Next SoCal Race Event Oct? or Nov? - 2011

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
That straightaway is long enough for 1/8 mile drag races. Sweet.
Drag races on the long front straight will be happening this time.
Hope someone will bring a radar gun.

We will have more time on the new track and can run after dark too
if there is no alcohol being consumed. A night ride on the track with a
bike light show before the party starts?

Saturday November 5th is the latest date in the year that I am
considering because daylight savings starts the next day on Sunday 6th

However Saturday 22nd October looks good and there is about
30 Supermotards racing on the track on Sunday 23rd that we could stay
and watch.

How does that work for everyone?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
(read in eerie whisper voice)
Scheduled it........ and they will come!!!!
I did but I screwed up the date, too hot!
I have about 4 months so no great rush to finalize a date.

I am thinking about putting on a motorized wheelchair class
and wanted to know if you would be a sponsor?

With so many American over weight and outta shape I
know it would be a popular class.
Nothing larger than a stock 6.5 hp HF motor FD.
what do ya think? gimme a call.
PS: It's an inside joke....

Last edited:

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
'Scuse me, 3200' in late September, perfect weather! November maybe a little nippy camping with elevation.
Contact us

Hotter in Apple Valley than Bakersfield even with elevation. Who woud'a thunk it?

October 22 great!

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
oh no! it might be hot out! i guess i better stay home and ride my bike around town all day! wouldn't want it to overheat!

seriously, we ain't pansies. people play all sorts of sports in the heat. i've raced bmx, won skateboard contests, and climbed friggen towers in 100+ temps. i think i could handle sitting under an easy-up and drinking some cool beverages inbetween those grueling 20 minute heat races...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Excuse me, 3200' in late September, perfect weather! November pretty nippy camping with a little elevation.
You are excused.
Check the weather
History : Weather Underground
September is still hot
October is 10' cooler
November 6th is daylight savings so early sunset at 4.57pm
========================
Sat Oct 22
/51 Average temp New Race Day

Sunrise: 7:03am
Sunset: 6:12pm

==========================
Sat Sept 24
/58 Average temp

Sunrise: 6:42am
Sunset: 6:49pm

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
YOU THE MAN I'M HAPPY YOU'RE WILLING TO DO THIS AT ALL THANK YOU!
3200ft.lean them jets! adjust the exhaust stinger and check your tire presser lets race

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The # 81 AGK bike was totally outside of the rules for the
Motorized Bicycle race at Willow Springs on June 18th

The HIGHLY MODIFIED # 81 AGK 6.5 hp HF bike will not be racing in
the Unlimited Gas class again.
Anyone else that wants to build a monster motored bicycle can only
ride it in a truly unlimited class at the next SoCal race on Oct 22nd

The rule is no gas motors over 11 hp which caps the class out with
bikes like a 50 cc 11 hp water cooled Morini.

Also no motorcycle tires.

If you are planning on entering a bicycle that is close to the limit you
need to get it approved by me.
If you think you can sneak it in
remember that I make the final decisions at that race.

eBikes are a different deal and the only problem entry was liveforphysics
#100 eBike that had motorcycle tires and brakes and too powerful a motor.
liveforphysics said he spent $4000? just for the parts.

Too bad that liveforphysics burned up again as the race against #81 AGK
would have been a show stopper. I think that the AGK bike would have won.

The # 81 AGK bike lapped the #0 9.2 hp Morini who is an experienced racer.

liveforphysics #100 eBike can race the AGK bike in an exhibition race but will
not be in the Unlimited Gas class if he dares to show up. lol

High praise. Curious, was it the largest displacement bike there or others in the same class?
CulverCityClassic #6 was racing his stunning custom framed flat tracker with the same
6.5 hp HF motor that he had tilted upright. I voted for it in the Piston Bikes bike show.
It was modified with AGK parts to about 11 to 12 hp.

CulverCityClassic do not add any hp to your bike for the next race.
You are at the limit for your class and more hp will put you in the next class.....
Please call me.
Motorized Bicycle racing is not going to be a hp and money race.

There was another high hp 4 stroke from Bigboys that did not show that will
probably be at the next race.

Last edited:

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
Also no motorcycle tires

I have bicycle tires but would love to have motorcycle tires-I think they would be safer at speed for now heavy tubs and thorn liners.
Do you fill that motorcycle tires are unfair or are out side the definition of MB? not to be a lawyer about it just asking.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
pardon this slight thread misdirection, but at least it relates...

the argument has been brought up before about motorcycle tires and other non-bicycle parts used on race bikes. some people think it's unfair, and/or that it's outside the definition of a "motorized bicycle," and a few other opinions that i can only describe as jealousy, either for not being able to afford them, or not thinking of it first.

the current tire of choice seems to be the Maxxis Hookworms. Maxxis is the new name for Cheng Shin. Cheng Shin has been making tires for over 30 years, makes motorcycle tires, bike tires, and specialty tires (wagons, trailers, etc...) they've been a popular brand of tires on many bikes, and odds are, you've had some on one of your bikes.

