Since when is 26" now 25"

GoldenMotor.com

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
I thought i would switch over the old 26 x 1-3/8 tires on my Circa 1970 3 speed touring bike for newer 26 x 1-1/2 tires from a mountain bike. I tried and tried, but no go. Then I measured the wheel diameters, old is 24", new is 23". And then the tire diameter, Old is 26" and new is 25".
So, If I go purchase a new 26" tire must it be a 1-3/8" width? And will it fit? What's up with that. Are all 26" bikes today really 25"?
:-||

Thanks.

Rod S

Last edited:

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
See if you can find any markings on the rims that say EA-1. Regular 26x1 3/8 usually have an EA-3 rim if my memory is correct. The odd ones are the British EA-1. If you can't find any tires to fit them, I might be able to help you. In addition to working on new bicycles the past 28 years, I also do quite a bit of restoration work on the older ones for my customers. Good luck.

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
I just copied off what was on the sidewall.
Trelleborg T-608 37-590 26x1 3/8 Made in Sweden
So the wheel is the English 590 standard. Tires are at least 30 years old from when my great uncle last rode it, but has good tread and a little crazing. I plan to ride on these gently until I find new ones, or maybe respoke some standard rims onto the 3 speed hub. I have have found tires online, but they get expensive with shipping.
I have modified the frame a bit and am converting it to a motor. I will post a photo soon.

Rod

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
Here's a photo of the bike. On the seat is the chunk of tube I removed from the top of the downtube. I wanted to make the frame just tall enough for the motor. I am planning to get a banana seat with sissy bar so that I can skoot back over the wheel. Note the cool narrow handlebars with uncomfortable parallel grips. I have some high rise bars I plan to try after I take it for a trial spin.

Rod

Attachments

speedychic

Aug 11, 2013
Plainfield Indiana
I just bought a Columbia ladies bicycle today for $10... beautiful bike from early 1970's. Tires are the same as you described, T 608 Trelleborg made in Sweden. Did you end up finding a suitable replacement? I will be needing some soon... There are a pair of tires currently listed on ebay that appear to be a match but that is IT.
Thanks.

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
There are tires available. Continental & Schwalbe both make good ones.

Search for a 37-590 tire on Google.

Schwalbe makes the excellent Marathon Plus in that size:
http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/143

Continental makes the City Ride tire in that size as well.

I know Kenda made a cheap tire in that size - but I would not run that on a motorized bike.