how to make a cheap layback seatpost.

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a note,
If you want to buy one Ghent Cruisers sells them and, I have a brother who used to own The Masonville Garage (Model A Parts) (now non existent) whom some of you may have done business with back in the 70's & 80's, who built mine for me. It depends on what you want but he built mine of solid steel. I think I could persuade him to do a little manufacturing if you want me to look into it. I had a little altering done on mine because I had an idea in mind of what I was going to do with it. no funny ideas now, that thing would hurt!
Norm
Nice tank! I have the same one. Wish they still made em DWW They are awesome

Dontwannawalk

Dec 23, 2009
Iowa
Nice tank! I have the same one. Wish they still made em DWW They are awesome
Thanks Dan, I'm taking this slow & trying to get it the way I really want it. I might even put a motor on it! Have you a picture of yours with the tank or are you still in the building process with it?
Norm

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Norm, Is still in the box it came in! lol. will post pics soon. Is going on a Wally world Point beach with a harbor fright 79cc, Firebelly (my) belt drive, Civilized tach, 2Door light (solar powered 6V) with a ball/ tung trailer! worlds ugliest MB! snork but gonna be so cool

Really is gonna be butt fugly but man, I love her all ready

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
OK< FOr anyone interested. Get a holiday popcorn tin. You know, the big ones that are about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. (garage sale for $.50) Get a clay flower pot smaller than the diameter of the tin. (10" usually works best) Get a bag of Portland Cement for Lowes or Home Depot or wherever. Get a squirrel cage blower or an old hair dryer. Get a 1 1/2" diameter galvanized steel pipe about 18" long.
Longer if fine. CUt a hole in the tin the same diameter as the pipe, and you cut the hole at a place where it will be near the bottom of the flower pot, assuming the flower pot rim will be level with the rim of the tin. Bung the hole up and mix the cement. Pour the cement in the tin to about 1/3 full. Push the flower pot down into the tin until it is level with the tin. Hopefully some cement has overflowed. If not, add more cement. Put a heavy weight on the top to keep the flower pot form floating out. After about 6-8 hours, remove the bung and scrape out the cement in the hole you made earlier. Do this until you completely see the flower pot through the hole. Let this sit for about two weeks. It has to cure. After two weeks, smash through the hole and put in your blower pipe. Add air source, charcoal and you now have a charcoal blast furnace. If you are really cheap, you can use soup cans as a crucible, but they will only work for one melt. I've been doing it for years. Sometimes I cast stuff. Sometimes I pour the aluminum down ant holes. Very neat sculptures. I hope to cast personalized heads, but I dont have a lathe. Maybe some day. There's more to it than what I wrote, but that gets you the main points. Jim

That sounds awesome Jim! Please do post. Love this about this crazy. Always some thing to learn an' some one sharing "How to"

.flg.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
maybe i should change the title of this thread to;

"how to make a cheap layback seatpost that apparently only works great for me and no one else should ever try it because even though i've never bent one, you might, so go get one welded somewhere..."
haha so many naysayers out there. although at 215lbs Ive sat on some "custom laybacks" and felt them flex..

Skinnypartdeux

Jan 26, 2013
Louisiana
awesome thread! it has good info, sarcasm and ingenuity! My kinda recipe! I read this right before I left work at 5:15pm and had a pair of handlebars hacked and mounted by 6:30! It's amazing how much more comfortable 4 inches makes! Thanks for the idea!

Skinnypartdeux

Jan 26, 2013
Louisiana
Thanks Dan, I think I might have to get another though. I thought a little more about it after I rode it a little while that only the 2 inch "ballooned" part of the handlebar is gripping in the seat stay, so I'm a little worried the the concentrated pressure might be putting too much stress on the weld, and because it can only grip there I only have one seat height, and I would like it a little lower. But at least now I know how much of a better/more comfortable ride I can have!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan says that riding without a lay-back seat post makes him feel like he's "doing The Chicken Dance". I always thought that was funny cause I know what he means.

I want my saddle way out back where I can lean over a bit. But maybe that's 'cause I'm an old guy and leaning over just comes naturally. :)

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just did this on my 98cc build. I like it a lot. Haven't ridden it yet, the bike's still a little ways off from being done, but I sat on it and I like the extra distance. Because of the way my handlebars are shaped, I'm still not leaning.