Carb adjustment(s)

GoldenMotor.com

muldrick

Apr 14, 2010
Eastern Shore
I have the 80cc kit with a carb like this.
The idle is inconsistent, I don't know where the C clip is at currently. I assume we are talking about the clip inside the carb where the little "bucket" is? (attached to the cable).
I don't think the throttle is returning completely because the fuel mixture screw on the side does not seem to make consistent changes and there's no slack in the throttle cable.

When I first start the engine and accelerate is is nice and smooth, but if I stop and accelerate again the engine is not smooth and I get a lot of vibration (which to me feels like engine missfiring) Lack of fuel...too much?

I suppose I'll start with checking that C clip?
Any other suggestions?

Jun 7, 2010
on a bike
Check the color of your plug if its black its to rich if its gray its to lean if its brown you should be fine.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No problem ;) But heads up - there's a lil pin on the inside of the carb body that needs to line up with the slot on the slide that the cable feeds through, otherwise it'll jam.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
if it jams it will most likely jam wide open as soon as you start it(this has happed to me) so this is good advice :)

Last edited:

muldrick

Apr 14, 2010
Eastern Shore
Alright, I messed around with it, and found the C clip on the third spot.
That's what was causing my idle to be so high and random.
I put the clip on the second spot, runs MUCH better.
I still have an intermittent rich or lean situation on acceleration.
I haven't run it much so I'll run it some more and then inspect the color of the spark plug.

Thank you all for your great help and advise...you're awesome!!! :)