Dellortos fakes vs genuine

GoldenMotor.com

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
well, i will say one thing. they respond rather quickey. (this is due to my experience with pocketbike engines, and im talking about the knock off)

its a flat slide vs the round slide. a round slide has its benefits, as does the flat slide. i prefer round slide carbs myself.i find them a little less complicated to tune.

mikuni is the way to go, just be prepared to shell out a couple spare bucks. the bonus witha mikuni is a wide variety of jet sizes.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Just looking at the casting and design of those carbs you can tell they wont be cheap. Alot of folks dont know that Italy is a lil powerhouse when it comes to motors and machines over the years, they make some excellent motorcycles. Too bad that never happened to their cars.

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Just looking at the casting and design of those carbs you can tell they wont be cheap. Alot of folks dont know that Italy is a lil powerhouse when it comes to motors and machines over the years, they make some excellent motorcycles. Too bad that never happened to their cars.
Ferrari, lamborghini, maserati, pagani

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
OK you got me there but I was thinking along the lines of Fiat, let me rephrase my statement. Mass produced Italian cars suck.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I knew there was another major manufacturer I had missed
Bugatti Type 41 (Royale) Coupé Napoleon.jpg
Bugatti Type 41 (Royale) Coupé Napoleon
Manufacturer Bugatti
Also called Bugatti Royale
Production 1927-1933
(6 produced)
Class Luxury car
Layout FR layout
Engine(s) 12,763 cc (12.7 L) (779 cu in.).straight-8
Transmission(s) 3-speed manual
Wheelbase ~4.3 metres (169.3 in)
Length ~6.4 metres (252.0 in)
Curb weight ~3,175 kg (7,000 lb)

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Mass produced aswell as being a very good car and stunning to look at, just struck a raw nerve with that umberella statement thats all :)

I tried to post a picture of the Fiat grande punto abarth essesse

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
OK you got me there but I was thinking along the lines of Fiat, let me rephrase my statement. Mass produced Italian cars suck.
Yes,
Ever see the Isetta (I think that's how it was spelled). It had a bitty little motor and three wheels, two up front and one in back. The whole front was a door which swung out so you could enter. Talk about death wish. It made the VW beetle seem big, safe and luxurious. For some reason it didn't really catch on in America. I think it was even smaller than the Smart car. That's small. I'm done. Let's get back to carburetors.
SB

microbore

Oct 5, 2009
Mass
I would stick to the genuine Dellorto or a Bing as tuning parts are easy to find for both. I have recently tried a Dellorto 14.12 SHA on my bike but I didn't have a main jet on hand that was small enough to get it running right (it had a 58 but probably needs to be around 52).

I'm sure you could find a used moped carb cheap. The Dellorto 14.12 SHA was used on Tomos and the Bing was used on Puch.

Here is a good source for new carbs and parts.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I think the Bugatti holds the record for most expensive car ever sold to a collector....bugatti was a hand made car like a rolls not mass produced........back to carbs!