Hmm should I?

GoldenMotor.com

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I've noticed some oil leaking from around the spark plug and never thought much of it until my clutch finally got quieter. That's when I noticed an odd sound from the engine every now and then. It was like a hissing, sucking, pop that you could barely notice. I checked all the usual air leak suspects and found nothing so I decided it had to be the plug. I went and got a cheap plug to rob of its gasket since the only parts store in town doesn't carry a plug that will work in the little china girls. I then swapped the gaskets and took it for a test ride and everything seemed ok for a few blocks. Then the sound came back. After it cooled I examined the plug gasket and noticed it wasn't flat. IMG0067A.jpg
Yes I know my pics suck but I never saw the need for a camera other than my phone tell now.
I put the plug in without a gasket and found this IMG0069A.jpg IMG0070A.jpg

Now I can't decide if I should try to level it out myself since I don't want to wait 2 weeks or if I should wait for Zoom/Powerking to get back to me about a replacement since it's not even a month old. I would just buy a new one since there so cheap but I can't seem to find a 49cc slant head at any of the sponsors here that sell Flying Horse kits and am not sure if any others would fit properly. Now I sit and debate if I should try to grind it down so the plug sits level using the flat side of a Dremal cutoff wheel or go without wheels for a couple weeks. That's if Zoom even has one to replace it with or sell me.
:-||

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
How long have you had that motor? you may want to see if the dealer will warranty it or at least the head. The hole for the plug was bored on an angle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Looks like it got cross threaded to me, but I doubt they will fix it under warranty, unless it was like that from the beginning.

If you somehow did it, you have two choices, take it out, and CAREFULLY try to re-thread it in straight, using lots of oil and take your time. If you can't and they won't honor the warranty, a head is not too expensive.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
It was bored at an angle like Kevlarr said, it just took me 3 weeks to notice it. I tried to call Zoom several times today but always got the machine. Hopefully they will call me back or actually answer tomorrow but the website doesn't show any 49cc slant heads in-stock anyway so who knows if they even have one to send me. I think I've checked about every one of the stores on both sides of the page here and still can't find a 49cc slant head cap.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I have no clue, I haven't taken any measurements yet. Every sight I have looked at doesn't show any measurements and I want to stick to a slant anyway. Looks like I might have to scour ebay.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Found 2 on ebay but BGF describes his as a slant and has a picture of a normal head lol. The other I have never heard of but has 1328 feedback with 98.2% positive. Neither offers combined shipping so I'd end up near $40 for the head and gaskets. :eek:

I just hope I can contact Zoom/Powerkingshop and they have and preferably give me a replacement without asking me to send the whole kit back. Now to go double check for cross threading even though I have always put the plug in by hand before snugging with a socket and never felt any resistance.