zoom bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

tecker

May 31, 2008
does anyone know anything about zoombicycles good bad and ugly(ha ha)they have a black stealth motor looks nice please let me know if they are good or bad thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't know a thing about them...but you can make your own engine or one you buy stealth for a couple of bucks- use brake cleaner to clean the engine, then shoot it with a can of BBQ black.

atagent

Jul 2, 2008
Re: zoom bicycles -- they suck!

does anyone know anything about zoombicycles good bad and ugly(ha ha)they have a black stealth motor looks nice please let me know if they are good or bad thanks
Gonna tell my story here about them too, so Buyers Beware!

Got my 80cc engine kit from them as a birthday present. Was going to put it together back during 4th of July weekend. Mind you I'm a newbie, so very excited, as at that time, gasoline prices were getting pretty expensive too!

Anyway, put everything together, and ended up the engine is dead. Small sprocket would not turn no matter what.

Started to contact them via email. Got a call, said they'll look into it. Never heard back for two weeks. Emailed them again and again. Finally they told me to send back the bad motor where I have to pay! Fine, $30 to send it back from the SF Bay Area to Canada. Don't hear from them for ~4 weeks!?! Emailed again, finally got to talk to John. He said someone might have signed for it but he doesn't have it, so he'll research and call me back. Never updated me if they checked the engine out but they did send a replacement.

Guess what? It's broken! Same issue. Is it me? Perhaps, but I have a licensed mechanic doing the installation and he told me the engine is frozen. Could be the same lot of shipment they received...?

Anyway, emailed them again, and no answers!!!!

Frustrated? You bet! Very terrible experience for a newbie. Asking my friend to dispute the card charge instead of paying to ship the engine back again and praying for a working motor!!!!

If you want to buy, pay a little more for much less headache!!!!!!!

Just my $0.02. :(

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Got mine from powerking aka zoomcycles. It works fine. 1000 miles on it. Tore it apart to check for wear and there was none. Going to strip al the paint and paint it black while apart and replace all gaskets. Will replace all hardware with stainless steel. Not afraid to ride bike anywhere with motor.

atagent

Jul 2, 2008
Maybe because I bought the 80cc kit? Anyone else bought the 80cc kit with problems?

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I purchased an 80cc motor from Powerking (Zoom bicycles) in May and I have been very happy with it. So happy I purchased another one for another bike in August. Both are still running fine. You are aware that the 80cc motors are really 69cc?

Last edited:

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Mine is an 80cc as well.

I suspect that if you had the same issue with 2 different engines then it is more likely that you may have been doing something wrong. Sometimes if the engines have been sitting in boxes for awhile with the clutches engaged the pads will stick to the metal plates when the clutch is disengaged. They just need to be knocked loose.

jerseykat1

Re: zoom bicycles -- they suck!

Gonna tell my story here about them too, so Buyers Beware!

Got my 80cc engine kit from them as a birthday present. Was going to put it together back during 4th of July weekend. Mind you I'm a newbie, so very excited, as at that time, gasoline prices were getting pretty expensive too!

Anyway, put everything together, and ended up the engine is dead. Small sprocket would not turn no matter what.

Started to contact them via email. Got a call, said they'll look into it. Never heard back for two weeks. Emailed them again and again. Finally they told me to send back the bad motor where I have to pay! Fine, $30 to send it back from the SF Bay Area to Canada. Don't hear from them for ~4 weeks!?! Emailed again, finally got to talk to John. He said someone might have signed for it but he doesn't have it, so he'll research and call me back. Never updated me if they checked the engine out but they did send a replacement.

Guess what? It's broken! Same issue. Is it me? Perhaps, but I have a licensed mechanic doing the installation and he told me the engine is frozen. Could be the same lot of shipment they received...?

Anyway, emailed them again, and no answers!!!!

Frustrated? You bet! Very terrible experience for a newbie. Asking my friend to dispute the card charge instead of paying to ship the engine back again and praying for a working motor!!!!

