Project Incognito

GoldenMotor.com

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
i wanted to try this.....i was thinkin make a scoop facing open side forward with a small fan ran off the magneto and a temp. probe to watch the temp.....dose anyone think this will work?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Big dude- you are in Cal. where you can use a gas bike legally, why would you want to hide it? The probe is a fine idea but what temp is good and what temp is bad?

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
Big dude- you are in Cal. where you can use a gas bike legally, why would you want to hide it? The probe is a fine idea but what temp is good and what temp is bad?
idk about the temp...maybe 120F over ambient temp...but that is still hot so probably needs some tests ......I don't have my m2 license or the bike registered with the plate.... so cops give me ****....luckily i have been able to talk my way out of tickets...knock on wood.... and maybe i can ride on bike paths if it is quieter..

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I may have to try that and incorporate the fan.
I usually kill the motor at stop lights anyway instead of idling.

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
...but if those plates are just covering the sides of the engine there should be no problem. Just keep the front and back open so the cylinder will catch some wind when you are riding.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
well, Big, 120 over ambient isn't even at the boiling point of water most of the time for U, right? Aircooled VWs run oil temps of 180 to 220 (the lower of the two is better) and head temps a hundred degrees more than that.
Don't know about bike motors though.

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
well, Big, 120 over ambient isn't even at the boiling point of water most of the time for U, right? Aircooled VWs run oil temps of 180 to 220 (the lower of the two is better) and head temps a hundred degrees more than that.
Don't know about bike motors though.
the intake is inside so i was thinkin the engine would run like a POS sucking in hot air but idk.............but an external intake should take care of that if that happens

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
DOOOOOD... you need lots of air flowing over the engine or it will burn up!
(that's why they're called 'air cooled')
Take a look at this picture...you'll see that the air gets thru plenty, straight thru and out the back. I have ridden this at the end of summer when we had some warm days and I can leave this thing idling for a while without heat buildup. I crank the throttle full doing full speed for long distance and no heat buildup other than usual. These motors aren't as fragile to temperature as you think. I formed the panels to have a inward "c" type flanges top and bottom for rigidity.

Attachments

Last edited:

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
the intake is inside so i was thinkin the engine would run like a POS sucking in hot air but idk.............but an external intake should take care of that if that happens
The intake is fine and there is no noticable change between having the panels or not. The only change that is noticable is when it is below 40 degrees outside with full throttle. The airflow is hardly changed with the thru flow design...You'd be surprised at how little heat there is on this setup.

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
I see a mobile billboard! Rent it out for ad space!
Tell me about it! Rent space out and ride around town for a little ching each day!
Any takers? Bikeberry.com , you listening? Full size AD space on my green-bike's side panels!!
I even have a couple DBA's so that I could do this legit...(oops, forgot that my green bike is illegal to ride). Whatever.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Good going Paul, how about some sound foam inside the enclosure and do you hear any intake roar from the engine?
I am tempted to duplicate your endeavor!

PaulBater

Dec 7, 2009
Rochester, Ny
Good going Paul, how about some sound foam inside the enclosure and do you hear any intake roar from the engine?
I am tempted to duplicate your endeavor!
I noticed an improvement in noise reduction just with the panels. I tried some foam in a few areas to see what kind of dampening I would get. I have a feeling that if I get some self-adhesive weather strip and place it along the inside edges all around, I will see less vibration on the outside edges. The vibration with out dampening isn't that bad, but every little bit helps when quieting these motors. A different intake setup is my latest endeavor. I'll be ever-tinkering with this thing...as you know, perfection takes time.