trying something new

GoldenMotor.com

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Joined this forum just today. For months I have been planning, revising, replanning, scrapping, reconceptualizing, and planning all over again. I have found much helpful information here, and hope to glean more as this project moves forward.

I have the bikes purchased. The style of finished unit is established. Which motor kit to buy is still open for debate, and certain key parts have yet to be located. Initially, I believe I will assemble the kit in standard form, at, least through break in, decide which weak spots I can live with, which need strengthening, and how much and which mods make sense.

Thank you in advance for direct help, and all the posts I have already learned from.

Greetings from Indiana,
Mike

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome aboard!
prolly the smart thing to do, is by a kit have something to ride and get the feel. That way you can take your time a read,study the forum, and take your time with a second build. There is a ton of good info here,just takes time to study.................Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mike, welcome to the forum.
Your planned approach to building your first motorized bicycle is a wise one. Don't get carried away with too much too soon. Stick with a basic build, gain some knowledge and experience then go from there.

In short, let common sense dictate your progress. Master the basics and you'll be a winner. Keep us informed with your progress and we're always here if you need help or advice..
Good luck and have fun.

Tom

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Thanks for the welcome. I have always been a chopper/bobber builder, but this is a new challenge. The size/ weight/horsepower limits inspire me, and bring alive in me the ideas and inspiration I think the first riders might have had, with the added tech and materials we have today.

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Frame is prepped. Fenders properly bobbed and brackets rebuilt. Wheels and bearings packed and torqued to shimano specs. Haven't modified the coaster arm yet because my wheel parts haven't arrived for exact fitment . 69cc kit customized , ordered, and paid for. Thanks That's Dax for your advice and adaptive customer service.

Now its time for waiting, nail biting, and second guessing.

Last edited:

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
So far, I've built torn down, and rebuilt this frame and wheels a dozen times. Looks like apart it comes again. I found my color in a spray bomb tonight. This stuff is FUN!!!

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Not bad. The kit was great. I had to order a different chain breaker. The one i got is too small. The hub i chose was HUGE. So i had to open up the sprocket hole. Then there is the rain. I don't want to take my first run on wet streets. You should drop by and see it.

Last edited:

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
Got all the little things(that i know about or could dream up) nailed down. The chain finally gave it up. I guess i wasn't cussing it enough. its fueled and i went through and checked tightness on every fastener . I double zip tied everything. Im ready to test ride. but its 11:30 at night. Im pretty sure someone would manage to call a cop.

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
One complete day of riding a motorized bicycle has shown me that many of my assumptions were incorrect. Some ideas are great on paper yet less than stellar in actual practice. There is definitely a learning curve.

Sure is fun though! Riding around this town has raised the curiosity level as well.