No more custom sprocket adapters :(

GoldenMotor.com

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Today is truly a sad day in the world of motorbicycing

This morning I was bored surfin the web and I was on Manic Mechanic's website.

HE IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING RETAIL ORDERS

Only dealer orders of 50 or more of an Identical part

Currently his exclusive retailer is Pirate Cycles (I have heard good things about them)

But since his website says he is accepting dealer inquiries there is potential for more.

So since his current exclusive retailer is Pirate I choose to shoot them an email to find out whether or not we are still able to get CUSTOM sprocket adapters or would there me a limited amount of hub sizes available ... and the response was...

"Just a few hub sizes like the nexus 3 speed, the cb-110, the modus 08, and the OCC hub adapter. We sell wheels that accomodate these hub sizes also. The motor mounts will be universal on 90% of the bike frames available. High comp heads and billet intakes will also be on the regular retail list of items for sale."

so to sum it all up if you want a custom sprocket adapter you CANT get it. period

your hub must be one of three sizes

but hey there is a bright side to all of this (at least i hope so)
now that Jim wont be handling a bunch of small custom orders hopefully he will be able to keep pirate well stocked with a variety of sprocket sizes

I know pirate has good reviews so no worries there

for those of you who bought from manic mechanic before know all too well why i say this may be a bright side (you would often wait weeks and sometime months to get a product from manic mechanic)

Less cuztomization available

All in all it is one sad day for the MBer
.spr.

just my .02

Last edited:

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
I really never could understand the need for a custom adapter. Isn't easier to just change the hub to a standard variety instead of waiting for weeks and months and expecting that a guy is supposed to make a living making one offs for 35 bucks? It is long over due that Jim has adopted this policy. Congratulations Jim!

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
above post by GeneFiorot is on the money and says it all..besides that ,,from piror experiance, Pirate Cycles is a good or maybe the best company to deal with for our motorbike stuff..quality kits and parts.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes,
I think this is a smart move by Jim and should free him up from the time consumption iof dealing with individual customers, answering questions, making one of this and that. He has better things to do with his time and deserves to make a living without worrying over being able to stay in business from month to month. It wasn't all that long ago that we thought none of his creativity was going to be available as he was going out of business. So I take this as good news for the MB community and appreciate that Pirate Cycles was instrumental in helping Jim stay afloat when things looked pretty bleak. This is an example of how dealers and suppliers can work together for the benefit of all. Jim has made superior products and Pirate has built a reputation with superior service, so I'd say this is a good match and is a model for other suppliers and dealers. Nothing wins so well as quality. And yes, wouldn't it be sweet if Jim's engine came to be? Let the 2 stroke live! Made in America, yes!
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I really never could understand the need for a custom adapter. Isn't easier to just change the hub to a standard variety instead of waiting for weeks and months and expecting that a guy is supposed to make a living making one offs for 35 bucks? It is long over due that Jim has adopted this policy. Congratulations Jim!
This ^ I can totally understand. Jim has a big heart, making custom stuff at the prices he was charging. But, it is true, it is quicker and easier, and maybe cheaper, to swap out the hub. Don't worry Jim, we still appreciate you. :)

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I wasnt trying to say it was a bad move for Jim if that is what anybody is implying

I am just sayin that for those of us who want the best of the best way to attach a sprocket may likely have to spend money on a hub and spokes(unless the hub you are swapping it out for has the same size spoke flange then ya wont need spokes)
and if ya dont know how to lace or true then even more $
and at that point you probably may as well buy a wheel from pirate

in fact i just looked at piirates site and they charge the same price for a complete wheel as my local bike shop charges to lace and true

but yeah I definetly was amazed when i bought my custom sprocket adapter from Jim at how inexpensive it was considering it was made to my specs on a CNC

i guess to sum it all up what i am really trying to say here is

I am going to miss the inexpensive customization.

Thanks Jim for doing it for as long as you did. And am I sure glad I got mine while I could.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Yes,
I think this is a smart move by Jim and should free him up from the time consumption iof dealing with individual customers, answering questions, making one of this and that. He has better things to do with his time and deserves to make a living without worrying over being able to stay in business from month to month. It wasn't all that long ago that we thought none of his creativity was going to be available as he was going out of business. So I take this as good news for the MB community and appreciate that Pirate Cycles was instrumental in helping Jim stay afloat when things looked pretty bleak. This is an example of how dealers and suppliers can work together for the benefit of all. Jim has made superior products and Pirate has built a reputation with superior service, so I'd say this is a good match and is a model for other suppliers and dealers. Nothing wins so well as quality. And yes, wouldn't it be sweet if Jim's engine came to be? Let the 2 stroke live! Made in America, yes!
SB
Great minds think alike, I couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe we can soon say we have a product made in America by Americans once again.

Way to go Jim! Congratulations.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This is really gonna suck because I need a custom adapter for that double wide rear wheel on the new chopper build!! :(

Maybe if the price is right, Jim will still do custom work? (^)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
hope jim is O.K

Well there go’s my idea for jim to make heavy duty custom chain tensioners I guess , jim is the man , hope he will be O.K , I have heard nothing but good things about Manic Mechanic's and jim , I hope he had an patent on his gear adapter , god knows getting an patent is like finding hens teeth

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Honestly I hope he doesnt have a patent on the sprocket adapter

That would then leave the possibility of someone else making custom adapters.

And if someone did do that It wouldnt be as if they were stealing business away from seeing as how he will no longer accept the business.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
This is really gonna suck because I need a custom adapter for that double wide rear wheel on the new chopper build!! :(

Maybe if the price is right, Jim will still do custom work? (^)
There is a simple solution to this.

Just build 50 of these bikes.

Jims site states that he will accept inquires on orders of 50 or more identical items.
r.ly.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It isn't that he's no longer making sprocket adapters - just that he's no longer willing to deal directly with the customer for making custom adapters...

Which in all honesty I really can't blame him for, although it is a shame.

Additionally, I hope like heck he does have a patent, it wouldn't prevent others from making that product (if anything it would encourage it) - it would simply provide him some small percentage on the sales of what we all agree is a much appreciated invention.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Yep it is only fair that inventors get a percentage

It isn't that he's no longer making sprocket adapters - just that he's no longer willing to deal directly with the customer for making custom adapters...

Which in all honesty I really can't blame him for, although it is a shame.

Additionally, I hope like heck he does have a patent, it wouldn't prevent others from making that product (if anything it would encourage it) - it would simply provide him some small percentage on the sales of what we all agree is a much appreciated invention.
Yep it is only fair that inventors get a percentage of sells of there products , I mean look what happened to the wright brothers , and is an fact though that patents run out ! In the case of Nikola Tesla proves that , patents are very hard to get and you “must” have an attorney and a lot of $$$$$$$$ money invested in something that may not go anywhere

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Patent or no Patent no one is going to come along and make a CNC Custom Hub and sprocket for under 100.00 plus shipping which makes buying a Workman Wheel with the correct hub from Pirate a much better alternative. If anyone was out there by now we would have heard from them.