Tall Bike Project

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm at it again, this time building a 'Tall Bike'.
This project calls for 2 bike frames stacked on top of eachother for height.
I did a bunch of You Tube surfing to see what others built & decided on my own approach. I don't weld, so with drill, sawzall, grinder & plenty of nuts & bolts, this is what I've got so far (one day of working on it).
- I didnt want to spend any money to build this contraption.
- I found two throw away donor bikes (both GT's).
- I won't be drilling any holes in the bike frames (just supporting hardware).
If I like the way this thing rides, I'll add engine power (possibly a front drive DIY shift kit w/ freewheel so that pedalling and motored won't interfere with eachother.
-Cheers-
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I haven't hooked up the brakes yet & its been raining here all day long so I'll need to do a little more work on it before taking it out for its maiden voyage.
This test spin will be similar to riding my 1st bicycle!
I can't wait.
When I can get it outside during the daylight, I'll take some detailed pics of the various mounting points to post on here.
Assuming this thing rides well, I could already imagine using a DH MTB for the bottom bike & a 'normal' bike up top for some of that full suspension bliss.
-Low- (should be renamed High...lol)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
When I read that post I had no clue what a "tall" bike was.

So, if you want to know anything, just google. Yup, lot's of tall bikes out there, all DIY.

I was trying to think of a reason why one would want to be way up there, that's all - :)

Scares me just looking at them. The higher you get the harder you hit.

The only way I would ride that high is on the original penny farthing.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I.W.

I'd mail the man a Speedo bathing suit. A fat old naked guy walking around is bad enough but a fat old guy who is no longer naked because of a Speedo is truly disgusting.

When Mike mentioned the good reason to ride a tall bike I saw it as the only benefit to riding a tall bike.

As for the age related memory loss you will have the benefit of of it being a new experience every time you see him. Some thing to look forward to.

Steve.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Folks,
Lets talk about bikes on here...
Save that other stuff (naked people & speedo's) for the forum labeled 'The Tavern'.
Thanks
-Low-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here are some more detailed pics of the Tall Bike Project construction.
I hooked up the rear V-brake & rear derailleur w/7 spd Gripshift.
Its ready for its maiden voyage, but I gotta leave for work now.
Maybe tonite.
Cheers,
-Low-

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Wow, don't miss a pedal Low, I could imagine the shot to the groin from that thing would be like Samo Hung kicking you in the junk with full force! I always looked for bikes with a low top bar for that reason, my mountain bike is the smallest frame I could find and looks quasi trials, lucky my gadget still works after all the mess ups I had as a kid.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I took the 'Tall Bike' out for its maiden voyage this evening (just around the block a few times).
All I can say is WOW!
This thing made me feel like a kid again on my 1st bike after just learning how to ride it.
My wife saw me getting prepared to ride it & mentioned how I was all hyper and full of energy.
Getting on & off the bike was easier than expected.
I was planning on installing a foot peg to step up midship, but fortunately I'm very flexible and can lift my left leg high enough to put on the down left pedal while holding the handlebars above me & push off with the right leg to get rolling and balanced, then throw my right leg over the rig. Getting off the rig is done the same exact way but in reverse (without the need for a push).
Riding up so high is so much fun. People don't know what to make of it while rubbernecking. It actually feels easier to balance than a normal bike. I think this can be compared to balancing a short broomstick on your palm, compared to balancing a long broomstick on your palm...its much easier to balance the longer broomstick.
I came back from the test spin impressed.
I was thinking about a slightly more forward position since as you go up with angled seattubes, you get more weight bias over the rear end of a bike. I removed the saddle, rotated the seatpost 180 degrees and replaced the saddle in its most forward position. This modification brings the seat slightly more forward since my seatpost has setback. The position now is where I would normally be positioned on a 'normal' bike, just higher up. Now I'm thinking adding an engine to the front end w/ chain drive & freewheel (two independent freewheeling powertrains).
-Low-

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Low, - I removed those silly comments from my earlier post and I'm sorry for hi-jacking your thread :( :oops:

My word you must be agile to be able to get up to the saddle on your tall bike without needing a step/footpeg or anything. When I was looking at the pictures of your bike I was trying to figure out just how you would get moving and up to the saddle without falling over. You're certainly much more brave than I am to build and ride such a bike, but I did find your comments that a tall bike is easier to balance very interesting.
Yes I'd heard it said that a tall bike can have too much rearward weight bias so moving the saddle position forward was a really good idea. It sounds to me as if you're going to be the first person to motorise a tall bike low. You will definitely need to video that test ride and put it on You-tube.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
IWW,
I have a YouTube acct but have never posted a video. I'm not even sure I could post one as I'm going from a Blackberry phone's video recorder to YouTube (not a high tech guy), but would like to put a few vids up of The Shifty Beast and this 'un-named as of yet' tall bike (once motorized).
Cheers,
-Low-

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just copy & paste the url link they provide, or from the browser's address bar... the youtube smartphone app is a bit of a pain but has both an upload & provides links & it seems to work ok *shrug*

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
There is a guy here in san francisco, who rides a white tall bike with a china girl mounted in the lower frame, in rush hour traffic at 8 in the morning and 8 at night. I see him all the time and its totally rad!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thanks for the advice, low!

I built a 'bedframe bike' for the last 4th of July.
(maybe that is tall???)

Seat was at the rear, and our son had difficulty controlling it without great effort.
I will try moving the seat forward and up top.

If I can get the geometry right, perhaps I would consider a friction drive.
:)
rc

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Yo Low,
After checking out the latest 'beast reborn' I thought
you might be headed off the deep end. Now I'm sure
of it.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Otero, LOL...
Moto, I was hoping I was the 1st to motorize one, but its all good.
Here is a pic my daughter snapped of me during our ride throughout the neighborhood today. There were a few not so low hanging trees I had to avoid. I was actually able to do a good trackstand on the Tall Bike which is something I have difficulty doing on my regular road bikes, but I'm getting better. Getting up & down from this bike has become second nature and is easy to do.
-low-

Attachments