mounting problems

GoldenMotor.com

darbyman

Apr 11, 2013
australia
hey all, i am having some troubles mounting my motor, i can get the back mount nice and tight, fitting well but the front ones on an angle to the tube so it doesn't sit flush would it be possible to make a packer so it sits nicely, any ideas would be greatly appreciated ,cheers

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Take a file or grinder and open up the mount a bit to fit the tube. Also, grind off the bottle mounting holes so they are flush. They can wear under vibration and allow the motor to loosen up. Nothing good happens when the motor moves.

slimful

May 8, 2013
western australia
When I mounted my engine I found that every time I pedal the left side continually
makes contact with either the ckank case or the exhaust baffel>
which ended in the weld snaping on exhaust.!.!!
Is there a way I can move the pedal crank 10 mm to the left.!.??

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just buy a SBP front mount adapter and specify your front diameter for the U bolt.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=74&osCsid=b5e280ul3ctpkrd49p41ej53l4

You can orient then up and down or tall and short.
Then size it so you back mount is flush to the seat tube as yours is not.

For your exhaust problem just bend your tailpipe or you can simply 'reamy-reamy' the mount holes in it with a drill bit the size of the 2 mount holes and just make them oblong (vertical to the pipe bend) so you can twist the pipe in.

Those are just 2 routine things I do for any bike the motor don't just drop into or the pipe won't fit right.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I mounted the rear engine mount flush, since it takes the brunt of the stresses transmitted through the drive chain. I cushioned my front mount with some auto heater hose to increase the grip and dampen a little vibration.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
There is one simple mount test.

Squat down and hold the bikes top bar with one hand, hold the top of the head with the other and push and pull the motor back and forth, if it if moves AT ALL it will fail.
If not your golden ;-}

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Take a file or grinder and open up the mount a bit to fit the tube. Also, grind off the bottle mounting holes so they are flush. They can wear under vibration and allow the motor to loosen up. Nothing good happens when the motor moves.
And if I may add; Unless you are sure of your grinder skills, try a hand file first. maniac57s solution is that you are fitting the two surfaces, and not adding another piece that may fail or something. Too much grinding and you're back to square one- but with less material to work with.
Good luck!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
New builders should probably use a file to avoid removing too much. As Trey said, the idea is to fit the surfaces better. I've also used a sheet of sandpaper wrapped around the tube to fit the soft aluminum mount block perfectly. The better the parts mate, the more secure the mount is. If the angle is off, this will make it right as long as it doesn't require much. If you remove too much material, you will break through the mount casting. If this happens, fill it with good steel epoxy for strength. (Not a bad idea anyway...)

I usually line up the front mount so its square and modify the rear to fit since it is so much easier to work. Shoot for a perfect 90degree angle in front, and grind the rear to fit flush against the tubing.

Last edited:

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
this is what I did:

The Sick Bike Parts front engine mount looks like it was basically a muffler clamp. I went to Auto Zone and bought two muffler clamps for about $4-$5. They clamps and nuts are heavy duty. I then cut up a piece of a Simpson Tie framing connector plate, dry fitted the engine with the back mount on, while holding it up in place with one hand, I put the muffler clamp up to where it would just about go through. I made a template out of cardboard and put it through the engine studs while doing it. It was a bit tricky doing it alone. I ended up having to put another muffler clamp and plates on top of the first one I did. It ended up really making it that much more secure.

It looks ugly as ****, but it solved the mounting problem I had.

Attachments

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
this is what I did:

The Sick Bike Parts front engine mount looks like it was basically a muffler clamp. I went to Auto Zone and bought two muffler clamps for about $4-$5. They clamps and nuts are heavy duty. I then cut up a piece of a Simpson Tie framing connector plate, dry fitted the engine with the back mount on, while holding it up in place with one hand, I put the muffler clamp up to where it would just about go through. I made a template out of cardboard and put it through the engine studs while doing it. It was a bit tricky doing it alone. I ended up having to put another muffler clamp and plates on top of the first one I did. It ended up really making it that much more secure.

It looks ugly as ****, but it solved the mounting problem I had.
That looks very similar to the mount I had to make to fit the ONEX 29'er frame.
Mine only used one clamp and the motor plate was welded to the clamp instead of bolting on top of the bolts like yours.
Worked very well.
Yours looks worse but also looks more secure...so I'll use two clamps next time the issue comes up. Good job!

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
yea, mine is pretty terrible looking. I've never welded before or have access to a welder so I didn't have much in terms of options. I basically just used a hacksaw and a hand drill.

I saw another post on the forum of a guy who cut up and used a $2 hockey puck as a front engine mount. I thought that was a great cheap solution.