Made my own exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Just wanted to share the exhaust that I made. I'm not great at taking pics while building stuff but I did ok on this one. the smaller dia. pipe is from an older ladies schwinn cruiser frame and the larger pipe... I think 1 3/4" was $6 from auto zone.
I dont have a tube bender or a torch for heating and bending, so I made several cuts into the pipe about 3/4 the way through them and then bent the pipe into it, then welded and grinded smooth... lots of work, but I needed practice welding anyway.
I never made anything like this before so it's all trial and error... I hope it sounds and performs well. Oh yeah, I didn't take any pics of me stuffing the larger diameter pipe with fiberglass, but I did... I cant believe how much fiberglass I was able to pack in there! And sorry the picture quality sucks, I have to take pics with my crappy phone.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0389_zps1e7e7c74.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0390_zps522cf928.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0400_zpsf7b72b84.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0399_zps5d43841d.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0401_zpsa43ca40c.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Very cool idea , and well done for your first one. Be sure to use a hanger back to the frame somewere. I started takeing old ten speed bars and cutting out the curves to fit what i need . Then i take little sections of conduit and cut a slot length wise ,these make great couplers to hold the pipe together during tack up and letts you fit the pipe to the frame ,so no guess work.
Outside of motor work tanks,pipes and bars make the bike custom and really show off your style. Keep after it and keep your eyes peeled for a torch there invaluable.

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
What size pipes did you use and how did you come up with the hole sizes and how many to drill? Did you stuff insulation in between the inner pipe and the outer pipe body? Oh and what gauge metal did you use?

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
What size pipes did you use and how did you come up with the hole sizes and how many to drill? Did you stuff insulation in between the inner pipe and the outer pipe body? Oh and what gauge metal did you use?
The inner pipe was old Schwinn frame tubing... I think it's a hair over an inch dia. and the larger pipe was standard guage auto exhaust pipe 1 3/4"
I used a #7 drill for the holes and drilled them about 1/4" apart.
...and yup...stuffed the insulation between the two pipes... I believe this is pretty much how those automotive glasspack mufflers are made.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Thanks... I couldn't get those pics to post for some reason.
If you right click the picture where it is at and the click "Copy Image Location" you can use that in this
replacing the example with the link. This can be done also by clicking on this image
up above when you are writing your post. Hope this helps out.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've built a bunch of pipes and that is very good looking indeed! Labor intensive too! Keep after it! I'd love to see what you do with a frame...keep us posted!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Very good looking pipe.

My guess is that it's pretty loud. Good top end, not that great in the mid range.

dingodog

Nov 21, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I like the fact that you took the time to start working and designing your own pipes. Welding came out good for a first timer! But. I sincerely have to tell you that the pipe's design won't work as it's suppose to on a 2stroke engine. I am almost certain that the stock pipe works better.

It is all about resonance.

Last edited:

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Hey dingodog.... it's not an expansion chamber... it's built like a "cherry bomb" or "glasspack" muffler.... and yeah, I'm not a muffler designer... and it's just a small Chinese motor, I'm not all that worried about maybe making an additional 1/16th horsepower, I just needed a project to keep me busy. But I do appreciate the info, maybe I can use that for another project down the road.
and Dracothered, nope, havent ran it just yet... still fabing up the rear sprocket adapter.
But I did add a couple things to the exhaust.... a mounting tab near the rear and some fancy new cooling fins... just cuz I think they look cool :)

So far so good...this was taken yesterday before I made the fins..

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Your bike is quite intriguing. I find it very interesting to look at. It looks like something from the 40s or 50s. It seems to have a really long frame too.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Hey dingodog.... it's not an expansion chamber... it's built like a "cherry bomb" or "glasspack" muffler.... and yeah, I'm not a muffler designer... and it's just a small Chinese motor, I'm not all that worried about maybe making an additional 1/16th horsepower, I just needed a project to keep me busy. But I do appreciate the info, maybe I can use that for another project down the road.
and Dracothered, nope, havent ran it just yet... still fabing up the rear sprocket adapter.
But I did add a couple things to the exhaust.... a mounting tab near the rear and some fancy new cooling fins... just cuz I think they look cool :)
Those fins are the bomb... are they just welded at the ends?

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Dracothered, the fins are welded all the way down on both sides... and that sucked.. and the welds looked terrible...lol. So, I had to use a few various dremel tool grinding/sanding bits to clean everything up.
...and yes Biknut, it does have an older look to it, I'm going for that late 1910's or 1920's motorcycle boardtrack racer style... but not trying to make any kind or replica or anything... just going for that older style... but in my own way.
oh yeah!...and It looks long cuz I stretched the '48 Schwinn frame 4". I kinda wish I would have gone 6" but I think it still looks good.

Last edited:

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
thats not really an exhaust.. you need more space where the muffler is for expansion.. and baffles.. look at a car exhaust tube goes in hits a baffle tube inside baffle hits another bafffle then a pocket of air..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mybike1,
You certainly don't need any help with the bike building but I thought I'd offer an enhanced version of the photo of your bike. Everyone should be able to see the work that has gone into this project. Hope you don't mind.

Keep us posted. This is an interesting project that appeals to us who appreciate the attention to detail that has gone into it. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Attachments

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
thats not really an exhaust.. you need more space where the muffler is for expansion.. and baffles.. look at a car exhaust tube goes in hits a baffle tube inside baffle hits another bafffle then a pocket of air..
its a glass pack, or a resonator. and it is an exhaust. the baffles drilled into the inner tube creates some turbulence and back pressure, while the fiber glass filled chamber between the inner and outer tubing muffle the sound. not all muffler have baffles. every truck ive owned ran glasspacks.