the hookworm tire, if you haven't seen it already, has a distinct wrap-around "tread," which consists of U-grooves on an otherwise slick surface. 20" ones come with a dual compound design, being softer at the sidewalls for more traction.

it's designed after motorcycle racing tires, and that's essentially what it is, only down-sized for bicycles.

bicycle design and related components have come a long way. most of the mountain bike design and technology is based on proven motorcycle designs. take a look at a high-dollar downhill mountain bike, and the only thing it really has in common with a beach cruiser is that they both have pedals.

but put a chinese two stroke in either, and they'll run in the same class. the rider's skill will decide the outcome.

as far as "fairness" goes, motorcycle parts are available to everyone who can afford them, same as every other bike, part, engine, etc, is.

if you're gonna bring "fairness" into it, then where do you draw the line? is it "fair" that one guy has a machine shop and can fabricate any custom part he wants, while someone else built their bike with a hammer and vice-grips?

is it "fair" that another guy has a ton of money and can buy whatever he wants, while his competition pumps gas for minimum wage and saved money for 6 months to finally buy a used junker and an engine kit?

is it "fair" that a master mechanic engine builder with unlimited access to state-of-the-art equipment can dial in a motor perfectly, gets to race against a guy with a dremel tool in his backyard?

"it's not fair" is most often used by the guy who lost.

racing is about skill, and about whatever advantage over the other guy you can get.

if we start placing restrictions on everything, we might as well just adapt the NASCAR rulebook, and make everyone have the same bike, the same engine, and just go around in circles all day long.

what's the point of having an "unlimited" class if you're gonna place limits on it?

look at the AGK bike that ran laps around everyone at willow. was it unfair that it had a motor on it that anyone coulda bought from harbor frieght? was it unfair that it had a highly-experienced rider on it? (some may call him a "ringer.")

the only thing i woulda thought was unfair about that bike and that rider, was if i didn't even get to see it because of restrictions, politics, or whatever.

so now, you're talking about an "exhibition" class, like only stuntmen (or clowns) can build and ride monster bikes.

the safety argument doesn't really fly either. it's racing. it's dangerous, we all have to sign waivers, and we all know what we're getting into. if someone builds a 20HP bike, or any bike that'll run in the unlimited class, i'm pretty sure they know the potential for disaster. anyone who builds or buys a high speed motored bike and doesn't think about the risks involved shouldn't be on the track (or the bike) in the first place.

the better the bike, the better the racing. things like motorcycle tires can make a bike safer, not just faster. if we can't use motorcycle parts, does that include safety gear as well? instead of buying some leathers for the next race, maybe i'll shave my legs, slip into some spandex, and get one of those awesome aero-helmets that are shaped like the Alien's head. i mean, after all, i'm still riding a bicycle, right?

my opinion, for what it's worth, is no matter what you build, as long as it has functioning pedals, it's still a motorized bike.

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
pardon this slight thread misdirection, but at least it relates...

the argument has been brought up before about motorcycle tires and other non-bicycle parts used on race bikes. some people think it's unfair, and/or that it's outside the definition of a "motorized bicycle," and a few other opinions that i can only describe as jealousy, either for not being able to afford them, or not thinking of it first.

the current tire of choice seems to be the Maxxis Hookworms. Maxxis is the new name for Cheng Shin. Cheng Shin has been making tires for over 30 years, makes motorcycle tires, bike tires, and specialty tires (wagons, trailers, etc...) they've been a popular brand of tires on many bikes, and odds are, you've had some on one of your bikes.

the hookworm tire, if you haven't seen it already, has a distinct wrap-around "tread," which consists of U-grooves on an otherwise slick surface. 20" ones come with a dual compound design, being softer at the sidewalls for more traction.

it's designed after motorcycle racing tires, and that's essentially what it is, only down-sized for bicycles.

bicycle design and related components have come a long way. most of the mountain bike design and technology is based on proven motorcycle designs. take a look at a high-dollar downhill mountain bike, and the only thing it really has in common with a beach cruiser is that they both have pedals.

but put a chinese two stroke in either, and they'll run in the same class. the rider's skill will decide the outcome.

as far as "fairness" goes, motorcycle parts are available to everyone who can afford them, same as every other bike, part, engine, etc, is.

if you're gonna bring "fairness" into it, then where do you draw the line? is it "fair" that one guy has a machine shop and can fabricate any custom part he wants, while someone else built their bike with a hammer and vice-grips?

is it "fair" that another guy has a ton of money and can buy whatever he wants, while his competition pumps gas for minimum wage and saved money for 6 months to finally buy a used junker and an engine kit?

is it "fair" that a master mechanic engine builder with unlimited access to state-of-the-art equipment can dial in a motor perfectly, gets to race against a guy with a dremel tool in his backyard?

"it's not fair" is most often used by the guy who lost.

racing is about skill, and about whatever advantage over the other guy you can get.

if we start placing restrictions on everything, we might as well just adapt the NASCAR rulebook, and make everyone have the same bike, the same engine, and just go around in circles all day long.

what's the point of having an "unlimited" class if you're gonna place limits on it?

look at the AGK bike that ran laps around everyone at willow. was it unfair that it had a motor on it that anyone coulda bought from harbor frieght? was it unfair that it had a highly-experienced rider on it? (some may call him a "ringer.")

the only thing i woulda thought was unfair about that bike and that rider, was if i didn't even get to see it because of restrictions, politics, or whatever.

so now, you're talking about an "exhibition" class, like only stuntmen (or clowns) can build and ride monster bikes.

the safety argument doesn't really fly either. it's racing. it's dangerous, we all have to sign waivers, and we all know what we're getting into. if someone builds a 20HP bike, or any bike that'll run in the unlimited class, i'm pretty sure they know the potential for disaster. anyone who builds or buys a high speed motored bike and doesn't think about the risks involved shouldn't be on the track (or the bike) in the first place.

the better the bike, the better the racing. things like motorcycle tires can make a bike safer, not just faster. if we can't use motorcycle parts, does that include safety gear as well? instead of buying some leathers for the next race, maybe i'll shave my legs, slip into some spandex, and get one of those awesome aero-helmets that are shaped like the Alien's head. i mean, after all, i'm still riding a bicycle, right?

my opinion, for what it's worth, is no matter what you build, as long as it has functioning pedals, it's still a motorized bike.
Baird, your opinion counts and it is worth something, I agree with you and I'm sure many do. but also consider all top motor sports do put limits for one reason or another.

F1-8 cyclinder engine topping out at 18,000 RPM
Top fuel- 8 cyclinder engine they had to make a 1/4 mile 300' shorter

I know all motor sports have limits and restrictions, I don't know why and I don't care, I just know they do, and it's someone or somebody's decision to do so.

The last thing I want to see is someone rolling up to a race with a motorcycle that customized the frame by adding functioning cranks and peddles to it. because now it's a 'motorized bike'

Heres another issue. If I told you my bike is 11hp how do we know for sure unless it's been put on the dyno. Like anything if you can start with a 6.5 hp engine and boost it up to 18hp, what makes anyone think they can't boost a 11hp Morini to 15hp or more, is anyone going to believe it's 11hp because I told you so, I won't

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
Death race was "Race what you bring," and we had a blast. Are you trying to have fun or make people winner and losers? Peace
#22 is my daily rider one car family but I'm a gear head so mach porting part swapping with mopeds and hand making a reed intake was just good fun the racing is icing on the cake with this hobby --I don't have to win I do hope to make a good showing no one likes to get there butt kicked I hope to mod up and go faster this time fun stuff --I WILL NOT BE USING ANY THING I DO NOT USE ON THE STREET--I have one MB I' m nuts for this hobby I love to see the race only MB of richer folk running the track makes me get more creative and resourceful and that's fun to---my hope is to in the future cast a line of slip in big bore reed-ed cylinders and performance heads true 80cc. I love to tinker I hope racing will help bring better motors to the street and improve the hobby.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Squirt DRAMA!!!! Where's my popcorn. Why have ebikes with unlimited? Is it because the winner at the Death Race won with an ebike? Race what you have and combine everybody! How about a rolling start? The front straight looks long enough to do it.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The last thing I want to see is someone rolling up to a race with a motorcycle that customized the frame by adding functioning cranks and peddles to it. because now it's a 'motorized bike'
Did you read my new classes?
Did you read that input by phone is preferred?

If anyone does that they May be in the new "Unlimited Gas OR Ebike Class"
which will still have some basic rules like:

Has to have functioning pedals, etc, etc...

If your hypothetical "motorcycle that customized the frame by adding functioning cranks and peddles" is bending the spirit of the new Motorsport too much then they just won't get to race????
Why is this such a big issue? Lets put on another successful event and see what happens.

Even though the class is unlimited all entries will still have to be
a bicycle derived and related vehicle.

If you want to race a motorcycle they are MANY ways to do
that already.
The new Motorized Bicycle Motorsport is the only place where
you can race a bicycle.

You are bringing up extreme case scenarios that probably
will never happen and if they do we will deal with it then.

Heres another issue. If I told you my bike is 11hp how do we know for sure unless it's been put on the dyno. Like anything if you can start with a 6.5 hp engine and boost it up to 18hp, what makes anyone think they can't boost a 11hp Morini to 15hp or more, is anyone going to believe it's 11hp because I told you so, I won't
Another non issue that will be dealt with as more races happen. I have
already decided how to deal with the rather artificial and loose 11 hp limit.
If you possessed a phone you would already know what the deal was. lol

Any racers pushing the 11 hp limit risk being put into the new 'Unlimited
Class" which will probably not have many entries.
You are forgetting that the number 1 rule is "Have Fun" which will be the
deciding factor when any of these issues come up.

11 hp water cooled Morinis have to run pretty much stock. There are
only 2 of them and having a high hp bike did not necessarily mean that
much at the Willow Springs Go Kart Track.

The largest 2 Stroke Class and the small 4 Strokes really don't have
any rules right now and are pretty much unlimited.

Anyone bringing a bike that pushes the envelope in any way should
run it by me first.
I am not going to let the fun get bogged down in a lot of rules and
bickering.

Last edited: