40 + mile ride today !!! what is the farthest you have gone ???

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
any one take there bike out on exsesivly long rides ? i wondered about the reliability of my build going long distances at sustained high cruising speed so i tested it out.

first let me say that my bike is a grubee gt5 stock modified. all parts are stock no upgrades besides the nkg plug. and all the stock parts have been modded to be there best. jug port time corrected decked and ported and port matched, head decked for high compresion, piston has intake side trimmed 1/4 off the whole skirt and a 4 leaf clover pattern of ramps ground in the top for better port flow, the exhaust has been gutted and a new stinger pipe of 1/4in larger diamiter was bolted on and prefferated, 44t rear sprocket manual clutch. cns carb with the choke cable deleated and blocked off and the mixture screw exposed. tunned ok but i still have a low end bog from idle to 1/2 throttle but from there up it ripps !! if i give it the gas to fast from idle to 1/2 it bogs so i have to slowly gas it to half then it boots. thinking the main jet is too rich ? or the air fuel mix needs adjusting btter.

-anyway i rode from my home in woburn to downtown salem ma in one swoop no stops. 18.3 miles
-then from there after letting the bike cool down and sight seeing down town i rode from downtown salem ma to city cycles in stonham ma, looked at some new bike parts. 12.6 miles
-stonehame i rode to my work .... lowes in woburn ma 2.3 miles
-after work i rode home 4 miles

all together today i rode my bike for a 37.2 miles according to google maps but i know i took some differant side streets and swayed from heavy trafic so its prob more acurate to say 40- 42 miles give or take, almost 19 of witch was non stop 3/4 throttle 25-30 mph crusing !!!

as far as i am concerned the bike rode pefectly without a single hiccup. starting to think these things can run for longer than i though and are a lot more reliable when the stock parts are cleanned up and modded.

when i started i had exactly .5 gallons of gas (93oct 40:1 syn) and i am home now and still have about .1 gallon left so i drove 40 miles on .4 gallons.... mpg ??? around 90-100mpg !!! honest mileage.

with the carb properly jetted/tunned i bet i can get a few more mpg out of her allong with a pinch of extra hp and throttle responce ! not digging the bog right off idle to about 1/2 throttle.

my only wish is that i had front suspention lol my neck tube is an odd size and i cant find a front susp to fit.

and mabe if i had a puch 70 hi hi and an free flowing exhaust ... (tourqer pipe by arrow or sbp expantion chamber, maybee weld my own for free and coppy the best design?).... the bike would run a lot cooler and be more peppy.

also 35 is a little quick for me i never ride that fast so everything past 25 is wasted power.... i need to re gear my rear sprocket up to a 48t - 56t so my 3/4 throttle cruise speed is around 20 not 25-30.

all in all i can do long rides on my bike now without fearing things breaking or overheating now that i did it and put it to the test. i also learned my mpg and am happy with it but could be better.

guys can you post your experiances with long rides and how well you thought your bike did with it. did it overheat ? breakdown ? blow a gasket ? or did it run perfect without a flaw ?

and how well does your motor do running at 3/4 - WOT for long periods of time ?

let me know.... i want to hear about your experiance with your longest ride !
usflg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've done some 50 mile roumd trip rides, never a break down or problem, those two bike cruise at 32-34mph stock BGF ebay china girls.

My latesy china girl build will cruise at 42mph and I hqve seen 45mph and a little over 8000rpm coming down a slight hill, only have about 90+ miles on this for now but no issues, still has little NT carb no expansion exhaust yet but well ported jug, Puch hi hi 70cc head custom build CDI and better dirt bike coil and the lower is a Gen IV GP 360 balanced lower from Duane at thatsdax.......best of the best engine I've had so far, 26" wheels and a 34T rear sprocket.

