General questions. Your thoughts about my chopper options???

GoldenMotor.com

unwired

Jun 11, 2008
New York
I thought I'd try to compile both a list of potential bike conversation candidates and a lot of my general questions within a single thread here so that perhaps others might be able to one day follow along and borrow from what I've scavenged for out there so far.

I suppose that I caught the bug for doing this from looking at local bicycle auctions on ebay and coming across someones conversion for sale. I did not buy the auctioned cycle for two reasons (a) it was on a youth bike and (b) the price he was asking seemed a bit high; and for that kind of money I'd build it myself.

I mentioned in one of my other posts that I'm from New York and haven't quite found any good options for buying my bicycle just yet and it looks like shipping from the west coast will get expensive. I've yet to travel down to the local bike shops but if they are anything like what I expect it won't be any cheaper to buy locally than pay a shipping charge.

First things first.
I'd like to keep the budget down if possible so I'll start with saying that anything above the price of something ready made and neat should be disqualified from my build options (and if by chance I find something finished that fits the budget than why even waste my time building when I could be tweaking).

This bike doesn't have a pedal option but is an example of something that's over budget.

2005 West Coast Chopper! HappyScooter

My goal it to shoot for about $300 for this go around. I figure the bike could be $160 or so and similar for the engine if I don't go top of the line.

Here was the first bike I considered:
Micargi GTS

And here's another:
XYZ Chopper

I actually like the XYZ website because they give some useful info in regards to high of the rider and difficulty in pedaling.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions about using either as a platform to play with. I've looked at some of the other chopper style bikes like the streches or Micargi Prados but want to be a bit price conscious here considering what shipping is going to run me. I'm still very much in learning mode here so please bear with me (and feel free to point me to prior posts if this ground has been covered before).

Questions on the engine front...
For now I'm simply thinking about a 2 stroke engine (depending on cost it could be 49cc or 80cc).

#1 - Do multi speed bikes play a factor at all (my assumption is that the sprocket is likely additional to the existing pedal and chain so my guess is 'no' although I wonder what gear shifting might do and if not using the highest gear might slow things down)?

#2 - I also believe that I'll likely need to change the brake lines. Is that correct?

As I'm pretty handy I think I'll skip any worries on the mounting for now.

#3 - How about the exhaust, how does one mount that so as not to potentially burn yourself (I've seen one nice custom unit on ebay but that would add some to the cost) ?

#4 - How does pedaling actually work (i.e. do I need to pedal continuously even when the engine is on)?

#5 Do the engines self start together with pedaling (I'd like to avoid pull cords)?

Any other suggested reading or cool looking bike options (that don't cost $1,200) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I can't comment on easy of installation on stretch bikes, but a lot have done it. I thinkyou'd encounter more difficulties with a wide back wheel.

As for your questions-
1. A multi speed bike makes for slightly easier mounting of the rear drive sprocket, and make the bike easier to pedal when needed.
2. You may have to re-route your brake cables, opt for a dual lever for front and rear brakes on one lever, or even leave them alone and have the clutch and one brake on the same grip.
3. I don't recall anyone having problems with getting burned....i.e. not an issue.
4. You will really only need to pedal to start the bicycle motor. You may want to pedal to assist acceleration, but that overkill in my opinion.
5. Yes, pedal up to 10mph, drop the clutch and off you go. These are just like a motorcycle with a clutch, no gears...yet. You "bump start" them.

To get the most out of your kit- look here. http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
becareful of the livefast motor mount its not that great, in the long run you will regret it. sorry to tell you this but when i used it, it crushed my frame and it cracked it, the motor mount itself was also craking where the u-bolt nuts were. just not safe in my opinion. the XYZbike looks like a very kewl project build. good luck to ya..............later