And away we go

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Permit me to elaborate- James, the guy who sold me the frame called me last week to see if I needed anything else. Well Der...I could spend hours giving money to him for all the weird and wonderful bike stuff in his basement, yard, garage, living room...ok, just about everywhere.
I told him I was looking for a 26 inch coaster brake wheel.
Boom! He digs up a Kin lin with 11 gauge spokes. He found it on a 1940's girls bike and it had been painted baby blue. I did some searching and found that kin lin rims are pretty darn good.
I can't wait .... the parts are almost all gathered.
Good looking wheel, just get you a can of acetone and a NATURAL bristle paint brush and you should be able to get all that Baby Blue Paint off in no time.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Gadzooks! It works! My chain could use some adjustments and my front wheel is more out of true than I expected and it kicks like a Missouri mule but dayum it has pickup. It puts my puch maxi to shame in that department (though the puch is almost 40 years old and will likely last another 40)

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Well, there ya go.... second time out the kit supplied chain broke. Hooray for front brakes! Hello Mr motorcycle shop owner - take my money please

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Replaced the chain with a #41. I'm still am getting used to the clutch but I call this bike finished (for the moment)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That frame is just too cool for school. I love the way the lines flow on it.
That bike came together so nicely. Congratulations.
Just curious,cuz, are you pleased with that chain tensioner? Did it need any work to align it with the chain? Also, did your kit chain actually break or did the master link fail?

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
The kit chain broke. The master link was still connected. I added a few washers and a longer bolt to the tensioner to align it better. Since this is my first build I have nothing to compare the tensioner to. I knew I didn't want to use the stock one. I.originally got big fat tires for the bike but there were Hella clearence issues so I uses some skinny 26's that I had. It doesn't look as nice but it's a lot less hassel. The frame was designed for skinny tires.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Ok, I'm riding it around and I really don't care for the manual clutch. I suppose I will get used to it but the pull start/centrifugal clutch add on looks attractive. Any pros/cons? And how tricky is it to install?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ok, I'm riding it around and I really don't care for the manual clutch. I suppose I will get used to it but the pull start/centrifugal clutch add on looks attractive. Any pros/cons? And how tricky is it to install?
I havent run a cen. clutch on an6 of my cg builds, but Dave/Davezilla runs both pull start and Cen clutch on his bike and he can give you some advice on the set up.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I think I'm calling this project finished. I added a suspension fork and a calmshell. Plus a rack and some bags. I upgraded the throttle because the stock one was a little wobbly. It makes quite a difference. The fork smooths out the jerks a lot. I would still like to upgrade to a bigger tank. Not because I need more gas but because that dinky peanut tank just looks redonkulus.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I think I'm calling this project finished. I added a suspension fork and a calmshell. Plus a rack and some bags. I upgraded the throttle because the stock one was a little wobbly. It makes quite a difference. The fork smooths out the jerks a lot. I would still like to upgrade to a bigger tank. Not because I need more gas but because that dinky peanut tank just looks redonkulus.
Bike looks excellent..... I liked it before you even started and I like it even more now....