Map
reddd

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Air cooled engine simply do not overheat unless something else is wrong.
Jet it correctly (a tad rich) and it will run 24/7/365 without complaint.
I have ridden 10-12 hour rides with only fuel stops many, many times with no problems.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
wow 50 mile rides !!!!!!!!!!!! and 12 hr sesions lol my hands would go numb !!!

you guys are pretty hard core to go 50 plus miles or you have got one comfy bike with good shocks !

i am trying to find front suspention for my cruiser but the guy at city cycles told me it was an odd size not standard (its a little thinner than standard) and he didnt know of a front fork setup with suspention and disk breaks that would fit without a lot of searching around and cost.

and yeh i should have done more homework and bought a dax balanced motor right off the bat ! would have been nice

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...you guys are pretty hard core to go 50 plus miles or you have got one comfy bike with good shocks !

and yeh i should have done more homework and bought a dax balanced motor right off the bat ! would have been nice

...and that's the issue right there, not so much if the bike can take it but just how much punishment you can deal with lol

I used to take my two smokers out for the longer wanderabouts on the weekends & I found that while the bikes could keep going - the noise & rough roads, the incessant scream of even a silenced two stroke combined with the relentless pounding on even a semi-suspended bike was just too much for fun after about a hundred miles or so, I could keep going ofc... but it would become more a chore than a cruise.

Comfy seats & shocks only get you so far, my simple Schwinn was a rugged beast for sure but with it's short bars and forward ride stance numb hands and lower back pain were inevitable - "balance" a motor all you want, it's still a single cylinder and it will vibe a lot no matter (validity aside, balancing is more preformance than comfort in any case) and it isn't just engine vibration that gets you, it's every pothole you can't avoid shocks or no.

...so I built the Rollfast to be the "comfy cruiser" with a much more comfortable ride stance & a jackshaft/shiftkit - a far more effective method for reducing vibrations as the engine's cruise RPM is a lot lower, the heaviness of the bike itself, the long handlebars & the sprung seat eliminated pretty much all of the remaining felt vibration... but even with all that and a full-length custom exhaust with extended silencer I found that 100-150 miles was about as much as I could stand of the "wingding a-dingding" while dodging traffic and the occasional passerby;

& so I built this fully suspended gas/electric tribrid recumbent, a two stroke may reign supreme in power to weight - but for quiet comfort & efficiency, the torque for the long hauls a four stroke is pretty much the indisputable champ;

Also jackshafted, cruise is just over idle & I can have a conversation without yelling - I just completed the "testing phase" this past summer so my longest trip was only about two hundred miles (with lunch break)...

...I didn't feel like I'd gone even remotely that far, I'd have easily kept going but I'd gotten to where I wanted to be & it was gettin' dark lol ;)

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
well now the heads off and i can see there is a little carbon on the piston but none where the transfer port ramps are and a little less on the intake ramp. the cumbustion chamber is clean ! no carbon just a thin film of gas from when i cut off the bike and rolled in to the yard. the plug looks ... ok i guess i dont realy know how to read a two stroke plug ... if it were a four stroke i would say its way to rich and mabey needs a hotter plug.

pics coming i hope lol i have to take them on my phone then e mail them to myself and upload them here. for some reason they like to hang around my outbox and not get sent even if i hit send all they just sit in the outbox for a couple of hours so a lil wait on the pics.

if any one can... will they post a pic of there plug pulled from a well tunned motor so i know what i am looking for. and any picks of your piston and chamber after some run time on a tunned motor.

well now that the head is off again .... i guess i will break out the sandpaper and rub down the head some more on my glass table. could use a little more compression.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have been riding long distances for most of my life, and even I must admit, after the first 100-150 miles, it's not as much fun.
My behind can still take the seat time, but my hands go numb after the first hour or so nowadays....

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
...and that's the issue right there, not so much if the bike can take it but just how much punishment you can deal with lol

I used to take my two smokers out for the longer wanderabouts on the weekends & I found that while the bikes could keep going - the noise & rough roads, the incessant scream of even a silenced two stroke combined with the relentless pounding on even a semi-suspended bike was just too much for fun after about a hundred miles or so, I could keep going ofc... but it would become more a chore than a cruise.

