenny to the forum, glad you joined us :)

A vintage bike would make a good MB as long as it is not all rusted up to where it's full of holes. But even then it can be repaired. A lot of members look for old bikes to motorized.

As far as the motor what are you looking for? 2-stroke, 4-stroke, center frame mount, rear mount? Friction drive, chain drive, belt drive?

I like the 2-stroke center mount...I think they look cool on a bike.

badpenny

Aug 2, 2008
Fixed your pic for you ;)
Thanks for doing that.

I wouldn't mind a 2 stroke if I didn't have to mix the fuel prior to filling the tank. A 4 stroke would allow for alternative fuel sources. i.e. hydrogen or propane. Personally, I kind of like the idea of a hydrogen powered bike. And center mount is what I prefer. Now when it comes to what type of drive, I am at a loss as to the benefits and drawbacks of each type. and because I am assuming a bit, I assume that chain drive is a little less complicated, due to the fact that most of the kits come with the gears that bolt on or replace existing gears.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
There's a reason that they have the saying "they don't make 'em like they used to." Definitely go with a vintage bike if the frame is in decent shape. Any steel-framed American-made bike is most likely going to be nice and sturdy.

If you're looking for a 4-stroke center mount, there are currently backordered just about everywhere. Look through some threads here, there are a few about these motors.