I need some advice

GoldenMotor.com

greathounder

Jul 20, 2008
West Michigan
Hi, I still plan to put a motor on my trike, but I have a few problems. The weed whacker motor isn't getting any spark. So I figure that modual needs to be replaced. The other motor I have is from a Toro Snow Master. That one needs a carb rebuild. And my third choice is to just get a kit and adapt it to the trike. I really prefer to go with a belt or chain drive, over a friction drive. So what is the best way to go. I know that which ever way I go, I'll have to do some retro fitting. I'd love to use the Toro motor, but I wish there was a way to add a clutch or compression release. :ride: That's the way I feel, going in circles. Thanks in advance for some help making up my mind...Bill

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I got the same dilemma! I got a worksman trike that's dying for a front mount. I have a chainsaw engine with a clutch but it looks like I may do better without that clutch and friction drive. But it's on the shelf for now.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know from nothing about belt drives. If I were going to motorize a trike i would do it just like it did the mtb bike I just finished.

Motor friction drive on the front wheel with a gravity clutch. The gravity clutch I have lifts the engine off the wheel with a brake cable arrangement. You don't have to get it more than a half inch or even less to solve your problems. Thats really all any clutch does is disengage the drive mechanism.

Today I ran the mtb bike around the area where I usually ride the china girl bike. I am using a 31cc engine not a 70cc so there is a little drop in speed and hill climbing ability but it is very very doable as transportation as well as a fun ride.

I would not plan to race it though. Since I just finished the bike i am not sure what to expect long term. I am still learning how to best ride it.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Attachments

JdubsLBC

Jul 27, 2008
LONG BEACH
What's up everyone, I'm jake, new today...

If you decide the weedeater motor is right for you, you may want to check something so simple as to see whether the little metal spring piece in the spark plug cable is in there or not. I had that issue with mine and stuffed alum. foil as a poorman's substitute. I got a complete tuneup on a weedeater for about 70-80 bucks and the guy replaced gaskets, plug, tuned the carb right, fuel line, filter... by that time you may consider a new, application specific engine...good luck.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Are those clutches standard to weed eater, lawn mower or chainsaws.
No they are not standerd to weed/chainsaw...but I think with a little bit of mod to the shaft something can be worked out....keep an eye out on my DIY build thread....I just might try to get one to work for the friction drive weedeater.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
What's up everyone, I'm jake, new today...

If you decide the weedeater motor is right for you, you may want to check something so simple as to see whether the little metal spring piece in the spark plug cable is in there or not. I had that issue with mine and stuffed alum. foil as a poorman's substitute. I got a complete tuneup on a weedeater for about 70-80 bucks and the guy replaced gaskets, plug, tuned the carb right, fuel line, filter... by that time you may consider a new, application specific engine...good luck.
I bought a brand new 31cc bolens weed whacker for 75bucks and it make a great bike.

JdubsLBC

Jul 27, 2008
LONG BEACH
good buy. i admit i had a sick emotional attachment to my craftsman weedwhacker.... or it would have made sense to replace it. haha.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah I used one of those for a weed eater bike but I let it run out of gas and managed to drag it till it seized. It is now part of several other motors. the joy of cheap engines. It was well used when it came to me.

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
your toro two-stroke should be a tecumseh 5 horse...it should have a 3/4 shaft, so dave31's right to suggest the centrifugal chain/belt clutches,3/4 is a common size, cheap stuff.the only thing is most centrifugals engage around 2000-2500....what would the toro-two-stroke spin at idle...would it eat up/burn out clutch shoes quick?. maybe set it up like it probably was on the snowblower, with a tensioner pulley and belt drive for the gear reduction and clutch, going to a jackshaft, then to the rear wheels. or go get a COMET 20 SERIES, with a 3/4 driver.your tecumseh/toro should have 4 bolt-holes around the shaft, that protrude about a half inch.these will fit directly to the torque-a-verter comet kit.you can find the kit for around 150.ebay, go-kart sites, theres alot of competition selling these, so a better deal is always there. then you won't need a clutch, or gear reduction, or a bunch of ugly bootlegged crap.comet cvt's are beautiful things, i dont know why i dont see more builds with the 20-series.its adaptable to MANY different brands. these are no bull, they've been around for 60+ years. honda civics even had a CVT trans at one point,1995-something. anyway i have a couple tecumsehs like your's, they sound like dirtbike engines. just take the carb off, take the four phillips screws out of the flat side,take that cover off and theres your diaphragm, snowblowers dont have air-filters, so its probably just dirty.dont tear the diaphragm though, get the cover loose, then use a razor blade to scrape it off, if it feels stuck.might avoid a rebuild kit that way.

Attachments