Comfy seats & shocks only get you so far, my simple Schwinn was a rugged beast for sure but with it's short bars and forward ride stance numb hands and lower back pain were inevitable - "balance" a motor all you want, it's still a single cylinder and it will vibe a lot no matter (validity aside, balancing is more preformance than comfort in any case) and it isn't just engine vibration that gets you, it's every pothole you can't avoid shocks or no.

...so I built the Rollfast to be the "comfy cruiser" with a much more comfortable ride stance & a jackshaft/shiftkit - a far more effective method for reducing vibrations as the engine's cruise RPM is a lot lower, the heaviness of the bike itself, the long handlebars & the sprung seat eliminated pretty much all of the remaining felt vibration... but even with all that and a full-length custom exhaust with extended silencer I found that 100-150 miles was about as much as I could stand of the "wingding a-dingding" while dodging traffic and the occasional passerby;

& so I built this fully suspended gas/electric tribrid recumbent, a two stroke may reign supreme in power to weight - but for quiet comfort & efficiency, the torque for the long hauls a four stroke is pretty much the indisputable champ;

Also jackshafted, cruise is just over idle & I can have a conversation without yelling - I just completed the "testing phase" this past summer so my longest trip was only about two hundred miles (with lunch break)...

...I didn't feel like I'd gone even remotely that far, I'd have easily kept going but I'd gotten to where I wanted to be & it was gettin' dark lol ;)

awsome recumbant bike !!!!!!! if i had more money i would have gone with a 99cc pred but cant aford the cvt and motor along with all the other kit parts. i know for a fact though when this 2 stroke breaks down beond the point of cost effective fixing ... lol that 99cc pred will be coming in the mail. i like four strokes a lot more than 2 as there is so mutch that can be done with the valve train and porting !!! also after removing the gov syst from the case and changing flywheels those motors ripp !!!! the broad power and masive tourqe is awsome... i like to drive at a moderate speed and have the most damn midrange power i can get at the speed that i cruise at and i know how to tune a four stroke to do it.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
as u can see the head is clean thanks to some good polishing the piston has some carbon but not on the transfers and less on the intake ramp .

idk about the plug though i am a four stroke man and its saying rich to me ?

i am running 93oct 40:1 all the time and thease pics are right after the 40 mile tour

ohh and by the way .. witch direction do you guys prefer to mount your head ? plug leanning tords the carb or exhaust port ? i leaned it tords the exhaust pointing the gap at the intake manifold thinking it will help but not to sure since when the fuel comes in it hitst the back wal right ? i wish i had a strait plug head with a good shapped dome none of this slant head squish band crap !

i may order a new piston and recut the skirt and grind bigger ramps on the intake and exhaust and tranfers then polish the surface ! i think a polished piston dome would help stop carbon buildup.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
awsome recumbant bike !!!!!!! if i had more money i would have gone with a 99cc pred but cant aford the cvt and motor along with all the other kit parts. i know for a fact though when this 2 stroke breaks down beond the point of cost effective fixing ... lol that 99cc pred will be coming in the mail. i like four strokes a lot more than 2 as there is so mutch that can be done with the valve train and porting !!! also after removing the gov syst from the case and changing flywheels those motors ripp !!!! the broad power and masive tourqe is awsome... i like to drive at a moderate speed and have the most damn midrange power i can get at the speed that i cruise at and i know how to tune a four stroke to do it.
Thanks, it was built specifically for this (long trips) & it's build thread is here if you're really bored lol: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24210 pics: http://s305.photobucket.com/user/Serenity151/library/tad?sort=3&page=1

You've hit the nail on the head with the HF motors, they're really inexpensive... or so they seem to be at first anyway, then you add up the redrive & fabrication costs. That "$99" price tag grabs a lot of folks for sure.

Yea, they're not bad motors for the money, question is if you're willing to fabricate what's needful to stuff a utility engine into a bicycle - why not look into utilizing motors that already have a redrive? They seem more costly at first, but as they come with a proper transmission - a true three or four speed auto, semi-auto or clutched (your choice) they're actually cheaper than the HFs and you're not limited to one business for aftermarket preformance & repair parts...