If you want to buy, pay a little more for much less headache!!!!!!!

Just my $0.02. :(
regardless of you getting a bad product. they will likely win if you dispute because you still have their product (bad or not) and if they have proof that it was delivered to you then they are good. If you want to do a no hassle successful charge back you need proof that you returned their products to them otherwise what you are attempting to do is called theft. sucks that you have to pay shipping to Canada but unfortunately that's how it usually works, you couldn't find the kit in Cali, that's where i got mine.

thanks for exposing a bad seller. wait doesn't look like anyone else had issues with them. i would pull the motor apart and see whats going on in there. they are fairly simple to pull apart.

Last edited:

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
I bought a 49cc from Powerking of canada in June 08. I ride it daily to work and such. This motor has ran well from the start. I do think that the packing materials were too loose. Anyway It seems that my clutch pads were also sticky at first. My Current miles, 365. Good luck with your motor problems.

atagent

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks for your feed-backs.

Yes, my brother-in-law, the licensed mechanic, pulled the motor apart, among trying various methods to loosen up the sprocket/clutch -- no luck. I've read the instructions over and over, doesn't seem like I've done anything wrong on my end. Plus I have a little more faith in the licensed mechanic since he's doing the installation for me.

Unfortunately for me, it was a birthday present, paid for by a friend, and she's been lazy on disputing or contacting the company. I didn't know she was ordering from a company in Canada instead of California. Whenever I try to get in touch with John with zoombicycles.com, doesn't seem like I'm getting much luck in getting call backs or emails.

I have no doubts some people are getting good motor kits, but I'm just frustrated at the lack of customer support from them. All I want is a working motor without having to pay yet another $30 to ship another defective product back, and not knowing if the next motor they send will actually work or not!!!

What a pain!!!

atagent

Jul 2, 2008
I'll give it another go this coming weekend and see if I can get the sprocket moving. Hopefully another go might loosen it up enough to get the motor running! Certainly will update once I give it a go.

Thanks for the help guys!

atagent

Jul 2, 2008
Update: Finally working!!!

Wanted to update at this post as well.

After some long hours on Saturday, the motor finally came alive. John from ZoomBicycles did send me a parts diagram so my bro-in-law the mechanic and I took the motor apart, lubed up the components, and lots of elbow grease and a lot of energy later, the sprocket finally started to tune.

You should've seen our faces when it fired up!!! The bro-in-law's who was kinda fed up with the unpaid work that seemed to go no where, and mine that was just glad it finally works!!!

Need some more tweaking to get it running smoothly but am sooooo glad it finally works.

5.0/10 for ZoomBicycles for finally being helpful but it should not have taken soooooooo damn long!!!

:ride2: Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! You guys rock!!!

atagent

Jul 2, 2008
I think some internal organs were kinda grinding each other too tightly. My bro-in-law did some banging and lubing using some grease. Put the thing back together, and still was very unwilling to move. We played with the clutch, pushing it from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock for a long while, and I think that got it to semi-loosen, then we put the chain on, put the gas in, and fired up the motor and let that do rest of the loosening!

Last edited:

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I bought an 80cc from boygofast. The small sprocket wouldn't turn also, but eventually did with some prying, (guess I was Lucky) It wouldn't start and I e mailed them and they were very helpful. Eventually all worked out ok.
It's a shame they want you to pay shipping on a defective product. I also bought from Ca. rather than Canada.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
I bought an 80cc from boygofast. The small sprocket wouldn't turn also, but eventually did with some prying, (guess I was Lucky) It wouldn't start and I e mailed them and they were very helpful. Eventually all worked out ok.
It's a shame they want you to pay shipping on a defective product. I also bought from Ca. rather than Canada.
I just bought 2 BGF 80cc kits (if there is such a thing) for $139.95 and shipping was FREE. It's hard to turn down a deal like that. (^):ride2: