81' Schwinn Cruiser 5 Build (Picture Heavy)

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If you buy a corvette and replace the factory wheels, it's still a corvette. :D I'm sticking with the schwinn forks, neck and handle bars but for safety sake the wheels and maybe breaks need to be upgraded. Sometimes nostalgia has to give way to technological advances. Especially when you're bolting a motor onto a bicycle. reddd

Yeah, your right... I don't know anything about building these things... :rolleyes:

revnull

Jul 14, 2010
Morgan Hill, Ca
Yeah, your right... I don't know anything about building these things... :rolleyes:
I'm not ragging on anyone's expertise. Experienced builders like yourself lending their advice is one of the things that make a site like this so informative and helpful. I'm merely electing to not go the full restoration route. Even though the original wheels where built tough (12 gauge galvanized spokes I believe), time/rust has taken its toll. Since I'd like to avoid using a ragjoint sprocket mount and would not like to break a spoke at speed, a new rear wheel seems like the right choice. The front wheel is in bad shape as well, I might as well get a matching set. Again, this is my noob opinion based on my very limited experience.

Even if the advice is not headed, it's most certainly appreciated.

- Ray

revnull

Jul 14, 2010
Morgan Hill, Ca
Here are some pictures I found of an original Schwinn Cruiser 5:

I've seen replacement decal sets on ebay, but most are water transfer. I've read that these type of decals will not adhere to powder paint. Is there another option or am I SOL?

hot rodder

Jan 23, 2009
Hayden ID.
your rims are savable go to napa auto buy a gallon of aluminum brightener this is a acid that will eat the rust and make the rims look new. use a trash can lid pour some aluminum brighter in the lid stand the rim up and put in the acid and rotate it and scrub it with a brush as you go then rinse thoroughly with water you will be amazed with the result will also clean spokes and hub