Should I dremel my hub So the sprocket bolts fit?

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Or do I hog out the 9 sprocket holes? Im concerned that dremeling the hub will weaken it and Im also concerned that hogging out the sprocket will make it unbalanced.

This pic shows where I need to dremel the hub, actually I have to go a hair past those black marks, the bolts will be really close to them spokes.

Thanks for any help :)

Dan.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Opening the sprocket bolt holes won't hurt. Balance really isn't the issue. What is critical is to make sure the sprocket is concentric with the hub.

You might consider doing both. From the photo is doesn't appear that you'd be compromising the hub by removing that small amount of material. I would suggest that the bolts do not ride against the spokes however.

Either way, make sure the sprocket has no wobble in the vertical or horizontal plane.

Tom

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Opening the sprocket bolt holes won't hurt. Balance really isn't the issue. What is critical is to make sure the sprocket is concentric with the hub.

You might consider doing both. From the photo is doesn't appear that you'd be compromising the hub by removing that small amount of material. I would suggest that the bolts do not ride against the spokes however.

Either way, make sure the sprocket has no wobble in the vertical or horizontal plane.

Tom
Thanks Tom.
The hub and center hole match up beautifully and I will be extra cautious when bolting everything up. Thank you for your quick reply, super anxious to get this project rolling :)

Dan.

How about using those 6 holes in your hub and drilling 6 holes in your sprocket to match?
Hmmm. Never considered that. I would consider doing that but I would have to wait to gain access to a drill press :( I really want to get this bike finished but more important I don't want to cut corners. Thank you for your reply!!!

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
You don't need a drill press, a cordless drill and one of those step bits from HF would get the job done.
I love this idea. Just for my peace of mind, having the bolt pattern so close to the center wont allow for any flexing further out on the sprocket right?

Thanks again,
Dan.

Oh, Im running off zero experience here with sprocket installs and I don't have the stuff with me but will I have to modify the back side of the sprocket pieces?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Dremeled out the hub, piece of cake. Used my dirtbike stand and a c clamp to hold it steady. Thank you-thank you for the information fellows!

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Good deal, how about another pic?
thanks
Argh! I wish I wasn't in such a hurry last night. After I got 'er did I installed the sprocket. I didn't use the rubber piece that goes on the outside of the wheel (next to the sprocket) because imo it would push my chain out to far. Hopefully that's ok?

The wheel assembling was something I was dreading but I actually enjoyed putting it together. The dremeled slots in the hub I think made things easier.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Clamping the sprocket directly to the spokes isn't a good idea. That rubber is there for a reason. You should use it and adjust your wheel to get the chain alignment.

You might get an opposing opinion on that but the majority of us will tell you to use both rubber parts and sandwich the spokes between them.

Tom

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Tom, thanks.
I haven't messed with a bike in over 35 years lol, didn't know I could adjust the wheel to fit! I'll google that.

Dan.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. Use both.
You simply have to be careful when tightening the bolts so the sprocket pulls down evenly.
Take the time and avoid spoke breakage.