A Veteran

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Couple of pics of a bike I built around 1983 for myself and the kids to get around on for errands etc. Powered by a Tecumseh 3.5hp, still goverened, salvaged from their poor old go kart. Has a top speed of just over 30. Has been pretty bullet proof. I dont remember anything breaking, has just had maintenance and worn parts replaced. Is a real pleasure to ride, very smooth and vibe free. Also is an excellent hill climber. Back when our country roads werent dominated by drivers intent on running you over we all rode this thing every where. I have seen the kids put 75-100mi on it on a Saturday back when it was their only means to get around. The last one left home 4 years ago so it is only occasional use now. Just shows that a well built bike can be long lived and practical too.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The bike was basically made from scrounging and scraps. The gas tank was made from a scrap from a wing spar from a friends ultralight. It was really a learing process on welding aluminum. Holds 3qts+

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks! Glad to be in a place where we all apperciate bikes with motors. I really believe the bicycle is one of the top machines we have come up with, one with a motor kick a$$!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
1983? Your fab motorbike is to our kit motorbikes as Gary Fisher's klunker is to the modern mountain bike.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Building a motorbike had been on my back burner since I was a kid and saw another kid riding a Whizzer. I guess I never really thought too much about how or what I was building, it just sort of came together with what was around. I worked at the time in lawn equipment and there was plenty of raw material to pick from. In reality this type of bike has been built I guess since there were bikes and motors. It is a very simplistic conserative approach that just works well. I could not venture to guess how many miles are on it but for sure a bunch. When the itch to build another struck I was cruising the net when I came across this forum. I spent hours reading, and was blown away by the talent and expertise here. I have begun a similar build using another double diamond type frame. Its just in the early stages now, waiting on parts. Have been looking at the Lifan (98cc I think) 2.5 hp engine that sells for around $99.

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
that is an awesome piece of engineering, with a power train like a world-war II bike.i like what you did with the middle triangle to give the engine room, i wanna try it because it looks like the most efficient way of doing it w/out sacrificing strength. you used the original crank bearing? i've done the same with the three-piece crank-bearings you can take apart, and stuck a grease fitting in the top so you could fill it with grease.the sealed ones you can't take apart would probably work even better, i assume your frame came with that.and for the rear sprocket....i havn't put power to my design yet....but i took apart a rear cassette down to the threaded inner-bearing-race part, cut the threaded part that gos on the wheel, and welded it to a larger chain-wheel.it's on a steel hub, aluminum would strip quick.i dunno how much power it could take before it stripped. how did you get your mongo torque sprocket on the back wheel?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks! The jackshaft in the pedal crank is an old Go Kart wheel hub welded in place. This allows the use of the standard issue 1 3/8x5/8 sealed high speed ball bearings and the usual keyed 5/8 jackshaft. Pulley and sprocket selection is readily available in this size. The rear sprocket is a standard 60t #35 Kart sprocket welded to the wheel sprocket hub assembly. I chose the #35 as it has more teeth/sprocket size to allow a lower ratio with out getting too large. The final chain drive is 6/1. This allowed me to keep the belt pulleys on the small size and easy to make the belt guard for. Configuring the frame shape as it is was necessary to use the current small engines of the time. The engine I am looking at now will fit I believe with out altering the frame. Is hard to beat an old, well running Briggs, Tecumseh, etc., for the power and torque the produce, but I am suprised at the scarcity and cost for the surviving used horizontials. Thats why I have been looking at the Lifan engine. If you have access to and old domestic horizontal engine, go for it, they are hard to beat!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks, I have long been a fan of Glen Curtiss and his motorbike(cycle) and avaition achievements. Some where I saw a pic of an early motorbike with a similar tank with a cone on the end for streamlining I believe it was one of his early bikes. This tank is a rough copy. I lived in Ormond Beach in the 60s and the legend of this bike still was talked about. I think this bike of his has always been an inspiration to me. I believe 137mph around 1907, a V8 no less.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If that's the same aviation Curtis I'm thinking of he also designed a travel trailer made of aircraft aluminum which was very cool and puts one in mind of a rocket ship.
That motorcycle is awesome.
SB