Hello from Quebec, Canada

GoldenMotor.com

Nicholas Marker

Sep 9, 2009
Repentigny, Quebec, Canada.
HI Everyone!
I'm new to forums and bicycle motors. I just build my first bike last week-end. Its a KONA Lanai, brand new that I got for 550$. I sold my MINELLI Dual suspension since the frame was unusable to sit that chinese motor, a Jet silver 80CC from Zoombicycles.

Took me 4-5 hours to complete it. First run was a disaster. I broke the chain link, and lost all the parts! So basically I never heard the motor run!

I found the problem, my sproket was not well aligned and the chain was off when I applied pressure to start it.

I was kind of upset, so I order another chain and a pull start cord.

Now I'm waiting to get it in the mail. Just heard it was packed today in British Columbia. I just hope I get it this friday....

Any other suggestion on aligning the motor? I did spent another hour yesterday to align the sproket and got it right straight. But it seems the motor sproket is a bit slanted. Is that normal? I guess not... but I can't really move my engine that much.

Where I live, I saw 2 guys with a Bicycle motors. In my city of 75000 of population!

Thanks
Nicholas
:-||

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Your bike looks really nice and I'm sure you'll get the alignment problem straightened out. One suggestion I would make once you have it all back together again is to walk your bike for a city block or so with the clutch disengaged so that the bike will roll. As you walk listen to the chain to see if it is hitting anything and watch the chain to see if it wants to jump the sprocket. If it is really out of alignment it will jump. Once you're satisfied that the chain looks ok fire it up and take a ride! Got a helmet? You are in for some fun!... and you'd best prepare yourself for a lot of envious looks and questions.
Silverbear

Nicholas Marker

Sep 9, 2009
Hey Everyone, Finally I got it fixed properly and started her up last night. The motor was cold and new, but finally got it started and I was amazed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fast, quick starting from 0 to 40 Km/h. I just came back from a night ride and had a great time. Even my neighbours are amazed! Two nights and I did 43 km of motor bicycle!

Now I only hope my fun does'nt end with the municipal Police!

....THANKS SILVERBEAR FOR THE ADVICE.

LATER

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Everyone, Finally I got it fixed properly and started her up last night. The motor was cold and new, but finally got it started and I was amazed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fast, quick starting from 0 to 40 Km/h. I just came back from a night ride and had a great time. Even my neighbours are amazed! Two nights and I did 43 km of motor bicycle!

Now I only hope my fun does'nt end with the municipal Police!

....THANKS SILVERBEAR FOR THE ADVICE.

LATER
You're welcome . It sounds like you're off to a great start. I don't know what your laws are there, but in my area I'm the only one I know of with motorbicycles, so I have gone out of my way to be sure that I follow traffic rules, wear a helmet (I would anyway), have lights which run off my motor so they are always on... headlight, tail light and brake light. I signal turns by hand. I also watch my speed. When I'm back home in the forest I let it rip, but still try to be considerate to drivers, people walking their dogs, other bikers. I am aware how precarious motorbicycling is at this stage. I want the local cops to have a favorable impression of this new thing because there are going to be more motorbicycles everywhere and even here in the Superior National Forest since I'm going to start selling my builds. Every person I sell to I am going to give print outs on safety and will have signs in my shop promoting safe riding, wear a helmet, light up the bike and be seen, all that so that maybe around here it will get off to a good start and maybe we can avoid punitive regulations which are cropping up in some places by local legislatures. The short of it is, if the cops see you are being responsible in your riding they are less likely to hassle you. It helps in my case that I am older, usually have a kiddie trailer behind with my dog in it and an American flag waving from the trailer mast. Yes, officer, I am a good citizen. Law abiding, too.
Silverbear

Nicholas Marker

Sep 9, 2009
Hi Silverbear,

Yeah I guess after 2 nights, 43 km of road riding the bike seems to handle it. I do wear a helmet and bike like I usually bike: I follow the bicycle track. It leads me around my town (Repentigny) and I follow the circulation, like the stops, the lighs. I don't want to put lights on my bike to make it look like a motor bike. It's just a regular bicycle! It has bionic legs! Anyways, I'm carefull of the laws and all. Me too I'm not that young anymore (38) but I feel when I'm riding it, like 13!

later