rt carb idle??

GoldenMotor.com

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
I cannot for the life of me find the idle screw on my rt carb!! It will not idle at all if I come to a stop it just shuts off. please help

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is only one screw. It's the one with the spring under the head. Screw it in to increase the idle speed, out to decrease.

If there is no screw, only a threaded hole and you bought the carbureto from thatsdax, then you should contact Duane. He'll make it right.

Tom

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
I've got the exact opposite problem. My idle runs crazy. Can't even ride it, its too loud and vibrates like crazy. It is really high even if I back out that screw all the way. The cable tention doesn't seem to affect it either. Tensioned or all the way loose, its same thing. I read somewhere on this forum someone had the same problem. No idea whats happening. Also I put in the 70 jet because most people say it runs better.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've got the exact opposite problem. My idle runs crazy. Can't even ride it, its too loud and vibrates like crazy. It is really high even if I back out that screw all the way. The cable tention doesn't seem to affect it either. Tensioned or all the way loose, its same thing. I read somewhere on this forum someone had the same problem. No idea whats happening. Also I put in the 70 jet because most people say it runs better.
Have you confirmed the throttle is working? Remove the air filter, look into the throat of the carburetor and twist the throttle. See if the throttle block is actually opening and closing. You should see about 1/2" of movement, up and down as you twist and release the throttle grip. If not, that's your problem and you need to check the cable attachment to the throttle block (squarish aluminum part that moves, or should move)
Also make sure you have no air leaks where the carburetor attaches to the intake manifold and the manifold to cylinder gasket is good.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Do as Tom said and check your slide. There is no reason that it should be stuck unless it was installed it incorrectly or there is something preventing it from shutting. If that checks out fine then check for an air leak. When the RT is installed properly you will hear a small click; that click is the Carb sitting flush with the manifold inlet. Make sure the main jet is tight and secure as well.

Frank

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Alrightie i redid my intake manifold. I added an o-ring between the manifold and the plastic spacer. It idles lower but still out ofcontrol. Where doea it usually leak? Also, the alidde is down but is it normal to have the little ball on the end of the tgrottle cable to stick out the side of the slide. Thats the only way that it seems to stick on there. Also alot of smoke if that has to do with anything.

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
i think I have an air leak too. I screwed in the needle all the way and still wont idle. Im hoping that its the manilfold because im getting the new one soon, still isnt here but should be here soon. And in my engine
i can hear what sounds like scraping insode the engine every now and then, its not a constant sound it comes like every 5 seconds almost like there is a piece of metal in the motor thats being pushed around, im scared one day that it will fail because of that sound any suggestions?

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
So new post um, When I first start the bike up it all works idle is fine but then as I ride lets say 15 mins and stop the motor will shut off what do you think this means?

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
so i called duane up and he said that it was because i was running lean at a 70 jet. i put the stock 75 back and it seems to run good but thats with a cold engine. both jets ran good when cold but when engine temp gets warmer, it gets out of control. havent been able to test 75 long enough, a little loud at night so just wondering if cold/hot engine plays factor in idle.

BMS420

Jan 18, 2012
Hawaii
Can't get my RT Carb to idle also.. And I also notice that the outlet to the intake is broken in one spot where the nut is held smh I have another RT carb that I brought earlier from Dax so I guess I will rebuild the old one since the one I got in the mail yesterday is cracked.. I live in Hawaii so I'm sick of waiting on shipping and I have to call Dax or Skype to place an order since the web site won't let me select my state...

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Alienboy.. You need to check for Engine Fresh air leaks. From what you are telling, it sounds to me like you have one or more air leaks on your engine. Test for them right away because fresh air leaks mean certain death for your engine and with fresh air leaks there is no way to tune your Engine and carb properly with any fresh air leaks. Test for them.. Find them.. Fix them.. And then start over with your carb.. Also.. Keep mix around 20:1 . This will provide plenty of lubrication and power for your engine.. Enjoy the ride..

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
I have had crazy issues w/ idle on dellorto shas and rt carbs alike. The problem has never been an air leak, but a jetting problem! if the carb is jetted too high it will surge like crazy when idleing. I run a 68 or 69 in my ported 66cc with an expansion chamber, puch head, dellorto and billet intake, no problems. Try down jetting? hope this helps MOTO