Shelby Front Springer Help

GoldenMotor.com

pacesetter

Nov 27, 2010
West Side Costa Mesa
I was hoping somone might have this springer front fork. i want to use it on this build but it does not seem right. if any body has any pics. of this fork setup they could send or post i would be graetful
thanks pacesetter...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Without knowing that springer, that's what I was thinking, that it needed truss rods of some sort as you'd find on a Schwinn springer (which were missing on my Schwinn). I don't know if the Schwinn rods could be adapted to fit yours, but it is worth a look.
Bicycle Parts This is where I bought my Schwinn parts.
SB

pacesetter

Nov 27, 2010
West Side Costa Mesa
thanks SB i think i have some truss rods that will fit. i am looking for the springs close up view. i sent a message to luxlow but he never got back to me. Thanks for all the help
pacesetter

pacesetter

Nov 27, 2010
West Side Costa Mesa
Hey Happy New Years to all and thanks for checking my post out. the engine is a 5 hp. brigss that has been shaved. if you want more pics or any other info. let me know how i can help.

pacesetter

Nov 27, 2010
West Side Costa Mesa
Thanks Dan. I do not think they are the same. the one he sells are like a schwinn spring fork wich only have one spring the shelby fork has three springs. I am making some progress and will post more pics in a few weeks and look foward to your commets

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
We finally figured out how to make the front springer struts by looking at other bikes and photos. Had Railmakers of Costa Mesa bend up some 1/2'' stainless tubing. We formed the ends, drilled the appropriate holes and mounted them to the bike. Looks great and is structually better. Now pacesetter can concentrate on motor mounts and a million other things to get his Briggs bike going. Thanks for the input we received from forum members. It all helps.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks really good. I hope the thread of this build continues here or somewhere else so that I can follow it. It is going to look awesome with that straight bar frame. With engine at that angle, will there be any problem with lubrication? I'm contemplating a similar build with a 50 Schwinn Panther so will be watching closely what you do. Your build is an inspiration, so thanks for sharing...
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey SB, I've run all my 5hp Briggs at a similar angle and with no shroud for 20 years and never had the slightest problem with oiling or cooling. Well, except for one time a few years ago when my buddy Dan and I just got his bike up and running. We trucked the bikes up to the base of Cajon pass and parked by the Mcdonalds. Road up the 138 and took the back way to Wrightwood. He didn't machine his double pulley groove deep enough and the belt bottomed out and slipped so much, it wouldn't make the grade. Also we engineered the diameter a little large and the overall drive ratio was a bit high. And I hadn't checked my oil in about a year (even though they hold 22 ounces, they burn a little). So mine was pulling the hill okay, but it siezed up. I had to pedal about 3 miles )(mostly down hill), and he rode his back. Got everything squared away and no problems since.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey SB, I've run all my 5hp Briggs at a similar angle and with no shroud for 20 years and never had the slightest problem with oiling or cooling. Well, except for one time a few years ago when my buddy Dan and I just got his bike up and running. We trucked the bikes up to the base of Cajon pass and parked by the Mcdonalds. Road up the 138 and took the back way to Wrightwood. He didn't machine his double pulley groove deep enough and the belt bottomed out and slipped so much, it wouldn't make the grade. Also we engineered the diameter a little large and the overall drive ratio was a bit high. And I hadn't checked my oil in about a year (even though they hold 22 ounces, they burn a little). So mine was pulling the hill okay, but it siezed up. I had to pedal about 3 miles )(mostly down hill), and he rode his back. Got everything squared away and no problems since.
Thanks for your response. I've been on the lookout for a 5 horse B&S engine, but no luck so far. I'm looking for something local to avoid shipping and something older to tinker with. I need to get more familiar with the model numbers so I know what I'm looking at when I see something on an old pump or generator. I've been frequenting a weekly local auction and figure something will turn up eventually. Have also been looking for dead mopeds for donor forks and wheel hubs with no luck so far, but figure spring will bring them out of hiding. I've also been studying up on your how to book for which I again want to thank you.
SB