Here's a somewhat dated thread, the Honda CRF clones have become if anything more common & even less expensive now, maybe $200 complete w/some shopping? http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19630

The only catches are engine orientation & (physical) size, being horizontal choppers/recumbents are the easiest... then again stuffing a utility motor in a bicycle isn't exactly a turn-key operation either lol

Whatever you choose, enjoy the long haul - there's places to go & stuff ta see after all :D

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Thanks, it was built specifically for this (long trips) & it's build thread is here if you're really bored lol: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24210 pics: http://s305.photobucket.com/user/Serenity151/library/tad?sort=3&page=1

You've hit the nail on the head with the HF motors, they're really inexpensive... or so they seem to be at first anyway, then you add up the redrive & fabrication costs. That "$99" price tag grabs a lot of folks for sure.

Yea, they're not bad motors for the money, question is if you're willing to fabricate what's needful to stuff a utility engine into a bicycle - why not look into utilizing motors that already have a redrive? They seem more costly at first, but as they come with a proper transmission - a true three or four speed auto, semi-auto or clutched (your choice) they're actually cheaper than the HFs and you're not limited to one business for aftermarket preformance & repair parts...

Here's a somewhat dated thread, the Honda CRF clones have become if anything more common & even less expensive now, maybe $200 complete w/some shopping? http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19630

The only catches are engine orientation & (physical) size, being horizontal choppers/recumbents are the easiest... then again stuffing a utility motor in a bicycle isn't exactly a turn-key operation either lol

Whatever you choose, enjoy the long haul - there's places to go & stuff ta see after all :D
i know ALL about the lifan motors lol i built my 2 sons a restored 1979 honda act 70 with a 125 lifan auto 4 speed with rev. of course i got the 150 big bore kit and the big valve head too along with a tall lobe cam... lol my 8 year olds 3 wheeler has more power than 5 china bikes put together !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i also know that a honda gx160 degoverned with the oil sensor removed a larger dirt bike mikuni carb strait pipe with glass pack, big valve head, double high lb springs and retainers, light f and a properly geared kart cluch or cvt forged wizco piston and light stroker rod, a ark billet flywheel 28 deg timming and 1:3 ratio roller rockers on a midrange cam ..... that my friend will eat china bikes and probably any so called 50-80 cc 2 banger you can toss at it for breakfast !!!!!!! i had a cart with almost that same setup gx160 running 30in rear swamper tires and it would wheelie !!!! 50mph speeds in a 600lb go cart ! i want that on a sweet fat tire beach cruiser !

pluss i have been oggleing the 4 stroke beach cruiser board traker bikes on hear and all the fastest and most powerful and beautifull build run a preditor 99 - 212 so i figure a gx160 genuin honda something i already know a **** of a lot about ( i could rebuild and mod one with my eyes closed!) would be right in the middle of being just enough and to mutch. plus i already have a box full of spare parts including 2 heads and a case allong with a valve cuting tool kit and the correct 5mm valve guide reamer for thease motors to do a proper 3 angle job. all i need is a new gx 160 and i already have a old style 14 cc head and a flat top piston that combo alone raises the comp to 10:1 without decking. also have a 21mm kein carb and thumb throttle from a 200 cc 3 wheeler ... just waiting for the china girl to blow the bottom needle bearing and its on !!! an all out honda gx160 build !

untill then i will try and keep this motor in the powerband cruising between 20 and 30 cause thats pretty mutch all shes good for lol

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know I sound like a broken record, but my numb hand issue was solved when I got my dax lower build, the overall balance of this engine is like day and night compared to all the other engines I have or have had, there is a certain rpm that a buzz shows up but I just push right on past that a little and she smooths right out or I can stay at 30-34mph and be below the buzzy rpms.

Just got my second dax balanced lower in the mail two days ago and cant wait to get it built and on one of my bikes, I like my older engines for putting around but for a longer cruise im spoiled on the balanced engine now....... !

