Help needed with coaster brake clearance

GoldenMotor.com

FlyingHorse87

Jun 27, 2010
Jeannette, PA
I started my first build yesterday and it is being difficult. I'm using a Flying Horse 66cc engine on a OP Roller single speed with coaster brakes. The problem is my sprocket won't fit over the hub and bracket for the brake, the inside hole doesn't fit over it. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any sugestions?

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I started my first build yesterday and it is being difficult. I'm using a Flying Horse 66cc engine on a OP Roller single spped with coaster brakes. The problem is my sprocket won't fit over the hub and bracket for the brake, the inside hole doesn't fit over it. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any sugestions?
I had the same problem and I know there may be more than one cure for it but what I did was just use a cutting torch and make the hole in my sprocket bigger so it would go aver that dust cover on the coaster brake wheel. If you dont have a torch just take it to a local welding shop or someone you know that does have one and it will take about 5 minutes to fix you up.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Remove the dust cap and grind off the lip with a dremel. Put the dust cap on the outside of the sprocket.

If you grind off the edge of the dust cap; the dust cap should go back on the way it's supposed to, & the sprocket should fit over it.

To Flying Horse... Remove the brake arm then bolt on the sprocket.

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
I just built that same bike...These guys are right.. Take off the dust cover and grind the lip off ...The sprocket will not fit over the hub.. because of the mounting pads that sandwich the spokes..But it need to be centered with it..

FlyingHorse87

Jun 27, 2010
Jeannette, PA
Thanks everbody, I'm going to enlarge the center hole on the sprocket. I took the dust cap and bracket off to put the sprocket on the first time, didn't relize it was for the brakes.