Went to the bike shop to replace broken spokes and....

GoldenMotor.com

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
I found out that it's gonna cost me $60 to replace the 9 broken spokes including labor. He also told me that the hub clamped adapter would break spokes too, although not as quickly as the stock sprocket mount would.

So I've decided to just spend the $54 and get this wheel that was suggested to me in another thread:
HUSKY T-124 (pre-2002) Rear Wheel: Husky Bicycles

Here's my question..it says that the wheel requires a 15mm axle, and looking at the axles on the parts page, I'm not sure that it would work with my mountain bike..unless I'm mistaken. I've also got a 5 speed cassette to worry about too.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
spend a little more and get a new bike at walmart for $70-$99,keep your old bike for parts.
Yeah, I could buy a throw away bike from wal mart, but the problem still exists. The wheel and spokes weren't designed for a motorized chain drive system. The spokes will still break.

I'm not willing to spend $50 a month on a new wheel to keep rolling.

And Redb66, it seems that you actually don't have to be a dealer to buy. I was able to create an account and have gone all the way to the portion where you give your CC number. I think it just asks for a company name if you own a bike shop or bike company. The fields are italicized which indicates to me that the fields are optional. In fact, when you get to the CC info page, it indicates at the bottom that the italicized fields are optional.

Last edited:

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
My Wal-Mart special, $86.00, has 1200 miles with original wheels, never broken one spoke (knock on wood). I think they must be like the engines, some are good some are bad.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have Husky wheels, front and back- the heavy duty ones with 11ga spokes. I can't tell you if they would fit your bike, but the fit mine with a standard cruiser frame fine. When you get a look at 11ga spokes and compare them with standard 14ga, you will understand why I have no fear of broken spokes.

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
maybe a bad install job,that would cause the spokes to brake too.
you could buy a spokeless mag wheel.
Hmm...interesting idea. Could you provide a link to a specific site that would sell these?

I haven't mentioned it, but I suppose it's important. This motor is mounted to a Roadmaster MTB with 26" Alex X-101 rims.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
aerospoke and synergy sells 26" mag wheels,but there strong and very expensive.$300-500
heres a link for wheels and bike parts,but i dont think they have mag wheels bigger than 20",but they might have a heavy duty spoke wheel.
Mag Wheels | BikepartsUSA
or you can try e-bay: they have some 26" mags for $80-160

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Hmm...interesting idea. Could you provide a link to a specific site that would sell these?

I haven't mentioned it, but I suppose it's important. This motor is mounted to a Roadmaster MTB with 26" Alex X-101 rims.
I used to have alota problems with spoke wheels before I moved on to "no spoke" wheels from ebay. Theyre tough as. Check this out:

Unique No Spoke 26" Bike Rims-For 7 Gears:Satin Black - eBay Bicycle Parts, Cycling, Outdoor Sports, Sporting Goods. (end time 11-Apr-09 18:59:04 AEST)

But you gotta do a little mod on the rear sprocket to fit it in but I dont have any more broken spokes (or nuts!) auflg

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
We are a Sturmey Archer Dealer of Drum brakes and Dynamo Drum brakes but you don't have to be a dealer to buy from Husky Bikes either. That's an impossibe price to compete w/ though I paid $30+ for shipping and I wasn't very impressed w/ their packing and customer service. So make sure you tell them to pack your item so that it will arrive in new condition.

We can build you a matching rear that won't break spokes and will rigidly mount the sprocket so you don't have to use the kit rubber donuts for not much more than your repair estimate.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
thats a good price for those 26"mag wheels $80,even thou its $80 for shipping too=$160
but these wheels are worth $300-500 dollars on other websites ive looked at.
but its cheaper to go with 11 gauge spokes or heavy duty wheels for like $50.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I had no problems with the packing of my Husky Wheel and it was shipped real fast. The wheel has been flawless with almost a 1000 miles on it.

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
I LIKE THOSE "no spoke" WHEELS... I MAY HAVE TO BUY SOME.
700C WITH A THREADED CASSETTE MAY BE HARDER TO FIND AND LIKELY MORE BREAD...
I GOT A CLAM ADAPTER THAT I HAD TO TAKE A CARBIDE TO. I GOT IT TO WORK AND NOTHING EVEN TOUCHES THE SPOKES, SO ALL THE FORCE IS ON THE HUB. I STILL BATTLE WITH TRYING TO KEEP MY SPROCKET TRUE, BUT I HAVEN'T WRECKED A WHEEL YET.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
try a electric bike wheel,they have heavy gauge spokes,are heavy duty and comes with a sprocket,i know its not the right size sprocket,but you can bolt your sprocket to that one.

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
thats a good price for those 26"mag wheels $80,even thou its $80 for shipping too=$160
but these wheels are worth $300-500 dollars on other websites ive looked at.
but its cheaper to go with 11 gauge spokes or heavy duty wheels for like $50.
Yep I agree. I would go for the 11 guage spoke wheels.. they are heavy duty and definitly are greater value for around $50

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I found out that it's gonna cost me $60 to replace the 9 broken spokes including labor. He also told me that the hub clamped adapter would break spokes too, although not as quickly as the stock sprocket mount would.

So I've decided to just spend the $54 and get this wheel that was suggested to me in another thread:
HUSKY T-124 (pre-2002) Rear Wheel: Husky Bicycles

Here's my question..it says that the wheel requires a 15mm axle, and looking at the axles on the parts page, I'm not sure that it would work with my mountain bike..unless I'm mistaken. I've also got a 5 speed cassette to worry about too.

Any suggestions?
Josh, the genius at the bike shop that told you "A hub clamped adapter would break spokes too, although not as quickly as the stock sprocket mount would", has no idea what he is talking about.

Don't forget that there is someone Engineering proper parts for this application.

(EDIT), As others have stated; it is best to use a quality wheel with heavy guage spokes, but this is not a substitute for a hub mount.

Jim

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I agree Jim, why does the bike shop guy think the the hub clamp adaptors are going to break spokes. They put absolutley no pressure on the spokes. Oh, I had a guy asking me about a adaptor to fit a 68 spoke rim. I told him about yours since you only use the three bolts. He could work with that easy. I also told him he would need to give you the two diameters, hub and spoke flange.

John

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Have to agree with Jim, Think your bike shop guy is mistaken. literally have only used one good wheel for a build. The rest have been Walmart or some other lesser brand bikes with cheap and cheesy wheels and spokes and have yet to break one spoke. As the broken spoke thing comes up a lot, I always wondered how come my cheapie builds never break 'em. I really dunno but think the most plausible answer is in not over tightening.

I am more pondering then suggesting.

Building the Honda, I read Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits! installation page. (was very good) But on the sprocket, is states that when getting the wobble out, tighten it down then loosen, not tighten to get it even. Obviously, not to lose or slappen' around freely.

I am really not suggesting any thing and am just wondering. Helped a buddy build a bike yesterday. Always makes ya worry.