Map
.wee.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I know I sound like a broken record, but my numb hand issue was solved when I got my dax lower build, the overall balance of this engine is like day and night compared to all the other engines I have or have had, there is a certain rpm that a buzz shows up but I just push right on past that a little and she smooths right out or I can stay at 30-34mph and be below the buzzy rpms.

Just got my second dax balanced lower in the mail two days ago and cant wait to get it built and on one of my bikes, I like my older engines for putting around but for a longer cruise im spoiled on the balanced engine now....... !

Map
.wee.
dont get me wrong here i like thease little 2 bangers but for like 40$ more than just the dax lower end i can buy a honda gx160 seeing as i already have lots of spare parts for it, and have a bike with way more raw power than any china girl could make. it would be more reliable too.

i am though growing attached to this thing and if i fall in love with it then mabey a full dax rebuild would be the way to go in the futere but for the same price a honda or pred build could be done. as all i would need is the basic pull start motor ... i have a lot of the preformance parts from nr racing already....the only thing i would need to buy is a midrange cam and roller rockers.. already have 26lb springs high comp head carb exe......

i like this lil motor but i know how mutch power my last gx160 had and this lil motor is not on the same page, lol its not even in the same book !!!! i

i would love to see a full gx 160 build go up against a china girl modded to the extreem

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
dont get me wrong here i like thease little 2 bangers but for like 40$ more than just the dax lower end i can buy a honda gx160 seeing as i already have lots of spare parts for it, and have a bike with way more raw power than any china girl could make. it would be more reliable too.

i am though growing attached to this thing and if i fall in love with it then mabey a full dax rebuild would be the way to go in the futere but for the same price a honda or pred build could be done. as all i would need is the basic pull start motor ... i have a lot of the preformance parts from nr racing already....the only thing i would need to buy is a midrange cam and roller rockers.. already have 26lb springs high comp head carb exe......

i like this lil motor but i know how mutch power my last gx160 had and this lil motor is not on the same page, lol its not even in the same book !!!! i dont care how many upgrades you bolt on it or mill out of it !!!

As far as the dax engine I just buy the lower $60 then I get the rest and build from there some they aren't that expensive.

As for a gx160 build you are correct lots of torque and power can be had, personally I wouldnt go with a gx160 I would do a gx200 or the clone, which I have done and still have the engine sitting in the shop, I only used the 18lb valve springs though because the 26lb are for an engine that is built to see 8000+ rpm which I was only building for about 6500rpm and ended up with a 50mph home bult single seater kart with it.

I have a bike right now with a china girl on t that has seen 45mph with a stock NT Carb no expansion exhaust and I have less than $150 tied up in the engine, it cruises @ 42mph with my 215lbs on it and it is just a simple single speed build, I like the big 4 smoker builds also and plan to do one in the future, there is something awfully enjoyable about a china girl build that has been done right with the best parts to be extremely reliable, there are people on here that have logged over 10,000 miles on a china girl and still going, so they can be made to be very reliable f they are done right, I don't personally have one with much over 2000 miles on it but the one that does has been road hard many times and a good part of those miles were 40-50 mile round trip rides at right at wot most of the time and that engine is bone stock..... not even a bearing or gasket upgrade and its been going since fall of 2009....., not my smoothest or most powerful engine but has been a jewel for reliability and just plain simple 30mph cruising fun.

Personally I like all of them big 4 smokes, small 2 smokers and all the in between, the china girls get a bad wrap because of builders who honestly just don't know what they are doing, and the hand full of engines that come over in the kits that are just poorly built with junky bearings, even the better ones get a bad wrap because of them, I've had a couple myself.

If done right they're all lots of fun and can be a very reliable way to cruise around, but all this said there is no doubt that a gx160 Hondas or gx200 Hondas or the clone build if done right is the most reliable compared to the china girl over the long haul, key to all of them lasting though is not to build them to an all out point that the internal components are super stressed for top performance, if they are they wont last as long, hot rods are built for power and speed and not long term reliability and require more adjustment and tinkering to keep that upper performance level going, a solid moderate build with good components is where I would be at when looking for best combo of performance and reliability with a 4 stroke gx type or any of the small industrial type 4 smokers.

Best wishes on whatever you do, i'm sure it will be a great build and it sounds like you know what you are doing with the 4 smokers/

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Just two weekends ago I rode 40 miles on my non-engined bike (and that's not really that far for the hardcore guys)...

i love that bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how much is something like that !

i have the energy and strenght to ride plenty more than i do but i cant afford a bike that is .. well right for the job lol all i could afford was an entry lvl 29er hard tail its a shwin rival . its a mountain bike with a cruiser type frame the geomitry is wierd but its comfy enough for me to go a good 25-30 tops before my back hurts and i just do not want to ride anymore. unfortunatly its out of comition lol i took it trail riding pretty hard and snapped the rear axle in half ! and bent the quik release shaft so i need a whole new rear hub with disk break mount for it and have it respoked to my rim ... or just buy a new 29in rear tire 7speed with disk break mount. and a new rear tire as mine is bald .bolth of witch i can not afford ! so my main pedal bike is sittting in my basement verry angry at me.

i was thinking of doing an e bike with it and buying a 3000-5000 watt rear hub motor with disk breaks and a 7 speed casette but idk money is tight and i would have to also buy the batterys and controler... something like a 5000 watt 72volt 29inch bike would be my dream ride !

Attachments

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
well i though again about the china girls reliability ... i looked into it and now that i am hearing other side of the story here it seems that a lot more people than i thought have stock bikes that last more than 3000 miles and run great out the box...........it would seem i got a bunk top end !!!! the bottom end however is clean and has good tolerances , the crank looks like a single piece too ! its like the top end and bottom end came from 2 dif factorys !!! i was that guy with the horror story lol.. my top end was garbage until i cleaned it up ! the casting was so bad in the ports there were casting flakes as big as potato chips sticking up!!!!!!!!!!!! and even the weld on the z intake had a bur so big it covered almost half the inside of the intake tube !!! the carb adjustment screws were capped off and it was adjusted out of wack lol and the port timing was off quite a lttle bit the piston covered a lot of the intake at tdc and the recomended oil mix of 16:1 is a joke... all of that combined gave me a bike that could not idle to save its life and had verry little power to the point of severe dissapointment. if i had not taken it appart and reworked the whole top end i am shure one of those huge potato chip sized casting flash pieces would have flaked off and destroyed my motor by now. also if i was not a mechanicaly inclined person this kit would not have been worth the money, would have put it togetgher and been dissapionted and out 160$ .

fortunatly i am a very good small engine mechanic and i know exactly what i am doing and now my motor runs like a well tunned machine and pulls pretty hard for a small 2 banger !

i am very happy to hear that all the kits are not like the one i got and people are happy with them bone stock ! i honestly thought they were a scam as soon as i saw the ports and flaky parts. but it seems like lots of people run stock motors for thousands of miles at speeds of 35 plus and have no issues. thats good

my top speed is and will always be 30 - 35 because i do not want to ride any faster ... i am not a fast guy i am a power guy lol i gear my motor for the speed i travel at most and build it for the most power i can at that speed ! after all what good is a fully modded motor that can go 50 mph on a 30t sprocket if it has no power at all driving around town at 20 ? all the power is at the top of the rpm range and its geared for high speeds a bike like that has no power at low speeds. i would rather build a torqe beast that is all midrange power and in its power band between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and geared to cruise at 20-30 wile in the powerband. to me that seems like a whole lot more useable of a bike as i never go over 30 anyway i would alway be in my powerband

so i guess i will go ahead and keep this motor and modifiy it to be a midrange beast and try to make it as reliable as possable

to add to my mods now i want to get the following

ie : puch 70cc hihi head and custom x chamber exhaust tunned to the desired rpm range. mabey a more tunable carb thats a little bigger and that will be all i need for this build !

should make for a nice cruiser bike that can take the long hauls !!! thats why the need for the puch head extra cooling aria ! and the free flow exhaust helps cooling too.
all i need after that is front disk or drum brakes and a nice shock absorber seat post for my springer seat.